From its early origins in Korea some 7000 years ago, evidence of central heating systems can be found littered all over the world. With raised floors, heat-channelling pipes and all manner of furnaces, these ducted systems were feats of engineering. The Greeks, the Romans and later the British have gradually evolved and improved each iteration over the course of time.
Indeed, many civilisations, both ancient and new, have sought the means to create comfort through improved standards of living. And why shouldn’t they! With sub-zero temperatures, living in cooler climates poses a real challenge to a basic human need – warmth.
Here in Canberra this need is no different. Our inland location and proximity to snowy regions position our capital as one of the coldest cities in Australia. And while our winter days are relatively mild in global terms, our evenings sure do pack a chilly punch.
To solve this dilemma, myriad heating solutions are available on the market. While space heating does the trick for our northern neighbours, most Canberrans will agree that central heating is an absolute must.
When it comes to central heating, ducted gas is one of the more popular choices for the region. As the name implies, these systems offer a heating solution that uses natural gas to warm the air. Whether you are building a new residence, looking to replace, or retrofit into an existing home, there are many things to consider.
As the adage suggests, fail to prepare and prepare to fail! When it comes to designing a ducted gas heating system, this most certainly holds true. Home size, number of zones, height of ceilings, open spaces and windows all impact a system’s ability to heat. That is why professional system design is so important. Moreover, installing a ducted gas heating system is a task that requires the skilled finesse of licensed trades.
So where does one find these heating heavy lifters? Well, we have rounded up the best ducted gas heating services that Canberra has to offer, so do read on below.
What makes a great ducted gas heating installer?
The best ducted gas heating services are wizards of winter, warming our homes and our hearts. These highly skilled, professionally licensed trades work with all the leading manufacturers and know their products inside out. To assess your next supplier, we suggest you keep an eye out for the following:
- Qualified, licensed, insured. Installing ducted gas can require trades with specialised skillsets and credentials, namely gasfitters and plumbers. When assessing each service, their credentials should be at the top of your list. At a minimum, your gasfitter should be equipped with a Certificate IV in gas supply industry operations. Moreover, your plumber should hold at least a Certificate III in plumbing. Each trade should also hold an industry white card, and relevant ACT licensing for gasfitting and/or plumbing. To check for valid licensing, visit Access Canberra. Finally, ensure your trades hold public liability, workers compensation and contracts cover insurance. Be sure to cite a copy of the insurance certificate, and remember to call the insurance provider to confirm validity.
- Industry accreditation. Another useful way to assess your shortlisted ducted gas heating service is to check on their industry accreditation. For gasfitters, the Australian Gas Association is the peak industry body. It accredits under a scheme that denotes AGA-listed gasfitters, who uphold safe practices and quality standards to a tee. As for plumbers in Canberra, the Master Plumbers Association ACT is the core industry body. Membership indicates that your contractor is one of the best in the region. Importantly, it supports adherence to ethical guidelines and industry standards.
- Experienced. While natural gas is classified as a non-hazardous substance, it poses risks to people and property. These can include health risks such as carbon monoxide poisoning, and safety risks like explosion. Proper installation and maintenance are key to mitigating these risks. That is why seeking anyone without the proper experience is ill-advised. Consider how long a service has been in business, the nature of projects it typically carries, and the experience levels of all staff. This experience goes a long way to ensuring a quality installation and is particularly useful for any troubleshooting.
- Professional and transparent. The best ducted gas heating installers are top-notch professionals delivering quality each and every time. They are wonderful communicators and are clear about their services and charges. Therefore, look for tradespeople who are transparent with their quotes and timelines. Ensure the quote includes the full scope of work, materials, timeframes and guarantees. Retrofitting projects may carry unforeseen expenses, so look for a service that is willing to guide you through the possibilities. To assess for quality, look for glowing customer reviews and personal recommendations. Finally, once the project is done, ensure your gasfitter provides you with a compliance certificate confirming that the work adheres to industry specifications and standards.
- Dependable service. As with all specialised services, you should expect nothing less than one that is reliable and dependable. They should arrive as indicated, work in a tidy fashion, and complete the project as scheduled. Regardless of whether your ducted gas needs are planned or a result of an emergency, seek a service known for punctuality and prompt execution.
The best ducted gas heating installers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintained a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With over half a decade of community service, Blueline Plumbing & Gas have forged a reputation that is hard to beat. Specialising in residential gas fitting and plumbing, they offer installation, maintenance, repairs, and replacement services for gas heating systems region wide.
As finalists in the Local Business and the Australian Small Business Champion Awards, this award-winning team have built a business anchored in the commitment to phenomenal service. From their approachable team through to the quality of their work their glowing client reviews are testament to this.
A core ethos held by the Blueline Plumbing & Gas team is the importance of transparency. This means skipping short cuts and providing clients with clarity and solutions. Only the best products, parts, and tools are used, ensuring a level of quality that can be depended on. For added convenience Blueline Plumbing & Gas provide a two-hour service window and 30-minute notification period for clients.
Importantly, Blueline Plumbing & Gas is fully licenced and accredited. Services are conducted with safety and regulation first, delivering results first time around. For your gas heating needs look no further than Blueline Plumbing & Gas.
Keith Binnington shared this great feedback on Google, “We have used Anthony's services for two jobs: installing a gas top cooker and a continuous flow gas hot water system, and found him to provide prompt, efficient and friendly service.”
For over twenty years, AirConditioning Canberra have been supplying, installing, and repairing ducted heating systems across the Canberra region. Specialising in ducted gas, split system, and reverse cycle heating, their team of licensed, qualified, and experienced technicians are at hand to assist with any need.
When it comes to ducted gas heating systems AirConditioning Canberra recommends an annual maintenance schedule to ensure the efficient and safe system operation. Moreover, they are available to attend to any system shortcomings and repair as needed.
MaryAnne Cronin shared her experience on Google, “Very efficient company. Excellent and respectful team. We knew where we stood from day one. Started job and finished on time. Cleaned up and took away rubbish and old system…. Would highly recommend to anyone wanting their services.”
With over three decades experience in Canberra’s heating and cooling industry, this family operated business built a stellar reputation as one of the regions most respected companies in the region. Offering a range of heating and cooling services, Proactive Air also caters the full spectrum of ducted gas heating needs.
From designing a system to suit client needs, to product sourcing, and meticulous installation this team manages it all. Should your ducted gas system require a little care, their annual maintenance and repairs service are there to assist.
Hans Roser shared this great feedback on Google, “I have used Proactive for over 20 years to install, service, and repair our heating and cooling. Their service is absolutely first class. They have always responded quickly and efficiently and are personally very considerate and responsive.”
With over twenty years in business, locally owned Landmark Air have been servicing Canberra and surrounds with all their heating and cooling needs. Offering both installation, maintenance and repair services for air conditioning, evaporative cooling, they also cater to ducted and space gas heating.
To stay on top of wear and tear Landmark Air offers a comprehensive repairs and maintenance service to maximise system efficiency. Their team of licensed and highly skilled trades pride themselves on the quality of their output and dependability. For a ducted gas heating system in tip top shape look to Landmark Air.
Carrie Bren shared this great review on Google, “Excellent service, friendly and professional.”
To help refine your search, you may be interested in our articles on the best gasfitters, the best plumbers, and the best electricians in Canberra. For more heating and cooling options, check out our articles on the best air-conditioning services and the best solar panel installers in the region. To link your ducted gas to your smart-home set-up, visit our article on the best home automation system installers in Canberra.
Your experience with ducted gas heating installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the ducted gas heating services listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is ducted gas heating?
Ducted gas heating is a central heating system that burns natural gas to warm the air. The system comprises a central heating element that distributes heat through a network of ducts into vents on floors, ceilings or walls. Ducted gas systems come with the option of heating an entire home, or specific zones within as needed. The systems are usually controlled by a programmable panel containing a thermostat, which allows for temperature, time and zone settings.
How much does ducted gas heating installation cost?
There are a few factors that will determine the end installation cost of a new ducted gas heating system. Things such as the system's size, number of zones and points, the brand selected, and ease of installation all impact the final amount. As a ball-park indicator, expect to pay a minimum of $8000 for a six-point installation to more than $15,000 for larger spaces and more zones. Note that gas installation is a prerequisite to running a gas heating system. Should you need installation, additional costs will apply. Your ducted gas heating specialist will be able to provide advice on what is best suited to meet your needs and home size.
Can I retrofit a ducted gas heating system?
Yes, in most instances this is completely doable. Do bear in mind that the existing layout and finishes of your walls, floors and ceilings may impact where points and zones can be installed. Concrete floors or brick walls may require workaround solutions via the ceiling, for example. A qualified and experienced ducted gas heating installer will be able to provide options and costs for any retrofitting scenario.
How often should I service my ducted gas heating system?
A good rule of thumb is to have your ducted gas heating system professionally serviced at least every two years. In addition to this, you should conduct general cleaning inspection of components each year, including filters and vents.
How long does a ducted gas heating system last?
Generally, a well-maintained ducted gas heating system can last between 10 and 20 years, with an average lifespan of about 15 years. Do keep in mind that many factors determine the system's lifespan, and that over time some elements or components may need to be repaired or replaced.