As far as applications go, few have been as prolific in their brief history as mobile apps. Easy to have and easy to hold, mobile applications have quite simply spawned. Although actual figures are difficult to ascertain, some estimates point to as many as 9 million apps in circulation today.
Yet as integral as they are in daily life, there was a time when mobile apps were a rarity. At the turn of the last century mobile apps were few and far between. Yet, as our connectivity grew and innovations become smarter, so too did the emergence of the humble mobile app.
Today it seems that there is an app for everything! From wearable tech through to smart homes, the opportunities are seemingly endless. Now, if you are contemplating creating a mobile app of your own there is much to consider. Perhaps most critically, how this vision translates to reality. And, for this task a specialist mobile app developer is just what you need. Read on below to find our pick of the best in Canberra.
What makes a great mobile app developer?
Great mobile app developers have a knack for creating solutions we didn’t know we needed. If you are seeking a developer for a mobile app project, the following evaluation criteria may help:
- Visionary. Good mobile app developments teams do more than simply write code. As true visionaries, they extract exact requirements and bring them to life with creative flair. They lean on their expertise to sidestep preventable issues; focusing instead on creating attributes to make each app stick. All great mobile app developers have a formula for creating a successful app. One that not only fulfils a need, but also finds its way into the daily uptake of its intended customer.
- Multiplatform. A critical foundation of any successful mobile app is its ability to work across many mobile platforms. While this may indeed seem obvious, not every team are seasoned cross-platform developers. Seek a team well versed in deployment across iPhone and Android first and explore capabilities thereafter. Moreover, look for parallels to your project in terms of industry, requirements, functionality, and scale, and match accordingly.
- Agile. The best mobile development team are agile by name and agile by nature. While swift manoeuvring certainly is a key component, so too is the practice of agile delivery. Here, experienced developers work to the rhythm of sprints and releases, factoring in time to respond to changes. Doing so allows the best teams charge forward, addressing sprint issues whilst progressing on to the next horizon.
- Communicators. While many mobile app developers are technically brilliant, fewer are as impressive when it comes to communication. And, as the essential backbone of any app project finding a team of excellent communicators is key. The best teams rally around progress updates and clearly share updated on both contents and the process. Be sure to ask how they address project visibility and the cycle of input and feedback.
- Transparent. All app projects require an investment in time, finances, and resources. Great teams understand that this investment is not infinite; and in doing so practice transparent pricing. Clear on all front, they outline total project costs before commencement and charge what they say they will. Some firms will also offer choice by way of pricing structure, be it fixed or scalable based on time. Either way, be clear on inclusions and exclusions, and the instances where anticipated costs may change.
The best mobile app developers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Software development specialists, Envoy Advanced Technologies, have a solid reputation for producing quality project deliverables. Bringing over fifteen successful years in business to the table, they take pride in their fastidious focus on quality, transparency, and collaborative client approach.
Servicing an array of industries Envoy have supported numerous businesses with their custom development needs. From ecommerce through to financial services, travel, agribusiness, education, and insurance, they have amassed an impressive portfolio of some of Australia’s most loved and respected brands.
Predominantly operating within the online space, Envoy’s services straddle both web-based business applications and commercial systems. From mobile applications and web development through to enterprise software their remit is extensive. Within the mobile app space, Envoy can assist with responsive design, native applications, offline synchronised apps, cross platform apps, prototypes, user experience and much more.
With a team of highly experienced full-time developers, Envoy have carved a niche in solving business problems with smart technology. With an average tenure of eight years, members of this market leading team are willing to tackle almost any problem.
What really sets Envoy apart is their spirit of partnership. From discussing requirements through to in-depth workshops, they aim to gain a complete understanding of client’s circumstance and need.
For added peace of mind, Envoy offer a quality guarantee. Underpinned by a commitment to 100% defect free software, this includes fixed price quotations and delivery dates, open communication, full transparency, and post-delivery support. For unparalleled mobile app development that propels your business forward look no further than Envoy Advanced Technologies.
Liam Flemming shared this wonderful sentiment on Google, “These guys are some of the best in Sydney. I have met with many of the developers and the owner. Great people, fantastic to find such openness and honesty these days.”
Digital marketing technologists, the Baha Agency, specialise in web design, web development, and mobile applications. Using open source, off-the-shelf integrated solutions, and bespoke tech stacks they created integrated solutions to service client need.
With offices in Canberra and Melbourne, Baha Agency work with clients to develop mobile applications that drive competitive advantage and data insight. For a team keen to bring your vision to life look to Baha Agency.
As Felipe Lopez shared on Google, “Great ideas and excellent service. This is what Baha Agency will offer you. 100% recommended.”
Award-winning digital creative agency, 372 Digital, have been developing digital solutions for some of Canberra, and indeed Australia’s biggest brands since 2008. As digital development specialists, they have a specific focus on software and web applications development.
Striving to provide the finest quality of service to all clients, they offer mobile and tablet app dual platform development along with API integration. Having worked with Federal and ACT government agencies, along with small to large businesses they are a great choice.
Megan Anderson shared this sentiment on Google, “Fantastic people to deal with. Super friendly and amazing work ethic. Highly recommend.”
Full-service web agency, Subz Designs, have a glowing reputation amongst the local Canberra community. Renowned for their creative flair, technical excellence, and unwavering integrity, they provide a range of digital solutions.
From website and mobile app development all the way through to graphic design, the team are committed to ensuring clients stand out from the competition. Centrally located in Canberra City, look toward Subz Designs for your next mobile app development project.
Clare Corkhill shared this review on Google, “Extremely happy with my experience with Subz Designs. Tansu has developed a fantastic app for us - he made the development seem easy and seamless, and most importantly the support he has provided after its launch is always quick and thorough. Would not hesitate to use Subz Designs again for our next project and highly recommend their services to others.”
From humble beginnings in 2008, Web 99 have grown to a team of over sixty in-house IT professionals who live and breathe tech innovation. With over 400+ website builds and countless marketing campaigns, they offer a range of web solutions for clients.
Amongst their development laden service offering is web, mobile, and custom API and plug in development. Their team of experienced developers, designers, and strategists collaborate with clients to create bespoke app solutions that meet the brief.
Daniel Salib had this to say on Google, “The team at Web99 are knowledgeable, experienced and provide great value for money.”
For other related services see our articles on the best software developers, the best web developers, the best web designers, and the best marketing agencies, in Canberra. If you’re looking for helpful information on improving your business, you might like our article on the best managed information technology support services and the best business advisers the region has to offer.
Your experience with mobile app developers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the mobile app developers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does mobile app development include?
Mobile app development typically encompasses the strategy, design, creation, testing and release of installable software across smartphones, tablets, and other digital devices.
What are the benefits of creating a mobile app solution?
Mobile apps offer many benefits to their creators and customers. For creators, it opens the door to a new communication channel, improves loyalty, lifts engagement, and provides a competitive edge. Some key customer benefits include boosting accessibility, adding value, and creating a more personalised experience to name but a few.
How long does a mobile app take to be developed?
While this all depends on the nature of the project, some apps can be ready for release in as little as four to six months. For an accurate timeframe, consult a specialised mobile app developer.
What mobile operating system should the app be developed on?
For maximum exposure to your customer base development should ideally be across the two core operating systems. That said, development across each can be costly, so consult your development team for a recommended approach.
How does a mobile app get on an app store?
To publish an app on one of the various app stores, an account set up is generally required. This brings with it an annual fee, along with the expectation that each app adheres to set guidelines and principals. For more, consult the store vendors and speak to your app development team.