Did it start when you hauled those buckets out during a recent storm? Did you hear shaking sounds overhead that were anything but wind? Maybe you are gearing up for sale and seeking to boost your curb appeal and add value? Perhaps you realised that your skyline is the worst in a street of horizontal masterpieces?
Whatever your circumstance, a roof repair or replacement may be in order. Roofs are the unassuming pinnacles of the structures in which we reside. Although we may not always see them, we know when they are – and are not working. They complete the architectural vibe of buildings, provide structural integrity, protect from the elements, and keep temperatures at bay.
But sometimes things do not go as planned. Canberra’s storms and wild weather can cause serious damage; or even just time and exposure to elements can do the trick. And quite often, by the time you have noticed the symptoms, the damage has already been done.
The good news is that Canberra is also home to some great roof repair specialists. However, finding the right roof repair specialist can be quite daunting. Just like any trade, there are bad roofers and then there are good roofers. A lack-lustre repair or poorly installed roof can be disastrous for both your home and contents.
That is why finding the right roof repair service the first time around is so important. Now, how do you separate a good contractor from a bad one, and where do you find the best in Canberra? Keep reading to find out!
What makes a great roof repairer?
The best roof repair services know that quality roofing is the capstone to a sound and beautiful home. They deliver expert craftsmanship, finishing premium materials against all manner of pitches, angles, and spaces. Their roofs are watertight, sturdy, and look magnificent too. Here is what we think separates the best roofers from the rest:
- Qualified and licensed. As roofing is hazardous work there are a few things to keep in mind with qualifications and licensing. Firstly, roof installers within the ACT must hold a C or D class building license issued the by the ACT Planning and Land Authority. Secondly, installers can also require a high risk work license issued by WorkSafe ACT, along with a white card. As for qualifications, the prerequisites are generally Certificate III in Roof Plumbing or Roof Tiling or a Certificate II in Metal Roofing and Cladding. Finally, be mindful that roofing is subject to several building codes and standards. For a professional finish that is also compliant ensure your trade has the appropriate credentials.
- Insured. Any vertical work is serious business in terms of safety. Scaffolding and ladders present hazard risks, particularly when navigating upper stories and restricted spaces. As such, always ensure that your roof repairer or installer is covered by an appropriate level of public liability insurance. This will ensure any accidents are covered appropriately, and provides peace of mind for you as the buyer.
- Manufacturer certified. Great roof repairers use premium materials and are certified contractors for the products they are installing. This means that manufacturers have effectively given contractors a seal of approval. To gain this certification a contactor must adhere to the highest of standards and deliver quality installations. Why is this important? Well, it validates the manufacturer warranty, which is often carries the most weight in terms of guarantee tenure. With some manufacturers offering guarantees of 25 years or more do your homework if a roof replacement is on the cards.
- Clear quotes. As with most trades, it pays to invest some time into obtaining quotes from various contractors. These quotes should stipulate all the detail you need to assess the quality of products, and of course workmanship. Quotes should include a description of the work, material specifications, start and completion dates, payment terms, and warranties. These small details should all be easily answered and included on the contract for transparency.
- Warranties and after care. In addition to manufacturer warranties, great roofers will also guarantee their workmanship. Any roof repairer or installer that is prepared to back their offer with formal warranties in writing are worth considering. Moreover, contractors who offer after care services like repairs and maintenance allow you to conveniently shop under the one roof.
The best roof repairers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
The professionals behind Clear Cut Roofing renew and repair all types of roofs, with competence and care. This local, reputable roofing company—highly skilled , fully qualified and fully insured—guarantees the best quality at the best cost. They only use top products and never cut corners.
Clear Cut Roofing's team works with all types of roofs—flat, pitched, porch, garage, shed and pergolas. They repair, clean and fit guttering, downpipes and fascia.
Free, no-obligation estimates and quotes are available. Clear Cut Roofing ensures minimum disruption and leaves properties clean and tidy. They also offer competitive pricing and 5% discount for seniors.
On Google, Julie Samuels wrote, “... excellent professional service in a very short timeframe. The inspection and repairs were thorough and well-documented. I was provided with before and after photos. The work was guaranteed.”
Leaky Roof is a Canberra run, family owned business specialising in roof repairs and restorations for both tiled and metal roofs. They know how much people value their homes, and their team works hard to make sure that every step is met with the utmost care.
Leaky Roof has the highest quality of knowledge to help with a range of your roofing needs. From broken tiles, flashings, ridge capping, dektites, gutter guards and a whole range of other services. The team will make sure your roof is taken care of.
With over 30 years experience in the roofing industry, Leaky Roof strives to deliver the best customer service. From the initial first contact, you will speak with their friendly team who will do their best to accommodate all your needs - to the roofers, delivering the highest standard in workmanship.They're also giving away a $20,000 roof restoration. ENTER NOW!
Paul Scherr wrote on Google, “Leaky Roof’s inspection was prompt … The installation team turned up on time and just got on with it.”
The roof repair specialists at Agile Roofing Canberra value quality, transparency, honesty and excellent customer service. This local Canberra-based and family-owned roofing company has mastered all aspects of roofing, both domestic and commercial. Only high-quality materials are used.
Agile Roofing’s team of specialist roofing contractors installs new roofs, maintains and restores existing roofs, and provides roof painting services. Agile Roofing also replaces gutters and installs gutter guards. Its specialist roofing contractors install new Colourbond metal roofs for builders.
Free quotes are provided for all services and prices are competitive. Agile Roofing offers a 30-year guarantee for new roofs and roof replacements.
Agile Roofing is a full-service roofing company that services Canberra and surrounding areas. They have all clients covered.
James Russell-Jones wrote on Google, "Fantastic service. Great communication, the guys arrived early and got started on the roof, finished it all up pretty quickly, and provided evidence of their work. Definitely recommend!"
Raw Roofing’s highly experienced contractors are skilled at installing, replacing, refurbishing and repairing both residential and commercial roofing. With 10 years’ experience, the team has extensive knowledge in all aspects of roofing. Fully qualified, licensed and insured, Raw Roofing provides obligation-free advice, quality service, exceptional workmanship and a 10-year workmanship guarantee.
Lorelle D’Arcy wrote on Google, “Totally professional service from the initial quotation process through to complete installation to replace a verandah roof and guttering.”
Locally owned and operated, MC Roofing & Guttering have been servicing Canberra and surrounds for over 15 years. With a specialising in roof maintenance and replacement services, they work with clients to create custom solutions that befit needs.
They are fully licensed, accredited, and insured and pride themselves on being the dependable experts that clients can rely on. With a two-year workmanship warranty and clean operation promise this team is hard to beat.
Katherine shared this great feedback on Google, “Mike did a great job restoring my roof. He was friendly, professional and prompt. Highly recommended. Thanks Mike!”
If you’re looking for more information on repairs services in Canberra, you might like our article on the best gutter repair and replacement services, the best drain relining services, or the best builders and renovators Canberra has to offer.
Public warnings against roof repairers
It’s important to conduct research before selecting a roof repairer, so you choose one that doesn’t have a dodgy reputation or poor past performance.
Part of your research should include heading to the Access Canberra website to read public warning issued against traders and businesses, including roof repairers. This is a red flag that these companies have not acted professionally – and in some cases against Australian Consumer Law – with roof repair projects.
The ACT Commissioner for Fair Trading issues public warnings against some roof repair companies, to help consumers avoid being left out-of-pocket. Many issues can lead to a public warning, include taking deposits from customers but then not carrying out the work. Other issues can be leaving work unfinished or in sub-standard condition, or operating without a license.
Check before choosing a roof repair company in the ACT.
Your experience with roof repairers in Canberra
Special thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience with the roof repair services listed above? Share your experience in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do roof repairs cost?
Roof repair costs tend to vary and are based on the nature and scale of repair, type of coating used, along with roof pitch and accessibility. Generally, you can expect to pay between $200-$500 for a spot repair, with larger repairs charged by the square metre. A full restoration on an average size house typically starts at $2,500. It is worth obtaining a couple of quotes to assess options and of course costs.
How do I know if my roof needs repairing?
Signs of roof deterioration can be found both in and outside of the home. Internally, you may find signs of water damage such as leaking or water spots on ceilings and wall. Externally, you may notice loose materials, significantly worn areas, mould, rot or moisture, crumbled or cracked tiles and corrosion.
How long does roof restoration take?
A typical roof restoration can last anywhere from 3 to 10 days. The duration is dependent on the type and size of restoration, the buildings overall structural integrity, and of course the weather.
What is the lifespan of a restored roof?
A restored roof can offer a lifespan of 10 years or more. Keep in mind that the lifespan does depend on a couple of factors including climate, materials used, and quality of workmanship.
How do I know if my roof needs to be replaced?
In some cases, the level of deterioration is so great that a roof replacement may be needed. This may include cases of roof sagging, large scale corrosion, and damage. Although the initial outlay for a roof replacement is greater, you will reap the long-term benefits minus the hassle and expense of frequent repairs.