In the razzle-dazzle industry of Silicone Valley tech innovation, one would easily mistake solar battery technology as something new. While new generations have certainly been produced, the notion of storing solar or wind generated power has long been used.
Solar batteries capture unused solar power, reserving it for consumption when sunlight is not readily available. The biggest drawcard for owners is accessing this power reserve at night or during low sunlight days, reducing grid reliance.
Indeed, solar batteries offer immense consumer benefits. Perhaps the biggest drawcard is greater power utilisation. Not only does this mean maximising a systems capability; it ultimately leads to long term energy cost savings.
These savings effectively come about by generating electricity at a lower cost than purchasing on the grid. Attractive as this sounds, the economic benefits however do not end there. As a complete system component, batteries can also help generate revenue by on-selling power to tenants or electricity retailers.
In the era of renewables and clean energy consumption, the demand for solar batteries is greater than ever. In Canberra, many new properties come with fully integrated solar capabilities. Moreover, those who adopted solar panels in years gone by are considering batteries to lift system efficiency. But, with much to consider where does one start? We have compiled a shortlist of our region’s leading solar battery installers to help you along the way.
What makes a great solar battery installer?
Great solar batter installers delivery energy storage solutions that allow clients to reap the benefits for decades. Here are our suggestions on what to look out for when assessing solar battery installers:
- Solar experts. The nature of solar battery installation is vast as it is varied. Some installers may be more familiar with new build installation, while others are skilled at integrating within existing systems. Moreover, some installers will be accredited to work across both design and install, and others installation only. Therefore, consider your individual circumstances and seek an installer accordingly. Look for a minimum 5 years’ experience, great customer reviews, and any personal recommendations. Positive feedback around pre and post installation, service levels, and issue resolution all help to provide assurance.
- Appropriately licensed. When it comes to licensing for solar work within the ACT, both retailers and installers must hold a government issued electrical license. Prerequisites for licensing include specific electrical qualifications and eligibility criteria; with licenses issued under several classes. This is particularly important as only a licensed electrician can provide a certificate of compliance covering the system and electrical work. To check on the validity of your installers license visit Access Canberra’s list of licensed electricians.
- Industry accredited. The local solar industry is heavily accredited by peak industry body, the Clean Energy Council. Funded by members, it issues accreditations for installers, along with accreditation for design-only, install-only, to design and install. Before proceeding with an installer validate their accreditation with the Clean Energy Council. And, for added peace of mind review their list of approved solar retailers for your battery purchase.
- Safety first. Much like any electrical appliance solar batteries are not without their risks. Some safety risks include chemical, fire, and explosion hazards and these risks should always be considered in installation. Provided your battery is installed to code and by an accredited installer these risks should be mitigated. For added peace of mind review contractor insurances prior to proceeding.
- Transparency. Great installers provide fully transparent contracts. Look for installers who deliver itemised quotes, including itemised components by brand and product number, along with labour. Quotes should also include an assessment of the systems performance and overall design. Additionally, timelines for installation, payment terms, any exclusions or extras should be provided in writing. As for warranties, look for coverage on both products and installation, along with the standard performance warranty on panels. Always clarify post installation maintenance along with the resolutions process for any warranty claims.
The best solar battery installers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Established in 2017, Select Electrical and Solar Solutions set out with a vision of providing clean, safe, and renewable energy to Canberrans. More than a team of electricians, they consider themselves innovators in energy solutions, seeking enduring benefits for their clients.
Founder Josh Hollis is a Clean Energy Council accredited grid connected solar system designer-installer and battery installer. Together with his industry accredited team, they provide a host of clean energy solutions for residential and commercial clients in the local region.
Kurt Anderson shared this review on Google, “Josh and the team did a fantastic job installing solar on our house. Josh is very easy to deal with and knows his stuff! I could not recommend select electrical enough. Great job guys.”
Locally owned and operated, Stored Solar specialise in the design and installation of solar battery storage, solar systems, and smart energy management in both domestic and commercial settings.
As accredited system designers and battery installers, they pride themselves on the delivery of exceptional service outcomes for clients. For anyone looking to reduce their carbon footprint this authorised Clean Energy Retailer is a great choice.
Henry shared this glowing review on Google, “Very responsive, reasonable prices and the jobs were done well.”
This locally based gem has established a reputation of excellence for their solar system design and installation services. From battery installation through to entire system set up they are an ACT Government Approved Nextgen retailer dedicated to delivering quality solutions for the local community.
With a team of experienced, Clean Energy Council accredited designers and installers, they work with clients to assess needs and provide competitive solutions. With more than 2,500 successful installations they are well positioned for solar battery installation needs.
Imran Khalil had this to say about the team on Google, “We have used Solar4Life for solar panels and battery. We definitely recommend Solar4Life for amazing price and service. Special thanks for Suki and his team for exceeding the expectations.”
SolarHub is a Clean Energy Council approved retailer with over 10 years’ experience in the design and installation of solar and battery systems. Their philosophy centres on quality, through both products and services, to ensure investments in renewables are worth their while.
Specialising in all manner of clean energy solutions they come certified and accredited with a host of industry bodies. From the initial consultation process all the way through to post-sale service SolarHub make for an excellent choice.
Duncan McConchie shared his experience on Google, “The SolarHub team were amazing to work with. Super-fast responses to quotes and my questions about my setup, really detailed and thorough information. Their installation was completed super quickly, and their installers were great. Cannot recommend them enough!”
With over a decade in business, Leaf Electrical provide solar design and installation services for systems and batteries in Canberra. Their team of qualified, industry certified electricians strive to develop tailored solar solutions that address client needs and budgets.
Servicing both residential and commercial markets, they are well positioned to help clients navigate the complex world of solar energy, from distributors and retailers all the way through to individual products. For exceptional service and installation for your solar battery consider Leaf Electrical.
Justin Mayfield had this to say on Google, “Very happy with Linden and the Leaf Electrical team for the design and install of our PV Solar system. Linden answered all my questions and was happy to modify and create a bespoke solar solution that suited our house/family…. Customer service and satisfaction was a priority!”
If you’re looking for more ways to improve your energy efficiency take a look at our article on energy saving tips for homes and businesses. For related services perhaps our article on the best solar panel installers or the best double glazing companies may be of interest. To integrate with electricity, check out our article on the best electricity providers in the region.
Your experience with solar battery installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the solar battery installers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of solar batteries are available?
Solar battery development is in a state of acceleration around the globe. Here in Canberra, the most common type found in residential settings is the lithium-ion solar batter. Other common types include lead-acid or advanced lead-acid batteries along with flow batteries. Be sure to consider your own solar system step up and research this aspect well.
Can I add a battery to an existing solar system?
In many cases, yes. Key factors to take into consideration include your currently solar set up, system size, and type of system inverter. Authorised solar designers, retailers, and installers are good reference points to assist in determining the right battery integration solution.
What is the expected lifespan of a solar battery?
Although the latest generation of solar battery products is relatively new, current indications suggest that most should last about 10 years under normal usage conditions. Many batteries will also last longer than their warranty period, however their ability to retain energy will gradually reduce over time.
What does solar battery installation cost?
Estimates for solar battery installation typically range from $2,000 to upwards of $3,500. Do remember that installation costs vary between vendors and can be impacted by the type of battery selected, switchboard capability, positioning of the battery, and existing building material. This estimate covers battery installation only; batteries, panels, and their installation, along with any safety inspections are extra.
Are government rebates or incentives available?
In some instances, a government rebate or incentive may be applicable so do consult your installer for advice on those currently in operation. At the time of publication (2022) eligible ACT residents may benefit from rebates offered under the Next Gen Energy Storage Program. Things do change however your installer should be able to provide advice on each of these and point you in the direction of more detailed information online.