The pub – much loved by locals everywhere. With origins that a span a few hundred years, the old public house remains a focal point for communities. The warm, welcoming environment, cheerful conversation, and a perfectly poured pint, are familiar pub qualities that we know and love.
Home to a catch up with friends, long family lunch, and evening drinks, pubs here in Queanbeyan are no different. Indeed, some of our local establishments are almost as old as the town itself, boasting heritage charm in spades. Others have experienced a modern revival, catering to evolving tastes and trends.
Despite their differences, there is one thing that all great pubs have in common – their ability to unite people. Whether it be Tuesday night schnitzel, Wednesday night trivia, or happy hour there is plenty to bring us together.
A great pub really is the perfect place to meet. Whether you are visiting the region or looking to explore beyond your regular there are so many wonderful local options. Thankfully, we’ve selected the best in breed pubs that Queanbeyan has to offer.
What makes a great pub?
Great pubs are the perfect place to meet, uniting classic comfort food with cold drinks and good times. Looking for a great pub? Here are some things to consider:
- Warm & welcoming. Pubs are known for their casual and relaxed take on drinking and dining. Here, everyone is welcome from Monday night regulars through to their out-of-town guests. The best pubs scream warm and welcoming from the minute you walk through the door. Be it the friendly staff, cosy décor, or nostalgic familiarity, they are places that make you just want to stay.
- Ice cold drinks. Cold beer correctly poured is a hallmark of good pubs the region over. While beer on tap and house wines are non-negotiables, great also offer the finest craft brews around. Moreover, some pubs also boast a curated selection of crowd favourites, like bubbles and spirits, along with a handful of non-alcoholic alternatives.
- Classic comfort food. When it comes to pub grub clear connotations of classic comfort food immediately spring to mind. As a nod to our colonial heritage these classic dishes are both humble and generous at the same time. From puddles of gravy-soaked chips through to beef and beer pies there is much to warm the heart and soul. From single serves, through to share plates, and snacks, look for comfortable classics and simple modern fare.
- The great outdoors. While pubs are the perfect nestling ground for wintery evenings, they are equally as great when the weather shines. Indeed, the best pubs boast considered outdoor spaces from roof tops, terraces, beer gardens and more. These natural areas capture the best that our climate has to offer and are a social haven for patrons. Look for loads of greenery, a mixture of shaded seating, and even a view.
- Lots to do. Historically, pubs began a centrepiece for public gatherings and today’s iterations are no different. What has changed is the nature of how guests come together. Great pubs have built a reputation for delivering exciting social events and things to do. From trivia competitions and raffle nights, through to fundraising and televised sports, they have something fun for everyone.
The best pubs in Queanbeyan
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
A classic nod to its art deco heritage, the Tourist Hotel is steeped in tradition. Open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, they feature a bistro with classic pub dishes and a stone-grilled meals.
With a calendar full of events from trivia night and country jams they are the perfect place to drop in or spend a while. Known for providing beautiful surroundings, delicious dining, and fine wines, this local pub is hard to beat.
John Kidd had this to say about his experience on Google, “Super pub with great set of menus. Beer is cold and enjoyable.”
For countless generations the Royal Hotel QBN has been the birthplace of many celebrations. First built in 1850 and reopened in 1926 in the same iconic local site, this much-loved pub is a local delight. Their award-winning bistro has built a reputation for quality ingredients, generous portions, and delight flavours.
Home to live music a plenty, the Royal Hotel QBN boasts a functions and events arm with a multitude of spaces to surprise and delight guests. For fine selection of beverages, a memorable meal and great company look to the Royal Hotel QBN.
Stephanie Bell shared her experience on Google, “Excellent food and atmosphere, the cocktails were fantastic. Best steak I've had in ages! Live music on a Thursday night, wonderful staff, and facilities.”
From humble beginnings close to a century ago, Hotel Queanbeyan has grown to become a popular pub at the heart of the local community. Dripping with heritage charm they are all about delivering great value, generous serves, and excellent quality.
Boasting a bistro, public bar, sports bar and beer garden, Hotel Queanbeyan serves lunch and dinner all throughout the week. The perfect place for a hearty workplace lunch or relaxed family dinner this local gem is a wonderful choice.
RL W shared this glowing review on Google, “Great pub, awesome atmosphere, friendly staff, great food and drink! So glad we chose to come and eat here..... great value for money!”
After first opening its doors in 1934, Campbell & George have transitioned into one of the regions most loved pubs. The perfect place to dine and unwind, they cater to family and friends with a selection of dining options.
From the bistro and sports bar to the Italian kitchen, each offers the freshest local ingredients that blend nostalgic flavours with modern tastes. For those who prefer a little more action, the outdoor beer garden and barefoot bowls is sure to hit the spot.
Leonil Pepingco had this to say on Google, “A pub with a great atmosphere and regular fun events most evenings. The clientele, staff and hosts are wonderful with a nice, relaxed atmosphere.”
Your experience with pubs in Queanbeyan
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the pubs in Queanbeyan listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Pub versus bar – what is the difference?
A pub, short for public house, is a licensed establishment that focuses on the service of beer and wine alongside hearty meals. Bars on the other hand cater more to an expansive beverage service, at times supported by snacks or small appetisers to enhance the overall experience.
What kind of food do pubs serve?
Pub meals are characterised by simple, hearty, and generous meals. Traditional pub grub includes the likes of steak and fries or chicken schnitzel along with comfort foods such as pies. Some pubs even specialise in certain cuisines such as Italian woodfire pizza or Mexican tacos. Many pubs offer a la carte menus along with feature meals designed to be shared.
Can I bring my children to the pub?
Yes, you can. Queanbeyan’s pubs are known for their casual atmosphere and family friendly dining experience. Day sittings work best and remember to steer clear of any gaming or bar areas with the little ones. If in doubt, contact your local pub directly.
Are pubs dog friendly?
Some Queanbeyan pubs are dog friendly, so do be sure to give them a call before you visit. Bear in mind that they will generally need to be seated outdoors, rather than an internal courtyard or beer garden, and kept on a leash to ensure they don't cause too much of a bother for other guests.
What other activities are available at pubs?
Many pubs offer a variety of fun activities throughout the course of the week. From trivia and raffle nights through to live music and viewing of major sports events there is plenty on offer. For event details contact your local pub.