Early morning raves, Gregorian chants and speed dating are just a few of this weekend’s highlights. Let us know what we’ve missed in the comments.
- See the Brumbies take on the Waratahs at GIO Stadium on Friday. Kick off is at 7.40pm.
- Join Kayakcameraman Paul Jurak and Hilary Wardhaugh for #PhotowalkCanberra Afloat! Meeting at 5.30am on Saturday, the pair will host a dawn event paddling through the Jerrabomberra Wetlands photographing the early morning birdlife and flora.
- CBR Brave take on Adelaide Adrenaline at Phillip Ice Skating Centre on Saturday from 5.30pm.
- If you’re going to watch the showdown between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather on Sunday, you may as well do it with a beer in hand. Zierholz at UC and The Dock on Kingston Foreshore will both be screening the fight, live from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
- Folk rock outfit The Audreys play at The Abbey from 6.30pm on Friday.
- Experience the diversity of Ugandan music at the African Children’s Choir Concert on Friday 1 May from 7pm at Canberra Girls Grammar.
- The Igitur Nos Chamber Choir will perform at the High Court of Australia on Sunday from 1.30pm. Enjoy Gregorian chants and music from the Renaissance to the Romantics and beyond.
Markets and festivals
- The annual Griffith Street Party is on at M16 Artspace from 12pm to 4pm on Saturday. Don’t miss this family friendly community event that combines art, food and jazz.
- A Chorus of Women’s Inaugural Festival for Peace includes music, forums and workshops with children’s events. It runs until Saturday at Albert Hall.
- Australia’s only traveling regional music festival, Groovin The Moo returns to Canberra on Sunday with acts including Peaches, Wolfmother, Hilltop Hoods, A$AP Ferg and more.
- Relax on the lawns of Government House for Sunday Dreaming, an afternoon of Indigenous art with music, food and wine. Organisers say it’s a unique opportunity to purchase artworks and wares from across Australia and to sample some of Canberra’s finest food and regional wines.
- Kids aged five and over can make a special card for mum this Mother’s Day using recycled materials, books, stamps, punches and bling at Belconnen Library from 10.30am on Saturday. Bookings are essential.
- Rebel Muse on Lonsdale Street will celebrate its grand opening on Saturday from 10am. There will be champagne, cupcakes and balloons.
- The Eighth Australian Print Symposium runs all weekend at the National Gallery of Australia.
- Try your hand at speed dating on Sunday from 2.30pm at Me & Mrs Jones in Kingston. Limited seats available.
What are your plans for the weekend?