As boundaries between inside and outside living continue to blur, many Canberrans are seeking ways to improve the use of their outdoor space.
Benefits of well-conceived green spaces are documented the world over. They provide engaging social settings; improve air quality and decrease noise; offer privacy and a welcomed natural surround for relaxation.
With landscaped gardens increasing property value and curb appeal; it is no surprise that residents from Forrest to Fadden are finessing their green thumbs. There are however some drawbacks with the do-it-yourself approach.
Landscaping is serious business; seemingly minor tweaks can require licensed construction under the watchful eye of trades. Canberra also has a distinct climate with vast seasonal variances which makes plant selection challenging.
This is where experienced landscapers can help. Great landscapers take your brief and cues from your surrounds to conceptualise, design, and construct your space. They are also expert horticulturalists, with an innate knowledge of plant species, ensuring that you reap the seeds of what you sow.
With the market awash with gardeners come landscapers; finding an experienced and qualified professional with all the right credentials can be challenging. To help you navigate we’ve provided some points to keep in mind along with our recommendations for the best landscapers in the Canberra region.
What makes a great landscaper?
The best in class Canberra landscapers create breathtaking surrounds with strong structural form that speaks to soul of its inhabitants. Great landscaping not only expands liveable space, it also adds significant value to any property.
Here are some things to keep in mind when selecting a landscaper:
- Green Philosophy. In many ways landscape design is an art form, with artists a plenty and equally as many styles. Understand your own style, and seek a landscaper who specialises in this area. Is your landscaper a classicist embracing formal tradition; are they innovators creating sculptural delights; or do they prefer natural organic flows? A shared philosophy and clear expectations will ensure your vision is aptly translated into a living reality.
- Qualified, Licensed, and Insured. The best landscapers have completed formal training in horticulture and all aspects of landscaping including construction and design. Whilst a landscaping licence is not currently required in Canberra, a licensed tradesperson will be required for any projects which need planning or permits; structures like patios, porches, and decks; electrical; and pools. Importantly, ensure your landscaper is professionally insured.
- Impeccable Project Management. A fully landscaped space is a feat in production, dealing with live assets and subject to Canberra’s extreme climate. A great landscaper will have superior project management skills, including clear timelines, agile delivery, and will be prepared for contingencies. Request references from past clients for peace of mind that your project will be delivered on time, and on budget.
- Quality Installations. Years of experience set the best landscapers aside from the rest. Look for evidence of quality installations that have been delivered to the highest standards. Also ensure your landscaper is well versed with the variances in Canberra’s climate, and is prepared to guarantee their products and their work. Enquire about the locations of their past projects and be sure to pay them a visit.
- Contracts & Maintenance. Good landscapers provide clear contracts details all terms. Ensure you agree upon inclusions, responsibilities, prices, payment terms, and guarantees. Caring for a newly planted landscape in Canberra’s early summer can make even the most confident gardeners uneasy. Agreeing on a maintenance plan beforehand will ensure your garden will be nurtured once laid. Also check on liability for any plants that do not survive as replacement can be a costly exercise.
Important essentials to check before engaging a landscaper
To ensure a quality installation that will stand the test of time a couple of minutes spent checking the following will help to give you peace of mind; and ensure you avoid a mediocre landscaper:
- Confirm that the landscaper runs a registered business through the Australian Business Registration website.
- If you or your landscaper are contracting individual trades for planning or permits; non-habitable structures like patios, porches, and decks; electrical; and any pools or water features; ensure they are appropriately licensed.
- Verify that the landscaper, and any additional trades are professionally insured with public liability insurance.
- Be clear on contracted inclusions, terms, and conditions.
The best landscapers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintain a minimum of 4/5 stars on Google.
Over the last 20 years, Easycare Landscape’s passion for landscape design, construction and maintenance has created exceptional outdoor spaces across Canberra. The business believes that gardens should create calm, which is why Easycare Landscapes can handle everything from start to finish.
The team is up with the latest methods and products of the landscape industry, enabling Easycare Landscapes to take the seed of an idea and nurture it to full bloom.
Easycare Landscapes is equally passionate about growing relationships with clients, taking time to understand needs and provide cost-effective solutions.
Whatever the project, Easycare Landscapes ensures its practices are environmentally safe and sustainable. All landscapes are as green as they are… well, green.
As Judy Cunningham wrote on Google, “From initial design to completion, Easycare was a pleasure to work with. They developed a lovely design and rebuilt the long-neglected garden into a beautiful but low maintenance garden that looks great.”
Botanica Landscapes is an award-winning family business with an experienced team of innovative designers and professional landscapers focused on delivering high-quality residential design and construction projects.
The company offers a complete start-to-finish landscape service, from initial consultation through to design and final construction. This ensures a smooth transition at every step.
Owned by the Rehwinkel family, Botanica Landscapes has a long and respected reputation on the horticultural scene in Canberra and region. Managing Director and landscaper Elliot Rehwinkel and his team use their deep local horticultural knowledge, combined with innovative design skills and expertise in construction, to bring landscaping visions to fruition.
Botanica Landscapes excels at tailoring landscape solutions which combine creativity with quality materials and workmanship.
With more than 40 years of industry experience, Botanica Landscapes continually exceeds client expectations. Services include paving, artificial turf, flagstone, planting and mulching, edging, garden beds, turf, irrigation, ponds and water features, retaining walls, as well as granite paths and driveways.
Satisfied client Alivio Tourist Park wrote on RiotACT, “Alivio Tourist Park Canberra, located in O’Connor has recently engaged Elliot from Botanica Landscapes to design and build a significant native feature garden at the entry of the property. The recently completed work speaks for itself and Elliot was a considerate and talented professional to work with. We are thrilled with the result and have no hesitation in recommending Botanica Landscapes for future projects. Please feel free to visit our park and see Elliot’s work for yourself.”
Hawker-based Foxy’s Landscapes takes care of everything from design and planning to construction, ongoing maintenance and care. It works with private, commercial and government clients, and is experienced in creating both classic and contemporary landscapes.
Here’s what client Edward had to say about Foxy’s Landscapes in a Facebook review: “Foxy’s Landscapes designed and constructed our garden. They are amazing. Everything went smoothly and the attention to detail was great. We couldn’t have been happier.”
TPL – Tom Pagett Landscaping is a small, family-run business that opened in 2017 to service Canberra and surrounds.
This friendly owner-operator business specialises in landscape construction and horticulture. Services include paving and edging, turf and artificial grass installation, stonework and garden maintenance.
Client Karen Fraser shared her experience with Tom Pagett Landscaping on Facebook, “Tom helped us turn our new house dirtscape into a beautiful green garden complete with paving, pond, gravel paths, grass, edging and plants. Tom was meticulous about his work, friendly and responsive to our needs.”
With over thirty years of experience Burgess Landscaping offer end-to-end landscaping and gardening solutions. This approach ensures all landscaping needs can be catered to under one umbrella, including the management of trades.
Their team of qualified and skilled landscapers provide an extensive list of services; from groundwork including ponds and irrigation, all manner of paths, gates, and fencing, through to lawns and garden beds themselves.
Burgess adopt single project delivery with a steadfast focus on delivering quality landscapes.
Tan shared this recommendation on RiotACT, “I would highly recommend Burgess Landscaping. They are local and a family business.”
If your backyard just needs a tidy up, check out our article on the best gardening services in Canberra. Or, if you prefer to do it yourself, check out our article on the best landscaping supplies stores. You may also like our articles on the best bricklayers or the best concreters Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with landscapers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the landscaping companies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.