There’s nothing like a cool dip in a swimming pool when the weather gets warmer. Whether you swim to get fit, or just for fun, finding a fantastic aquatic centre is an absolute must.
We’ve done our research and come up with a list of the top three swimming pools in the Canberra region.
If you have a go-to aquatic centre that we didn’t mention, please share your recommendations in the comments area. We’d love to know where you and your family get fit and cool down.
Let’s get straight into it.
What Makes a Great Swimming Pool Experience?
For fitness or for fun, time spent at a swimming pool should always be positive. So, what exactly should you be looking for in a great swimming pool experience?
Here’s what we think.
- Clean. There’s nothing worse than swimming in a pool, only to find rubbish, bugs, or other nasties floating alongside you. The facilities surrounding the pool should be clean too, including the bathrooms/change rooms, the seating area, and the tuck shop.
- The right temperature. In summer, there’s nothing better than jumping into a cold swimming pool. But, Canberra isn’t warm all year round, and if you plan on swimming through the cooler months, you’ll need to find a heated swimming pool. Heated pools shouldn’t be as warm as a bathtub, but they shouldn’t give you the chills, either.
- Flexible pricing. Many pools offer money-saving pricing plans that allow the whole family to make use of the swimming pool as often as they like. Look for a pool with a pricing plan that suits your unique needs.
- Excellent facilities. The best pools have well-equipped change rooms, bathrooms, and showers. Some offer equipment (such as kickboards) for hire, and others offer hot food and coffee for an after-swim pick-me-up. Consider what’s important to you, and look for a pool with excellent facilities.
- Friendly, qualified staff. Swimming pools can be dangerous, and if you plan to take little kids to the pool, you’ll want staff that are both friendly and qualified.
- A pool that suits your needs. If you are swimming laps, you’ll want a fairly long pool with lots of lanes. If you want to have fun with your kids, look for an aquatic centre with slides, fountains, and other fun features.
The Top 3 Swimming Pools in Canberra
Here are our picks for the best swimming pools in Canberra.
1. Dickson Aquatic Centre
Whether you plan to swim laps or have fun in the sun, Dickson Aquatic Centre is a fantastic option.
The centre is home to three outdoor heated pools: a seven-lane 50m pool, a shaded learners’ pool, and a shallow toddlers pool. You’ll also find a kids’ water play park, BBQ facilities, beach volley ball courts, picnic tables, and a café.
In addition to their swimming pools, Dickson Aquatic Centre offers swimming lessons and massage therapy.
2. Club Blue at the Canberra International Sports and Aquatic Centre
If you want to enjoy the water all year round, Club Blue could be the swimming pool for you. Club blue has three incredible pools: a 10-lane 50m Olymic sized pool, a 5-lane 25m pool, and a leisure pool with a beach entry and a whirlpool area.
There’s also plenty for the kids to do, with Canberra’s first indoor waterslide, a water hedgehog, mushroom fountains, and more.
3. Manuka Swimming Pool
If you’re looking for some good old-fashioned family fun in the summer, visit the Manuka Swimming Pool. Dating back to 1931, this classic pool features stunning art deco architecture, and large, well-kept grassy grounds.
Which Canberra Swimming Pool Do You Visit?
Let us know in the comments section below.