Ummm, yes… So where were we?
Looking back it started over the weekend. RiotACT was still pushing out data at a furious rate but there were complaints from within our bunker that the internet was slow.
Gradually, in fits and starts, it got worse. In the afternoon it would get better. Because it was asymmetrical, as is our data, it was hard at times to even notice there was a problem. We push out a lot more bits than we pull in and the error seemed to match it, data could get out but not in. Eventually even simple get requests from your web-browsers couldn’t make it in to trigger the website to send you data back.
And yet… and yet… the lights all stayed green, they flickered appropriately, all indicators were normal within our systems. And it kept getting better! And then worse! Surely some external event had to be responsible?
While initially distrustful of the protestations of innocence from TransACT and our ISP (from hard-won experience) eventually there was only one thing for it, put in a PPPoE connection in front of our long serving router and see if we could then connect at a more appropriate rate.
Here’s the hard-worked suspect:
The little RT314 has been beavering away for five years without skipping a beat. So long that I had to telnet onto it to even find out what the userid is for our connection (fortunately we did have a good record of the password).
And when I jacked my laptop direct into TransACT, lo and behold, suddenly the internet was working properly.
So I set up a placeholder page on the laptop and left it there to answer your queries about where RiotACT had gone.
Meanwhile Kramer was getting our spare router configured for duty. It had failed miserably in its previous role as a wireless access point in a very complicated network but we were hopeful it would respond better to being at the top of the stack.
The first go was not promising, the range of IP addresses it was assigning wasn’t right, but luckily we had another laptop handy which we were able to plug in and convince it to change its ways.
Then we let it rip on the pipe to TransACT and had a heart wrenching 30 second delay before it fired up and started talking.
Finally we had to get the bunker’s computers back on the net, at which point we found out the new router was interfering with the bunker’s wireless network. Once we identified the problem a repositioning of routers brought everything back to the way it should be.
So, as promised, RiotACT was brought back online this afternoon. Our newish server now paired with a newish router.
We now await a new and different technological catastrophe.
We hope you were productive while we were away.