A well-kept backyard can mean the difference between a space you enjoy using and a total eyesore on your property. Left unchecked, not only could your garden become overgrown with weeds and other invasive species, but you also miss out on a great opportunity to use your space for good, whether that’s for entertaining, giving your pets space to roam, or even starting on your own garden bed.
Many Canberra residents invest in gardening services to make the best use of their garden space, whether that be something as straightforward as mowing or as complex as landscaping services. In Canberra especially, with harsh weather conditions during summer and winter and unpredictable days in between, hiring a professional gardener not only takes the burden of time and work off of your back, but also ensures that your garden is getting the best care it can all year round.
But what should you look for in a gardening service before you hire them? In this article, we will discuss some of the key qualities of any great gardener, and give you a guide to some of Canberra’s best services.
What makes a great gardening service?
Hiring a gardener can be pricey – but when the job is done to professional standards, it’s worth every penny.
When looking for a top-quality gardener in the Canberra region, we suggest keeping an eye out for the following positive traits.
- Experience. The more practice a gardener has, the better their services. The best gardeners have seen it all before, and have the skills and equipment to overcome any challenge.
- Knowledge. If you need a gardener that can help resurrect your outdoor space with new plants and landscaping services, opt for someone with extensive knowledge. That way, they can help you purchase the right plants for your climate and location, ensuring your garden thrives for years to come.
- Reliable. As with any service, you want a reliable company that shows up on time, every time. And no dodgy last-minute cancellations!
- Friendly and professional. The gardener you decide on will come to your house. It is essential they treat you and your home in a professional and respectful manner, while maintaining a positive, friendly attitude.
- Fairly priced. Gardening and other outdoor services are seriously hard work, but that doesn’t mean you should spend a small fortune. The best gardeners charge a fair price for the services they provide.
- Comprehensive services offered. It’s a wise idea to hire a gardener that offers comprehensive services – that means, more than mowing and weeding. You never know when you might need something more advanced.
The best gardening services in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Jake’s Complete Garden Care is a family business that creates and maintains wonderful looking gardens. Locally owned and operated, Jake’s Complete Garden Care works with all styles of gardens. This includes simple, low-maintenance gardens. It also includes substantial gardens requiring more tender, loving care.
A professional hedger and shaper with many years of experience, Jake and his team are expert at pruning all types of plants, fruit trees and other trees. One specialty is pruning roses, to keep them healthy and producing stunning flowers.
Jake’s Complete Garden Care offers a long list of services. This includes landscaping, lawn care, weeding and weed spraying, mulching, lawn mowing and edging. In addition, the team manages grub control. They also install irrigation systems to keep gardens looking their best.
Jake’s Complete Garden Care also cares for veggie gardens, so they produce in abundance.
Harves777 wrote on Google, “Jake is hard-working and knows what he’s doing. His team works well all day too.”
Prepping your home for sale or rent? Brian’s Home and Garden Care specialises in getting properties’ outdoor spaces in tip-top condition ready for the property market.
In addition, Brian offers all general garden maintenance.
One commenter, Jazz, had this to say. “Brian Welsh from Brian’s Home and garden has just cleaned up my place. Faced with completely overgrown back yard I decided on the prudent option to outsource and go to work instead. Was blown away by the result in just a day and a half. A genuinely nice guy too.”
If your garden needs a complete redesign, Escape Gardens could be the choice for you. After working in garden centres in the Canberra region, owner Chris realised there was a serious need for expert horticultural and design services.
Escape Gardens can help you discover the most suitable plants and plant placement for your garden, ensuring your outdoor space looks fantastic, and is easy-to-maintain.
Commenter YoungAndVocal has heard good things about Escape Gardens. “Coming onto the bandwagon a little late, but I heard about escape gardens a little while ago,” they wrote. “From what I have heard they can offer advice and source suitable plants.”
Is your backyard in need of some special attention? If you’re after some more recommendations of the best services in Canberra to take care of your needs, check out our articles, the best landscapers and the best turf and artificial grass suppliers in Canberra for some helpful information.
Your experience with gardening services in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the gardening services listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.