15 May 2013

Second food poisoning outbreak in Canberra

| Barcham
Join the conversation
10
Ewww.

Emergency wards are clogged up with over 80 people suffering from food poisoning, and things look like they’re about to get worse.

Another food poisoning incident has occurred, reports ABC News.

ACT Health has also confirmed a second and unrelated food poisoning outbreak at an unnamed venue in Canberra’s south, with up to 150 people potentially exposed at the weekend.

It is not confirming how many people fell ill, but says none were admitted to hospital and the outbreak was of a shorter duration.

Both venues remain closed.

ACT chief health officer Dr Paul Kelly says hospitals have activated emergency response plans and the Health Emergency Operations Centre at Holder is coordinating the response.

“It’s put a lot of stress on the emergency department. The emergency departments of both hospitals have been extremely busy over the last month so to have something like this really tests that system. We have a winter plan which we envisioned using for influenza. So it’s good to see them actually working,” he said.

He says they expect there will be more cases.

“We have the booking list from the restaurant and contact numbers. There’s still a number of groups we haven’t contacted. There was quite a large number of people at this restaurant over the weekend,” he said.

Dr Kelly says ACT Health investigators are working closely with the restaurant’s staff to identify the cause.

“The issue with this particular restaurant being buffet style, is that pretty much everyone ate everything,” he said.


UPDATE: ACT Health’s statement is now available. One suspects that if not for the major outbreak this one would have passed unremarked.

Join the conversation

10
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Latest

FioBla said :

Thank goodness Skywhale didn’t eat there.

Ha.. full marks FioBla

FioBla said :

Thank goodness Skywhale didn’t eat there.

+1

pink little birdie4:10 pm 15 May 13

c_c™ said :

Someone named the restaurant on Facebook however they deleted the comment shortly after. Out of consideration though to those Southside establishments though who do a fine job, I will say it’s not a stand alone restaurant if that post was accurate.

not too many restraunts do buffet style southside…

Thank goodness Skywhale didn’t eat there.

Someone named the restaurant on Facebook however they deleted the comment shortly after. Out of consideration though to those Southside establishments though who do a fine job, I will say it’s not a stand alone restaurant if that post was accurate.

It’s interesting that you chose that particular image from the website of “The Copa”. I would’ve thought this one better described the potential cause: http://www.thecopa.com.au/images/image-b1.jpg

astrojax said :

it was the salmon mousse, surely?

Probably, and don’t call me Shirley…

astrojax said :

it was the salmon mousse, surely?

That salmon mousse must be exhausted by now.

it was the salmon mousse, surely?

Looks like it may be further up the food chain than previously thought.. Find the common supplier to all outbreaks and thats your source.

Id hate to have said anything that could be defamatory about the previous outbreaks lest someone get libel on my arse.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.