Professor Julio Licinio of the John Curtin School of Medical Research has written a beautiful blog about the need to fund medical research in Australia, in response to suggestions that the National Health and Medical Research Council may suffer budget cuts in the next federal budget.
There are rallies across Australia today to show your support for medical research funding. There’s a Canberra Rally at the John Curtin School of Medical Research, ANU, at 12:30 – 15:30. There’s a facebook page if you’d like more info.
If you can’t attend the rally in person, consider joining the Twitter rally. Between 12 noon and 2 pm today tweet with the hashtag #supportresearch. Some of their suggestions are:
- Discoveries need dollars. Prime Minister @JuliaGillard, protect Australia’s medical research funding. Don’t cut our budget. #protectresearch
- I care. I support medical research. Don’t cut the research budget. #protectresearch
- I vote. I support medical research. Don’t cut the research budget. #protectresearch
- I was helped by medical research. Now I’m returning the favour. Protect medical research. Don’t cut the research budget. #protectresearch
- Discoveries need dollars: I want medical research funding protected in Australia #protectresearch
- The US and China are increasing medical research funding, why aren’t we? #protectresearch
Full instructions, for the twitter-averse, are here.
If you, or someone you know has benefited from medical science there’s an excellent chance that the NHMRC funded some research into it at some point. Why not take a moment to give something back?