As one of the noteworthy architectural influences of modern times, open-plan living has been nothing short of transformational. This triple-space fusion saw the rise of the kitchen as the new heart of the home.
Taking pride of place in our central living environment, kitchens today have catapulted into cult design status. More than simply functional workhorses, kitchens say as much about our aesthetic influences as the clothes we wear. From classic to contemporary design, most kitchens have one thing in common – the humble splashback.
An important piece of the aesthetic puzzle, a great splashback can completely transform a space. It makes a huge visual statement, ties in an overall design, and is incredibly practical.
As a more popular choice, glass is well and truly here to stay. Boasting smooth reflective surfaces and uninterrupted lines, glass splashbacks are not only beautiful, they are easy to maintain.
If you are looking for a new glass splashback, you have come to the right place. We have hunted high and low to find the best glass splashback installers in Canberra.
What makes a great glass splashback installer?
Great glass splashback installers seamlessly transform your space with versatile yet functional glass solutions. While seeking an installer for your next project, it may help to keep the following in mind:
- Qualified and experienced. To ensure a premium glass splashback finish, look for a qualified and experienced glazier. As glaziers need not be licensed within the ACT, evaluating their credentials is particularly important. Look for a Certificate III in Glass and Glazing along with a Master Glazier accreditation issued by the Australian Glass and Window Association. Ensure that if your installer is not a licensed builder, he or she is working under the supervision of one and is fully insured. Finally, when it comes to experience, several solid years in business is generally a good sign. Consider their core areas of work and follow through by inspecting examples of their projects and speaking to referees.
- Plenty of options. Like other alternatives, glass splashbacks are limited only by the imagination. Hence, when it comes to selecting your installer, look for one that delivers plenty of options. While most installers will masterfully install standard splashback products, some specialist options may only be handled by a few. Therefore, review options such as glass type, thickness, colours, finishes and tints, and match with an installer adept in this space.
- Made to measure. While some glass splashbacks are available in pre-cut dimensions, many kitchens will require made-to-measure solutions. As there is little room for error, each glass panel must be accurately cut to measure in the manufacturing stage. Failing to do so can result in costly implications down the track. Therefore, when it comes to seeking an installer for your next project, consider one that specialises in made-to-measure solutions. These experienced glaziers can design, supply and install a wide variety of shapes, styles and sizes.
- Seamless service. The best glass splashback installers provide a seamless customer experience throughout the entire process. Be it a convenient in-home appointment to measure and quote through to the end installation, each aspect is flawless. All great glass splashback installers support manufacturing warranties and even guarantee the quality of installation. Finally, be sure to review warranty terms and conditions, including how and where to make a claim should the need arise.
- Impeccable installation. Great glass splashback installers are professional through and through. They arrive when they say they will, complete works in the estimated time frame, and invoice in accordance with the quote. Importantly, the best trades ensure each project is installed safely and securely.
The best glass splashback installers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintained a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With many decades of service, Monaro Screens have an enviable reputation as one of the regional communities most iconic businesses. From humble beginnings, power couple Dave and Deirdre Byatt have nurtured this local gem into one of Canberra’s leading glass splashback providers.
As specialist designers, manufacturers, and installers, Monaro Screens have carved a niche for their made-to-measure glass splashbacks. Their services encompass fittings across kitchens, bathroom, laundries, with a range of solutions to suit every style.
Manufactured from the highest quality low iron toughened glass, Monaro Screen splashbacks are available in a range of attractive colours. Each panel is customised to suit spatial specifications, with wall fittings like light and power switches seamlessly integrated into the design. Importantly, Monaro Screens offer splashback solutions to suit both residential and commercial applications accordingly.
What really sets Monaro Screens apart is their ambition for high quality customer outcomes. From providing a flexible range of products, to prioritising local materials, and adhering to Australian standards, this ethos holds true across all aspects of their operation.
Be it splashbacks, mirrors, shower, security, or retractable screens, Monaro Screens have it covered. A noteworthy mention positions Monaro Screens as one of a handful of authorised and licensed Crimsafe suppliers.
Centrally located in Fyshwick, the hub of Canberra’s industrial heart, is the teams fit for purpose manufacturing and showroom facility. Open Monday to Saturday it is the perfect way to explore their extensive range of glass splashbacks firsthand. For showstopping glass splashback solutions look no further than Monaro Screens.
Tina Andracchio shared this glowing review on Google, “Monaro Screens went the extra mile to provide styling and material advice. Products are excellent. Service great. Will use them again.”
Celebrating over fifty years, Mitchell’s Glass Works remains a family run local business specialising in glass products for homes and businesses. With three local factories and a team of qualified glaziers, they offer a wide array of glass services.
Mitchell’s Glass Works offer a wide range of custom-made glass splashback products designed to suit any style or space. Using grade A 6mm toughened safety glass splashbacks are available in a range of 72 colours with digital printing also available.
Sam S shared this review on Google, “Professional and friendly service. Highly recommend for stress free and perfect service.”
Drawing on over fifteen years of experience, Canberra Glaziers offers a comprehensive range of glass related services for commercial and residential clients alike. This fully licensed family owned, and operated business have supplied and installed many glass splashbacks throughout the region.
Offering toughened super clear 6mm glass available in a range of designs, finishes, and colours, Canberra Glaziers is a great choice for kitchen and bathroom splashback needs.
Christian Moreno shared this feedback on Google, “Great service at an excellent price. Would definitely use again.”
With over a decade in business, Aaron and the team at Advanced Glass offer design, installation, and repair glass services across the Canberra region. As fully qualified and licensed glaziers they offer high quality standard and custom glass splashbacks meeting all current Australian standards.
Using 6mm ultra clear starphire glass, they have completed both commercial and residential installations. Offering colour matching services along with imaging and printing they are an excellent choice.
Paul had this to say on Google, “Got the team to install a replacement splashback. So professional from quote to install. Showed up on time, knew what they were talking about and left the kitchen clean after a smooth install. All this at a good price and good turnaround time. Would definitely use them again.”
With over three decades in business, Discount Glass have earnt a glowing reputation for their glazing services. Their team of qualified glaziers apply years of knowledge and experience to offer the best solution, be it planned or emergency, residential or commercial.
Discount Glass specialise in designing, supplying, and installing stunning glass splashback solutions for various applications. Made to measure to your exact specifications Discount Glass are a great choice.
As Jessie Lou stated on Google, “Absolutely amazing staff and fantastic service. Very personable and go above and beyond to help. By far the best glass service I have ever had dealings with. A+.”
For our take on the region’s finest glaziers, see our article on the best glaziers in Canberra. If you are undertaking some kitchen remodelling, perhaps our article on the best kitchen renovation companies will help. Finally, for related trades, see our articles on the best plasterers, the best tilers, and the best carpenters that the region has to offer.
Your experience with glass splashback installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the glass splashback installers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do glass splashbacks have any practical benefits?
Absolutely! Aside from their aesthetic benefits, glass splashbacks are extremely light reflective, aiding in the illumination of a space. Also, being grout free and constructed from toughened glass, they are known for their practicality, durability and ease of maintenance.
What colours are glass splashbacks available in?
The beauty of a glass splashback is colour versatility. Most installers can match to any colour desired. Interestingly, glass splashbacks can feature graphics or images; tinted reflective mirrors; and even textured finishes. For an insider’s guide on the best finish for your space, speak to your local installer.
How much do glass splashbacks cost?
The overall cost of a glass splashback generally depends on its size, finish, type and thickness, and the number of cutouts required. Pre-cut splashbacks are generally more affordable, with custom-measure options sitting at between $450 and $650-plus per square metre for supply. Do bear in mind that installation costs are on top of this, so contact your installer today to find out more.
Can I use a glass splashback behind a gas cooktop?
Yes, you certainly can. Due to their predisposition to intense heat and steam, glass splashbacks behind a stove or cooktop must be fitted with toughened safety glass at a minimum 6mm thickness, as per Australian standards. Toughened glass is generally heat, moisture and vapour resistant and available in a range of treatments, colours and styles. In some instances, fire-resistant boarding may also be required, so check with your installer for details.
What is the best way to clean my glass splashback?
For a light clean, spray a non-abrasive cleaning product and wipe off with a damp lint-free cloth. Great cleaning product options include environmentally friendly dishwashing liquid, diluted methylated spirits, mass-produced glass cleaner, or even a mixture of white vinegar and water.