The ACT recorded the second highest growth rate in Australia last year but also the biggest percentage increase in deaths and decrease in births in the nation.
The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics’ figures show that the territory’s population grew by 1.8 per cent to reach 423,800 people in 2018, with 7,574 new residents choosing to make their home in the ACT.
This rate of growth was equal with Queensland’s but second to Victoria’s, with that state recording a growth rate of 2.2 per cent in 2018.
More than half of the ACT’s population growth in 2018 (around 53 per cent) came from net overseas migration, representing an extra 4,014 people.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Natural growth (births minus deaths) made up about 43 per cent of the ACT population increase – or 3,247 people.
The ACT was one of only four jurisdictions to see an increase in net interstate migration last year, amounting to a small increase of 313 people (4 per cent of the ACT population increase). The other states were Victoria, Queensland and Tasmania.
However, while the total number of births registered in 2018 increased in most states and territories, the ACT recorded a decrease of 7.0 per cent (the biggest decrease).
The total number of deaths registered last year decreased in half the states and territories but the ACT recorded the largest percentage increase at 3.7 per cent.
Overall, Australia’s population grew by 1.6 per cent during 2018 according to the ABS data released on Thursday (June 20).
“Steady growth over recent quarters has resulted in a population of 25.2 million people at 31 December 2018,” said ABS demography director Beidar Cho.
The number of births in Australia last year 2018 reached an all-time high of 314,900, with 161,900 of these births being male and 153,000 female. The previous record was 312,200 in 2012.
Natural increase accounted for 38.6 per cent of Australia’s population growth, while net overseas migration accounted for the remaining 61.4 per cent.
Net overseas migration in Australia for 2018 was 248,400 people, which was higher than the 2017 figure of 241,700. This was due to a decline in overseas migration departures and relatively stable overseas migration arrivals.
The number of births in Australia reached an all-time high last year but decreased significantly in the ACT. Why do you think that is? Let us know in the comments below.