The world’s first plumbing systems emerged around 800 years BC. Created by the Romans, aqueducts and pipes supplied water across the land to homes, wells, fountains, and bathhouses. Whilst revolutionary for its time, core principals remain in what we know as modern plumbing of today.
With water being such a vital part of our very existence, it comes as no surprise that plumbing has become a complex specialisation. Anyone who has ever experienced blocked toilet will attest to the importance of functional water and waste systems.
A typical Canberra home’s plumbing consists of an intricate system of pipes and fixtures providing clean water, the safe disposal of wastes, and much more. As plumbing systems involve personal safety, their design, implementation, and maintenance are all subject to regulation.
Whether you have a gurgling sink, blocked toilet, or poor pressure, you will need a qualified and licensed professional. And this is where your trusty plumber comes into play! Plumbers are skilled and specialised trades, experienced in all facets of domestic water and waste systems.
But don’t just hire any plumber – hire a great plumber. A plumber who will work to the highest of standards, doing so safely, effectively, and relatively affordably. And the best plumbers do it properly in the first place; avoiding expensive disasters further down the track.
We have taken the liberty of rounding up the finest plumbers in the Canberra region, along with some helpful tips to get you on your way. Read on below.
What makes a great plumber?
Great plumbers are adept and well-rounded trades, navigating water and waste systems with ease. They are masters in diagnostics, knowing where, what, and how, to resolve issues as efficiently and effectively as possible. Here is what we think separates the best plumbers from the rest:
- Qualified, licensed & insured. When vetting your plumber this triple barrel of credentials should be at the top of your list. Firstly, the best plumbers have completed formal training and have years of experience. At a minimum, your plumber should be equipped with a certificate III in Plumbing and an industry white card. Additionally, your plumber must hold a state government issued plumbing license. Should your plumber offer ancillary services like drainage or gas, additional qualifications and licensing will also be required. Finally, ensure your plumber is covered by appropriate insurances such public liability, workers compensation or contracts cover.
- Industry accreditation. A great way to assess your shortlisted plumber is to check on their industry accreditation. In Canberra, the Master Plumbers Association ACT is the core industry body. This membership indicates that your contractor is one of the best in the business. An important aspect of this is the adherence to ethical guidelines and industry standards.
- Quality workmanship. Even the best products will fall short without careful hands and quality workmanship. Great plumbers believe in using only the best products and parts from reputable suppliers. They also consider their work a craft, taking meticulous care without shortcuts. We have all been there; paid for services rendered only to discover that the initial problem was still lurking. As such, look for plumbers who offer guarantees on both products, and their work.
- Professional & transparent. The best plumbers are consummate professionals, wonderful communicators, and are upfront about services and charges. With wet infrastructure being vital to the safe occupation of any building, seek a plumber that you know will get the job done. So, look for glowing customer reviews and personal recommendations as these are often great indicators. Additionally, look for plumbers who are transparent with their quotes and timelines. Ensure your quote includes the full scope of work, material specifications, along with timeframes and any guarantees.
- Swift service. Plumbing problems are notorious for emerging out of hours. Around the clock access and extended hours of operation help to swiftly address plumbing issues. Regardless of whether your plumbing needs are planned or a result of an emergency, seek a plumber with a fantastic record in punctuality, and prompt execution.
Important essentials to check before engaging a plumber
To ensure quality and professionalism a couple of minutes spent checking the following will help to give you peace of mind; and ensure you avoid a dodgy plumber.
- Confirm the provider runs a registered business through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Ensure the provider holds an appropriate plumbing license by checking the Access Canberra list of licensed plumbers.
- Check that the contractor holds a membership with a core industry body such as Master Plumbers ACT.
- Verify the providers public liability insurance and level of cover.
- Be clear on contracted inclusions, terms, and conditions.
The best plumbers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Founded in 2010 by Tom Martin, Water Tight Canberra provides plumbing, drainage and gas fitting services around the Canberra region. All work is guaranteed, and plumbers are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No job is too big or small and the Water Tight Canberra team has the skills, equipment and ability to get the job down asap so clients can get on with their lives.
As a national 2019 Telstra Business Award winner, Water Tight Canberra has a reputation for quality plumbing services – including repairing and replacing hot water systems – in the ACT and region.
Customers say they appreciate Water Tight Canberra’s punctuality, commitment to customer service and honest advice.
In addition to guaranteeing the quality of technicians’ work, Water Tight Canberra offers a cleanliness guarantee, and an on-time guarantee. If a team member doesn’t leave their work area in the same or better condition as when they found it, Water Tight Canberra will pay for a professional cleaning service. And if a plumber is more than 10 minutes late to a job, Water Tight Canberra will waive the service call fee.
As Maria Hart wrote on Google, “Company states they want to provide a ‘WOW’ experience for their customers and boy did they deliver! From the online booking system down to payment, this has been the best tradie experience I’ve ever had. Full transparency around price and services, excellent communication … They even wore boot covers! Very reasonably priced and professional. Thanks again team!”
ACT licensed plumber: 2017441. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
O’Neill & Brown Plumbing Service (ONBPS) specialises in all types of plumbing services, including fixing hot water systems, unblocking drains or sewers, and or installing new plumbing as part of renovations.
Founded in Queanbeyan more than 50 years ago, ONBPS plumbers offer a comprehensive range of general and preventative plumbing services, always aiming to minimise running costs and extend the life of waterworks for long-lasting, safe, functional plumbing. The team is qualified to deal with potentially dangerous gas leaks, and service gas connections and appliances.
ONBPS works to high standards to meet customer standards. All plumbers are employed direct by the company – ONBPS doesn’t hire contractors. ONBPS plumbers are strong on quality workmanship and use high-quality, genuine parts and products that last. All jobs are photographed to ensure work meets stringent quality requirements.
ONBPS conducts extensive employee training so plumbers are up-to-date on the latest techniques and trained to treat customer homes as their own.
Most of ONBPS’ business comes from referrals. Customers appreciate regular communication, how work is explained before it begins, and that plumbers keep work sites neat and tidy.
Carmel Jekabsons wrote on Google,“Prompt service. On time. Daniel was polite and respectful. Straight down to work and explained each step to me. It was an easy, quick fix for a blocked bath drain even though another Canberra plumber had led me to believe it was going to be a complex job. Could not have been happier with the service and would absolutely recommend.”
ACT licensed plumber: 2005108. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Jet Blast Plumbing is a family owned and run business with more than 25 years of experience. Tony is quick to respond to plumbing service calls and always strives to arrive on time (if not before).
No job is too big or too small for Jet Blast Plumbing. The friendly, experienced and qualified team helps customers with blocked drains and toilets, gas fitting, leaking taps and toilets, burst pipes, hot water repairs and installation, and all emergency plumbing services. Tony takes pride in providing personal and prompt customer service and quality workmanship on all jobs.
Another advantage is that Jet Blast Plumbing offers customers a $0 call out fee (some conditions apply) and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Tony ensures Jet Blast Plumbing provides free quotes, and quickly, with no hidden surprises.
Equipped with a high-pressure water jetter and CCTV drain camera, Jet Blast Plumbing diagnoses and rectifies plumbing issues in no time. Tony is also qualified and experienced to carry out drain dig up and relocations, conduct commercial plumbing, work in new homes and granny flats, and handle plumbing needs for renovations.
As satisfied customer Vanessa Clark wrote on Google, “I submitted a query via the webpage, got a call within 5 minutes and within 15 minutes Tony was already at my place unblocking the drain. Also gave me some tips and advice on how to keep the drain clear and was a pleasure to deal with. Will definitely be calling again next time I need a plumber!”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2018299.
MSJ Plumbing Group is a family owned and operated company with more than 30 years of fixing and fitting plumbing and gas in Canberra and surrounding region. All work and materials are guaranteed and MSJ Plumbing Group provides hassle-free service 24/7. Same day service is guaranteed for residential and commercial emergencies. Transparent, upfront fixed prices are provided to customers—no hidden costs.
All tradesmen working for MSJ Plumbing Group are fully licensed, qualified and certified.
The breadth of plumbing services provided by MSJ Plumbing Group include blocked drains sewer and stormwater, high pressure water jetting, hot water systems—service and replacements, burst pipes and water leaks, water drainage and piping, as well as bathroom and kitchen renovation plumbing (installation and repair).
MSJ Plumbing Group uses the latest equipment to pinpoint the blockage and recommend the best possible solution. Plumbers clear blockages on the spot to get drains working normally again. MSJ Plumbing Group assists with all kinds of drainage issues—blocked bathroom, kitchen, toilet and laundry drains, stormwater drains and blocked sewer drains.
Vanessa Vanderzwart wrote on Google, “Highly recommend! Was super happy with the fast service and affordability compared to other local businesses. Will be using again in the future!”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2013104. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
6 Star Hot Water and Plumbing has credentials in spades. Robert and his team can attend to emergency tap, toilet and water leak issues within the hour. In all other cases, they will come that same day at an agreed time.
Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Andrew Gee wrote on Google, “Had our system fail on a Saturday morning and 6 Star had it replaced by lunch. Thank you for the prompt and professional service. Would recommend.”
If you’re looking for more specialised plumbing services, check out our other articles on the best emergency plumbers, the best blocked drain plumbers, the best commercial plumbers, the best toilet repair specialists, the best hot water systems repairers and the best gas fitters in Canberra.
Your experience with plumbers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on plumbers in Canberra. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the plumbers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.