Pilots of Baalbek (pictured) are a local act cut from the same cloth as Hawkwind, Giuda and others, merging styles such as “70s styled space rock, glam, boogie, proto-punk and rock ‘n roll”. Check them out as they take to the stage as part of Punknats at the Old Canberra Inn, alongside Charlotte & The Harlots, Australis Uber Alles, Sketch Method and much more.
For those remaining Canberrans not hitting up the surf this weekend, this is a handful of gigs to get yourself to this week. Thursday at Smith’s Alternative sees the launch of a whole new genre named lo-fi classical, pioneered by Caleb Liaw and showcased on his new album, “Scorpion Embers”. On Friday, head on over to The Basement for a night dedicated to the late, great Bob Marley, held by King B-Fine and Afrikaya Band from 9:30 pm.
As well as Punknats at the Old Canberra Inn, David Bath will be turning 50, and to celebrate will be putting on a show at Smith’s starring his band The Hot Tubs, People I Love and freewheelin’ rockabillies The Get Downs from 6 pm. Then on Monday, all the way from Michigan USA is Lindsay Lou, bringing her acclaimed roots stylings to Smith’s Alternative, starting from 7 pm.
- Soul Jazz’s 16 Hour Knees Up feat. Kahn & Neek @ The Pot Belly, 2 pm start
- Lo-Fi Classical: Scorpion Embers @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- King B-Fine and Afrikaya Band @ The Basement, 9:30 pm start
- Punknats: Charlotte & The Harlots, Australis Uber Alles, Pilots of Baalbek, Oaf, Tweekerz, Stacy Gacy, Space Boozzies, Unbound, Sketch Method and Cream Soda @ Old Canberra Inn, 2 pm start
- David Bath & The Hot Tubs w/ The Get Downs and People I Love @ Smith’s Alternative, 6 pm start
- 360 @ Summernats, 9:30 pm start
- Sunday Jazz Jam @ Smith’s Alternative, 1:30 pm start
- Lindsay Lou @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 pm start
- BANG!! BENG!! BING!! BONG!! BUNG!! @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 pm start