The nation’s capital is renowned for its glorious trails, scenic routes, and manageable terrain. And, for most Canberran’s, riding a bike is an intrinsic part of our heritage. Indeed many of us have vivid recollections of trailing the family around Lake Burley Griffin.
There is no denying that Canberra is a community of avid cyclists. From toddlers on three wheelers to grandparents on roadsters we sure love hitting the pavement. And, as much as we adore traditional two-wheelers, we are turning to their electric counterparts in droves.
Electric bikes, or e-bikes, are one of the fasted growing segments in their category. While they are considered a niche market, the number of imported e-bikes have gone through the roof. But why? The surge in e-bike popularity stems from the huge benefits it offers to cyclists and our city.
The sheer ease of riding has won the hearts of both enthusiast and novice cyclists alike. In fact, electric bikes are a user-friendly and practical mode of transportation. Importantly, they are kind to traffic congestion as well as the environment.
Electric bikes offer something for everyone. If you have limited fitness or simply desire an optimised ride, an e-bike could be just what you need. But, with hundreds of options available, where does one even start?
There is much to consider. From propulsion type to batteries, weight, brakes, and tyres – there is enough jargon to fill a glossary. Thankfully, we’ve rounded up the best electric bike shops and servicing the Canberra region, so do read on below.
What makes a great electric bike shop?
- Expert knowledge. While they appear similar, there are a few key differences between traditional bikes and their electric cousins. That is why specialised product expertise is so vital when embarking on your purchase journey. While investigating options for a new bike or an electric conversion kit, place your trust in the hands of experts. Look for knowledgeable staff who are e-bike enthusiasts themselves. Assess their understanding of common issues, troubleshooting techniques, along with insider hints and tips. This knowledge will help you make the right decision; and might even educate you along the way.
- Comprehensive range. Although e-bikes are relatively new, the range is just as extensive as that of their traditional pedal-powered counterparts. Indeed, there is a make and model for every need. You will find zippy urban bikes; powerful mountain bikes; endurance focussed roadsters; to load-bearing cargo bikes and more. To have the best chance of finding the right bike for you, seek out retailers known for their comprehensive range.
- All the bells and whistles. While it is tempting to grab your e-bike go, a few essentials are needed before you hit the track. There is the mandatory helmet of course; though spare a thought for items that will keep both you – and your bike safe. Things like locks, lights, water holders, gloves, and storage will all come in handy. Moreover, tyre repair kits or a small multi tools will be your saving grace in the event of emergency. Consider your intended use and seek professional advice for the best accessory items to meet your need.
- Warranties. As with most new product purchases, your electric bike will come with a manufacturer warranty. These warranties generally cover component failure while providing valued peace of mind. Be sure to review warranty terms with your retailer prior to purchasing. Take note of what is considered general wear and tear, along with recommendations on maintenance.
- Servicing & parts. While many retailers will happily sell you an e-bike dream, few offer the after-sales service that is really needed. Due to the complexity of their fused system, e-bikes require specialised hands to maintain their wares. Many e-bikes require parts from select vendors. This includes things like chains and tyres, along with individual battery cells, controller electronics, and the motor itself. Given the size of their investment, be cautious accepting anything less than supplier authorised products and parts. So, while shortlisting your retailers consider those who offer local servicing and of course quality spare parts.
The best electric bike shops in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
If you are in the market for an electric bike, then you will love the range and expert advice on offer at Ion DNA. After first opening their doors in 2018, locally owned Ion DNA, was founded by former rally driver Rob Ogilvie.
Fast forward five years and this now includes all modes of electric mobility including bikes, skateboards, and scooters. As Australia’s first dedicated all-electric vehicle showroom, they are bursting with the latest e-innovations.
Conveniently located in Fyshwick, this showroom is an electric enthusiast’s dream. When it comes e-bikes, this team are undoubted experts. Their range currently includes the Mobivolt, and the premium European Desikino.
Ion DNA strives to provide consumers with real choice through their comprehensive range of affordable zero emission eco-friendly bikes. They also pride themselves on their no-pressure sales approach.
Ion DNA are committed to deliver outstanding service and exceptional product knowledge across the phone, web, and in person. They are steadfast in their approach to ensuring all customers experience the game-changing benefits that electric bikes bring.
To see how electric biking can change your cycling experience be sure to visit Ion DNA.
Kathryn Quest shared this review on Google, “….I highly recommend contacting Ion DNA to talk through your needs. Excellent Canberra business that truly believes in listening to and taking care of their customers.”
Conveniently located in Fyshwick, 99 Bikes boasts one of Australia’s largest ranges of bikes and accessories. Their electric bike range is equally as impressive, with models to suit every style of cyclist and riding need.
In addition to their retail store, 99 Bikes Fyshwick also offers an on-site bicycle mechanic for your repair and servicing needs. Their team of avid cycling enthusiasts have the skills and know-how to help you get moving quickly, so be sure to drop in for a visit.
Scott Cummings shared this great review on Google, “Always great service at 99 bikes.”
Touted as Canberra’s destination for all things cycling, Ride Shop have been welcoming customers for over twenty years. From first time riders to every day commuters, mountain bikers to triathletes, they have a wonderfully diverse range of fantastic bikes.
When it comes to electric bikes, they stock all the leading models from the big international brands. And, should you ever need repairs or maintenance, their fully equipped workshop is ready to offer a helping hand. For a team with a wealth of knowledge covering all facets of cycling look to Ride Shop.
Rom Cat shared this review on Google, “Really great variety of bikes, decent prices & where the service is friendly & super helpful.”
Canberra Electric Bikes have built an enviable reputation for their specialisation in all things e-bikes. Their collaboration with Sydney Electric Bikes has given rise to one of the largest ranges of bikes and conversion kits in the region.
Not only do Canberra Electric Bikes have a wide range of products; they also have the experience to back up the solutions they sell. Home to an expert team of electric bike enthusiasts, their store in Franklin is home to trove of spare parts and fully equipped repairs workshop.
Jordan Harris had this to say on Google, “The best bike shop in Canberra! Staff was incredibly helpful in finding me the right fit and they really know their game. The huge variety of bikes makes sure that there is a suitable bike for anyone. My no.1 bike shop to go for sure….”
Walksmart have earned an enviable reputation as one of the leading suppliers of e-mobility products across Canberra and Sydney. Stocking quality electric bikes, scooters, and skateboards, they boast a 360 offering with retail and servicing conveniently located under the one roof.
Their skilled team assist with both sales and after care, with an in-house workshop for minor repairs and a complete service centre for parts and maintenance. For locally warehoused stock, competitive pricing, and electric expertise look to Walksmart.
Thomas Wills shared this review on Google, “Great customer experience, with helpful tips about what was best for me personally….10/10 would recommend to anyone looking for an electric form of transport!”
If you’re in the market for more alternative transport options, check out our articles on the best electric scooter shops and servicing, the best electric skateboards, the best places to buy an electric car and the best bike shops and servicing in Canberra.
Your experience with electric bike shops in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the electric bike shops listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.