Have a few odds and ends you need repaired? Something moved or installed? A quality handyman will get the job done.
What makes a great handyman?
A quality handyman is efficient and can help fast-track repairs and maintenance jobs around your home. They’ll tick everything off your list quick sharp.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a handyman.
- Experience. The best handymen have years of on-the-job experience. They’re experienced in many areas. They’ve seen it all before and know how to tackle tricky repair jobs.
- Respectful. You’ll be inviting your handyman to your property and perhaps into your home. This means you’ll want someone who will treat you, your property, and your belongings with total respect.
- Knowledgeable. You want a handyman who can spot bigger issues and pinpoint fixes to minimise future damage. You’ll want them to tell you when they find something needing more in-depth attention.
- On time and prompt. The best handymen turn up on time, every time. They work efficiently and get the work done on schedule. That means no waiting around so you can get back to your busy life.
- Well priced. No-one wants to get ripped off. When looking for a handyman to help with household jobs, look for someone who charges fairly for their services.
- Qualifications. While not all handymen have formal qualifications or licenses, some do. Even if they don’t, quality handymen have worked across many areas. Ask your handyman if they have experience with what you need done.
The best handymen in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
From extensions and renovations, to general property reprises and maintenance the Fix it Guys offer a huge range of services. Each member of Pete’s team specialises in an area and he’ll always try and send you the right fit for your job. But, if he’s unable to accommodate your request, Pete will find someone who can! Home improvement pages reviewer Greg says: "They were really professional, turned up when they said they would and really good in paying attention to detail".
Ash has a simple mantra to keep him honest and busy and that is doing the small jobs that nobody wants to do! Caring about his community is also top of mind with his enthusiasm in helping out others by working hard but also being generous to those less fortunate.
Facebook reviewer Richard says: "I'd rate Ash 6-stars if I could. Highly recommended!"
Andy not only offers handyman and repairs services but property maintenance and carpentry. With years of experience as both on residential and commercial sites Andy makes sure he gives his customer the best quality work and sticks to a time frame and budget.
Google reviewer, Jarrod says; "This is the second time we have used Handy Andy's services. We had him install a sound bar and floating shelves. As always, he arrived on time and did a great job. Best handyman around!"
Tait is a licenced electrical repairer and recently changed his business name to reflect his focus on appliance repairs. He does however, still have his ginger beard! His natural customer service means he reserves one time slot a day for emergency repairs.
Google reviewer Jo says: ‘Easy to use online booking system and provides reminders of appointments and text alerts about arrival time.’
ACT License Number: 2017429
If you’re looking for more information on household maintenance, repairs or other projects, you might like our articles on the best plumbers, best electricians and the best house painters Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with handymen in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any handymen in Canberra? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do handymen do?
While some handymen specialise in certain areas, most are expert at a wide range of general installation and repair projects. They fix, install, hang and replace things. They can help with maintenance projects. They move things and even tend to jobs that don’t require a license. They’ll work inside and outside, depending on what you need done.
Do handymen have formal qualifications?
Not all handymen have formal qualifications or licenses, but some do. Some are carpenters or licensed trades, for example. The best handymen work across many areas. This means you can get a lot fixed at once. Ask your handyman if they have experience with what you need done.
Can handymen do plumbing or electrical work?
Handymen can’t handle jobs that require a licensed specialist in the ACT. They might be able to handle some plumbing or electrical work, but nothing that requires a license by law.
How much do handymen charge?
Their fees vary depending on what you need done, how much you need done and where you’re located. Your best bet is to ring the handyman, tell them what you want and get them to give you a quote.
What are some examples of work handymen handle?
Different handymen handle different jobs. Many fix fences, repair doors, paint, garden, mount televisions, fix skirting boards, hang items like mirrors, build decks, handle small carpentry jobs, and move furniture.