Whether you are a first-time buyer or a seasoned investor there is no denying the attractiveness of commercial property. Long term leases and steady returns are among the many reasons that fuel a commercial property choice.
But buying commercial property assets is not risk adverse, in fact many consider it to be a high-risk investment. That is why securing the right funding and the best terms for your commercial purchase is so important.
As commercial properties can be more susceptible to economic conditions keeping your costs low and finance flexible is key. This is where a commercial mortgage broker can help. Like general mortgage brokers, commercial brokers act as an intermediary between clients and lenders.
The difference however is that they specialise in the world of commercial lending. As commercial lending policies are more complex than residential, having an experienced broker can work wonders.
Much like a corporate accountant and business solicitor; a commercial mortgage broker can play an integral role in your professional services team. They harness lending relationships to extract the best serving loan; and work hard to ensure it remains this way.
Ultimately you will want to establish a long-term commercial broking relationship. A relationship that allows you to focus on other things while your broker keeps your commercial financing competitive.
The challenge then becomes where to find one! The good news is that we have sourced the best commercial mortgage brokers in the Canberra region. Read on below to find out more.
What makes a great commercial mortgage broker?
Great commercial mortgage brokers are financing experts orchestrating sound loan terms with lenders far and wide. They are an integral part of any business owner’s professional services team, working tirelessly to keep loan costs down and options open. Here are some aspects to consider while evaluating your commercial mortgage broker:
- Qualified & licenced. The best commercial mortgage brokers will come with all the right credentials stemming from years of study. At the very minimum your commercial broker should hold a certificate IV or diploma in Finance and Mortgage Broking. The most qualified brokers hold a Bachelor of Business specialising in Financial Planning. In addition to qualifications, your commercial mortgage broker must also hold an Australian Credit License (ACL) as issued by ASIC. License holders are held to high professional standards, so look for these over representatives.
- Industry affiliated. The most reputable commercial mortgage brokers are affiliated with the leading industry bodies. Membership indicates support of ethical practises and adherence to strict codes of conduct, which of course benefits end consumers. Check for memberships with the Mortgage and Finance Association of Australia (MFAA) or the Finance Broker Association of Australia (FBAA).
- Specialised expertise. If you’re considering working with a commercial mortgage broker, then experience is undoubtedly one of the key reasons for this. For two mortgages are ever the same, and this also holds true for their brokers. Due to the complexity of commercial loans many brokers work in specialised areas. So, when it comes to sourcing your commercial loan, look for brokers with experience in this area. Consider the depth of their experience; the properties they typically service; and whether this fits your circumstance and need.
- Lender accreditations. Generally speaking; the more options a broker can offer you, the better the outcome. So, to maximise your options look for a commercial broker that works with a broad panel of lenders. The best commercial mortgage brokers are accredited with a wide range of banks, lenders, credit unions, and building societies. Importantly, understand the type of relationships your broker has with each lender, and whether they have a preference. Why? See below.
- Fees & commissions. While some commercial mortgage brokers will charge for their services, others may offer their services free of charge. Interestingly, this is because lenders tend to offer commissions for referred business. The best brokers will offer full transparency, so consider enquiring about their commissions from lenders and how these are paid.
The best commercial mortgage brokers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Clarity Home Loans are one of the most well-regarded mortgage brokers in the Canberra region. Their stellar reputation and award-winning service offering position them as a leading choice for anyone considering undertaking a commercial mortgage.
Centrally located in Canberra City, Clarity Home Loans are proudly locally owned and operated. The Clarity Home Loans team are Canberrans who are deeply passionate about helping other Canberrans source and secure the right commercial mortgage solution.
Their highly qualified and extensively experienced team are lead by Managing Director Mark Edlund, who after starting the business in 2006 has become the driving force behind their continued success. The team’s steadfast focus on the provision of ethical financial services is what sets them head and shoulders above the rest.
Their ethical mantra removes sales and product-based bias from broker recommendations ensuring the right fit is found. Unlike many broker establishments Clarity Home Loans do not incentivise their team with hefty commissions or lender kickbacks. Rather, they focus on compliance, customer satisfaction, and lender diversity.
With over 2,500 home loan products and more than 40 lenders on their panel, Clarity Home Loans are well placed to source the right lender, loan structure, and loan product to suit your commercial investment.
Each brokered mortgage is personalised to your specific circumstances, financial situation, and requirements. The team are well equipped to manage the end to end process from repayment options to tax benefits and more.
If locally respected diligent deal-makers are what you are after, look no further than the team at Clarity Home Loans.
Rob Lanfear had this to say on Google, “Amazing service and amazing people. I was initially hesitant to use a mortgage broker….I would recommend to anyone on the fence as to whether to use a broker to go for a meeting with Clarity and make up their own minds. I would certainly recommend them highly; and would use them again myself.”
Founded locally in 2016, AdvisorCorp offers holistic financial advisory services to both individuals and businesses in the Canberra region. Their approach has been specifically designed to assist local businesses and extends across accounting, taxation, and mortgage broking.
AdvisorCorp’s team of qualified and experienced consultants are structured within a single advisory hub, fulfilling all business needs under the one roof. Utilising this strategy, clients reduce overheads and double handling, thus promoting greater efficiency and of course profitability.
When it comes to business loans and finance, their team of qualified and experienced brokers at are dedicated to delivering personalised service that fosters long term outcomes. With access to thousands of loan options from over 45 of Australia’s leading lenders, AdvisorCorp are well placed to broker a competitive financial solution.
In addition to mortgage broking, AdvisorCorp can also evaluate commercial property tax-effectiveness along with any cash flow impacts. Moreover, should you require construction lending or franchisee loans, they are ready to assist with unlocking your businesses full potential.
For considered, impactful, and intelligent commercial mortgage brokering look to AdvisorCorp.
Jonathon Miller shared this great feedback on Google, “AdvisorCorp helped me throughout the entire loan process and ensured that we were able to receive any exemptions that were available to us.”
Nest Advisory Group works with individuals and businesses to design and implement short and long-term plans to create, grow, and protect their wealth. Amongst their extensive suite of financial services, Nest Advisory Group also offers mortgage broking.
With a panel of over forty lenders, Nest Advisory Group’s mortgage broking offering is on par with some of the best in the country. Moreover, their independent status allows the team to navigate mortgage options freely, extracting the best outcome for commercial property clients.
For comprehensive financial planning and mortgage broking under the one roof look to Nest Advisory Group.
Alex shared this great review on Nest Advisory via Google, “Fantastic service, friendly and professional mortgage broker. Always responds to any queries very quickly. Would recommend to all family and friends.”
True North Mortgage Solutions offer tailored brokerage solutions helping clients find the best value loans for their needs. Principal broker David Gawthrop has worked in the finance industry for almost three decades, with sixteen years spent as a broker.
Working in tandem with local commercial bankers, True North Mortgage Solutions also deliver commercial loans. Whether you are buying a commercial property, acquiring business assets, or starting a new business from scratch David will work to source the most competitive finance option.
Annelouise Pham has this to say, “David was very approachable and down to earth. His advice was always timely and easy to comprehend. David made the entire process simple and I highly recommend his service to anyone looking for a great mortgage broker.”
Founded in 2006, and now with offices Australia wide, IQ Capital Group provides financial service expertise across financial planning, financing, tax, and property.
IQ Capital Group’s award-winning team of financial experts provide clients with clever financial strategies that meet the individual needs.
Whether you are looking to make a new commercial property purchase or refinance, their team will source a smart loan solution that meets your needs. Fully accredited with a suite of panel lenders they have access to some of the best commercial loan offers in the market.
Lisette Austen shared this review via Google, “In the last year we have been dealing with IQ Capital Group and we have found them to be very helpful every step of the way, in helping us invest for our future. Everyone we have dealt with from our first initial consult have been professional and very helpful. We highly recommend IQ Capital.”
If you’re looking for more on financial services, check out our articles on the best mortgage brokers, the best financial planners, the best chartered accountants, the best business advisor, and the best tax accountants that Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with commercial mortgage brokers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the commercial mortgage brokers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.