Halloween falls on a gig day this year, which means that music fans are spoilt for choice when it comes to spooky shows and parties to head out to on Saturday night. The Old Canberra Inn, Fiction nightclub and The Basement are all hosting Halloween-themed gigs and Smith’s Alternative will be the setting for Fright Fest, a variety show and fundraiser for the Brain Foundation.
Two of the city’s finest grunge bands are taking over Smith’s the night before. Blue Moon Vibes will feature performances from Matriarch and Dead Lazarus who are encouraging punters to dress in blue for this rare (and noisy) occasion.
Bon Iver collaborator and ARIA nominee Gordi will take to Canberra Theatre Centre’s Playhouse stage for a stripped-back, intimate set of songs from her acclaimed second album Our Two Skins. The album’s sparse, stark arrangements are the perfect match for Gordi’s deeply personal songwriting and a sit-down show in the theatre’s beautiful surrounds might just be the ideal way to experience it.
- Kim Yang: Lunchbox Acoustic @ Garema Place – 12:00 pm
- Pandemic Consolations @ Wesley Music Centre – 12:40 pm
- Old Timey Wednesday @ Smith’s Alternative – 4:00 pm
- Live Jazz: Leisa Keen & John Mackey @ Molly – 6:00 pm
- Music In The Evening @ Wesley Music Centre – 7:00 pm
- ANU Orchestra @ Llewellyn Hall – 7:30 pm
- Canberra Symphony Orchestra: Alan Vivian in Recital @ Ainslie Arts Centre – 7:30 pm
- Karaoke Night @ 88mph – 8:00 pm
- Victor Rufus Trio @ Hippo Co – 8:00 pm.
- Molly House Band @ Molly – 9:30 pm.
- Lunchbox Acoustic @ Garema Place – 12:00 pm
- Joshua Veneris @ Hopscotch – 4:00 pm
- Acoustic Fridays @ Hotel Kurrajong – 4:30 pm
- The Faumuis @ Public Manuka – 5:00 pm
- Bri Cowlishaw @ National Press Club – 6:00 pm
- ACT Pub Rock @ The Basement – 7:00 pm
- The Black Mountain String Band @ Austrian Australian Club – 7:30 pm
- Blue Moon Vibes @ Smith’s Alternative – 8:00 pm
- Gordi @ Canberra Theatre Centre – 8:00 pm
- Tori Chard @ The Lighthouse Pub – 9:00 pm
- Halloween Ft Blanke @ Fiction – 9:00 pm.
- Good Gosh: Halloween at OCI @ Old Canberra Inn – 2:00 pm
- Fright Fest @ Smith’s Alternative – 2:00 pm
- Guitar Case Troubadours @ Artists Shed – 6:00 pm
- Chad Croker @ Public Manuka – 6:30 pm
- A Night of 90s Hits: Halloween Party @ The Basement – 6:30 pm
- Mitch Canas @ Lighthouse Pub – 9:00 pm.
- Canberra Symphony Orchestra: Recital Four @ National Gallery of Australia – 11:00 am
- November Walkup @ Canberra Irish Club – 1:30 pm
- Chillin in the Shed @ Artists Shed – 2:00 pm
- Siobhan McGrath @ Edgar’s Inn – 3:00 pm
- Canberra Strings @ Wesley Music Centre – 3:00 pm
- Fantastic Planet Film & Live Soundtrack @ sideway – 4:00 pm.