Trial date set for man accused of sexually assaulting Brittany Higgins at Parliament House

Albert McKnight 18 November 2021
Brittany Higgins

ACT Policing alleged Bruce Lehrmann sexually assaulted Brittany Higgins in March 2019. Photo: Facebook.

The trial of the man accused of sexually assaulting former political staffer Brittany Higgins in Parliament House could start next June, with the prosecution indicating it’s ready to proceed.

Earlier this year, ACT Policing alleged 26-year-old Bruce Lehrmann had sex with Ms Higgins without her consent at Parliament House on 23 March 2019.

The ACT Magistrates Court has previously heard he will plead not guilty to one count of sexual intercourse without consent.

During the first appearance of the case in the ACT Supreme Court on Thursday (18 November), both parties agreed to set 6 June 2022 as a tentative start date for the trial.

“We’re largely ready to go,” Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold SC said.

The court heard the Crown prosecution expected the trial would run for about three weeks, while the defence believed it could stretch to four.


READ ALSO: Man accused of raping Brittany Higgins committed to Supreme Court for trial


Registrar Jayne Reece set the case for a special fixture to the date in June, but said parties could come back to the court if that date was unsuitable.

She also scheduled the case for mentions and a case conference from December to February and continued Mr Lehrmann’s bail. He is currently residing in Queensland.

Region Media has obtained consent to name Ms Higgins as the alleged victim in the matter.


CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

 Top
Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site