News

Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

31 October 2011 the last day for light plastic shopping bags

By johnboy - 28 October 2010 105

[First filed: Oct 27, 2010 @ 10:31]

plastic bags

Simon Corbell has announced the end of light plastic shopping bags with the final ban to be in place from 1 November next year.

Before panicking bear in mind there will be many exemptions:

The Plastic Shopping Bags Ban Bill 2010 will ban the supply of plastic shopping bags of 35 microns or less, generally the type distributed through supermarkets, grocery stores and takeaway food outlets.

A range of bags will be unaffected by the ban, including barrier bags of the type dispensed from a roll to hold items such as fruit or meat and heavier retail bags used in department, footwear and clothing stores.

The Government expects that retailers will provide a range of bags to consumers to replace light weight plastic bags including reuseable ‘green’ bags, paper bags and biodegradable bags which meet Australian Standard AS 4736-2006. The sale of plastic bin liners for waste containers in the home is unaffected by the ban.

I’m still not sure how we’re getting greasy take-away home without making a mess in the car, but we’re going to find out.

UPDATE: The Greens’ Caroline Le Couteur has expressed her pleasure at this piece of Green policy being adopted.

What’s Your opinion?

105 Responses to
31 October 2011 the last day for light plastic shopping bags
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
moneypenny2612 8:00 pm 27 Oct 10

Amanda Hugankis said :

That’s good – cos I sure as hell dont want to start trying to compost tampons/pads and what-have-you. The only other ‘environmental’ solution I can see is just wrap these up in newspaper, and place on the countertop till we go out to our wheelie bins/hoppers.

Instead of tampons/pads, perhaps you might like to consider using a lunette (moon) cup?

Reuseable and much more comfortable and hygienic than a tampon. The manufacturer also sells reuseable cloth pads (which is really back to the future – just like nana…).

I’ve been using a lunette for years and have no regrets and no dramas: http://www.lunette.com.au/

KB1971 7:55 pm 27 Oct 10

JC said :

schmeah said :

Most people have those recycable green bags now anyway, so hopefully this won’t be too controversial! My impression of Canberra – after 3 years – is that it’s a far more eco-friendly city than elsewhere in the country (except for those old buses .. )

I know this is getting OT a bit, but the comment above shows how much you know. Whilst sure ACTION does have old buses, our old buses are still much newer than any other government operator in the country. ACTION normally gets rid of theirs around the 15-18 year mark, whereas other operators, including Adelaide between 20 and 25 years.

Also the greenhouse gas emission that these busses emit would more than likely be less than it takes to build a new one.

PantsMan 7:48 pm 27 Oct 10

Jethro said :

Now the other 99.999% of crap we do to the earth can be forgotten.

Proudof Canberra said :

This is becomming a totalitarian fascist state.

Stupid.Stupid.Stupid

I-filed 7:47 pm 27 Oct 10

The emissions caused by the Canberra Glassworks would be sufficient to manufacture about 1 billion plastic bags … hypocrisy much, ACT Govt?

Proudof Canberra 7:19 pm 27 Oct 10

This is totally idiotic.Plastic bags are now so biodegradeable the come apart before you are even finished with them.

Plastic bags are not killing the planet. Banning them will not change anything.

This is becomming a totalitarian fascist state.

Stupid.Stupid.Stupid

Pandy 7:14 pm 27 Oct 10

Not banned in Victoria yet. What about NSW?

schmeah 6:58 pm 27 Oct 10

Nice try Amanda Hugankis (??), but instilling an image of your sanitary by-products isn’t going to make the policy any less appealing. It’s all very tiring.

As mentioned, the supermarkets aren’t taking away your right to a plastic bag, they’re just making you part with all of 10 cents if you need one. And why can’t you use other bags for your rubbish – such as those you get when you buy a pair of shoes, or a book, or whatever it is?

And if you’re really desperate, try a Diva Cup http://www.bumbles.co.nz/products/The-Diva-Cup.html that way you’ll never have to worry about leaving your tampon anywhere.

Chaz 6:35 pm 27 Oct 10

it’s amazing that we even have to debate topics such as this…..yet when it comes to war, mobile speed cameras etc, the gov jump right in and do what they like

chewy14 6:04 pm 27 Oct 10

Who said the ACT government (with the Greens) couldn’t deliver real, effective and significant change?

Jethro 5:59 pm 27 Oct 10

This is a perfect example of the stupidity that is the human race.

‘Oh wow. We have banned plastic bags. Aren’t we a good bunch of people.”

Now the other 99.999% of crap we do to the earth can be forgotten.

Until we stop living in a society based on consumption and a fascination with non-stop economic growth, gestures like this are completely meaningless.

Meaningless clap trap.

avengerness 5:51 pm 27 Oct 10

georgesgenitals said :

You mean I’ll have to pay an extra 5 cents for a bag at Woolies? Oh the humanity!

Are they giving that option though?

I don’t care if I have to pay 5c for a bag, so be it. Banning them entirely though (if that’s the case) is a little OTT on an issue that is so far down in the list of things that could be addressed if the phony greens and labor actually WANTED to help the environment. It’s a rubbish (pardon the pun) token gesture and smacks of a commercial money grab to force people to buy bags for all sorts of waste that the shopping bags are currently used for.

Personally, I can’t use normal dog poo bags to pick up after my dog (they are too small) so I use shopping bags, heaps of other people do that around my suburb too. With no bins around here either, I reckon we could be in for a little more doggy poo being left around due to this law. Unless we of course still have the option to buy the bags at 5c.

Why are people so happy to be government regulated/nanny state ‘protected’ on everything these days?

What the hell happened to choice?

I-filed 5:42 pm 27 Oct 10

For the next year, I am going to put each individual item I buy at Woollies into a separate plastic bag including individual pieces of fruit, and start stashing and hoarding …

JC 5:36 pm 27 Oct 10

schmeah said :

Amanda Hugankis 4:54 pm 27 Oct 10

3Jane said :

emd said :

Now if I could just find a small bin the right size for those little cornstarch bags, the compost bin liner issue would be solved too.

emd, where do you get your cornstarch bags, how big are they and how much do they cost?

I recently bought a MaxAir Compost Bin, but unless I find another source, I have to buy rolls of 8L compostable bags from the manufacturer, plus shipping.

They also make All Purpose compostable Bags, for nappies, landfill, shopping, what-have-you. http://www.biobaganz.com/compostable-biodegradable-plastic-kitchen-bags.htm

georgesgenitals 4:54 pm 27 Oct 10

3Jane 4:30 pm 27 Oct 10

emd said :

altkey 3:50 pm 27 Oct 10

I’m a bit surprised that no-one has brought up the pricing of plastic bag alternatives.

I have no problem with the banning of plastic bags but I do wonder why I am asked to pay an additional sum of money by the retailer for an alternative, when previously they have provided a bag as part of the cost of purchase (the assumption therefore being that the cost of the plastic bag is built into the price of the product being purchased).

Sorry for being a bit cynical but this just seems to be another example of environmental policy where the cost is passed yet again onto the end consumer (currently doing some building works around the house so don’t get me started on the topic…)

MJay 3:34 pm 27 Oct 10

Chill out guys, the 2012 apocalypse will kill us all anyway.

I imagine many retailers will just switch to the EPI or similar bags, that said many have ALREADY made the switch, and it didn’t end in riots.

Lets all have a valium and a J.

Holditz 3:32 pm 27 Oct 10

schmeah said :

Fano, why don’t you look at the South Australian model – it’s been implemented since 2008 and there haven’t been riots because people have found themselves unpredicatably at the shops without a bag. They just have to pay 5cents (or whatever it is to use a bag – Borders in Civic also uses this option).

+1 It’s not a levy, because the stores will pass that cost on to customers anyway. It’s more like, “you want a bag, then pay for the privilege.” And the cost is kept by the store.

James-T-Kirk 3:00 pm 27 Oct 10

Thoroughly Smashed said :

Change, oh no!

I always find it funny how willing some people are to kick up a fuss over life’s trivialities.

Maybe I can contribute… Yes that’s it, if I forget my green bags, I’ll have to drive back home to get them! Personal responsibility be damned, take that environmental policy!