You are well on the way to planning your wedding day in Canberra: a momentous occasion marking the unity of love, family and life – and without doubt you want it to be memorable.
Every Canberra wedding celebration is a feast for the senses, and now is the time to focus on creating the right atmosphere through sound – selecting your wedding music. Be it a band, musician or talented DJ, there is plenty to consider.
From the ceremony to the reception, your wedding music plays a huge role in drumming up the mood and connecting your guests with the emotion that the day will have in store.
With all this responsibility, it is no wonder that wedding entertainers are booked well in advance. Finding a skilled local musician, band or DJ who reflects your style is one thing, but selecting the right one without seeing them play live is another!
If you’re searching for a professional wedding musician, band or DJ in Canberra, look no further. We’ve taken the time to do some research and have some handy points to make this process easier, along with some recommendations for the best musical entertainers in the Canberra region.
What makes a great wedding band, DJ or musician?
Choosing the right wedding band, DJ or musician will help create an atmosphere that not only reflects who you are as a couple, but also energises the mood and thoroughly entertains your guests.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when selecting your musical entertainer:
- Style match. Every couple is unique and so too are their tastes in music. Seek a musician who not only complements your taste, but also suits the venue and overall theme of the day. A string quartet exudes formal elegance, a salsa band screams fun, while jazz speaks of sophisticated sass. Consider whether the band or DJ suits the venue and surrounds and be sure to peruse any available demos or videos from previous weddings to get a feel for how they work in the moment.
- Expertise. When it comes to a wedding musician, band or DJ, experience is key. Look for those who are veterans in this space to ensure a polished performance on your big day. Several well-heeled years performing live to diverse audiences ensures your performer of choice is versed in reading the room and tailoring their performance to ride the response of the crowd.
- Expansive repertoire. A wedding is a long affair and often attended by an eclectic mix of people. This means you can’t simply be guided by your own tastes; consider your guests and the type of music they will want to listen – and dance – to. Ensure your musician can cater their set to a broad mix of genres and styles to bring music to the ears of each guest. Be sure to nut out your song list, along with any of their suggestions on what to have, as great bands will have loads to contribute to make your wedding memorable.
- Flexibility. While the contract should cover all of the main items for your event, some aspects of your wedding are harder to plan for. Be sure to understand contingencies for things such as illness, whether they are prepared to extend their set, and respective charges. Also consider how they perform. Are they willing to adapt to suit changing moods of the reception? Are they open to taking requests? Can they lead a crowd to really get the party going?
- Professionalism. With the level of detail and planning that go into every aspect of a wedding, both large and small, you want to have comfort knowing that your musical performers will execute their duties with nothing less than polished perfection. Whether they are there as the band alone or acting as master of ceremonies, be sure to check that they will look and act the part. Ask what they will wear, when they will arrive, how long they need for a sound check, what equipment will be needed and so on.
The best wedding bands, DJs, and musicians in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintained a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
A game changer in the events industry, BoomBox2U offers all-in-one mobile wedding DJ services to suit any musical style or taste. Their revolutionary life-sized units provide interactive old-school fun that is sure to surprise and delight guests.
A hallmark of their wedding DJ service is their namesake BoomBox. Artfully crafted they provide more than just music and a DJ. These all-encompassing entertainment units can also project photographs, logos, video, and even facilitate karaoke allowing guests to select their own songs.
Their unique look and interactive capabilities not only deliver great sound they are also completely portable. This innovative and convenient solution is perfect for all manner of wedding celebrations and has captured the hearts of hosts and wedding planners far and wide.
BoomBox2U’s DJ’s have over fifteen years’ experience within the wedding entertainment industry. They have catered to all manner of wedding types - from traditional to LGBTQ+, themed weddings, and those from countless cultures. Their mobile service covers Canberra and Sydney however the team can travel to service many locations around Australia.
The team offer a variety of wedding DJ services and a range of packages that cater to individual client needs. For a memorable and inclusive experience that keeps guests dancing on your special day look to BoomBox2U.
Jodee Marques wrote on Google "We hired BoomBox2U for our school formal and was really impressed with their setup, professionalism & exceptional customer service. The students and teachers all had a great time, we will definitely reengage them in the future."
Azlan is an engaging, original and super adaptable performer who sets himself apart with his unique and distinctive style. With an interesting musical foundation of percussion-oriented acoustic guitar playing and layering of riff, rhythm and vocal harmony, this attention-grabbing technique combined with his enthusiastic stage presence gives a lively, dynamic and surprising show.
Azlan’s variety and quality is also impressive – he can satisfy a broad range of music lovers with a playlist of covers that spans both time and style, delivered with his own refreshing takes and laid back ambience, able to satisfy expectations, do justice to classics and still infuse his own flavour into the tunes.
Azlan’s music is all about putting the audience at ease, crafting an atmosphere of beers on the beach and lazy Sundays and music you can't help but dance to. Book Azlan Bathusha for your wedding, and you and your guests are guaranteed to have an amazing time.
With 10 years and over 500 weddings Something Like This has built a flawless reputation for delivering exciting and memorable wedding performances.
Catering to a broad mix of musical styles they at home playing everything from jazz, to pop, rock, and soul and even top 40. Available for the intimacy of your vows to the height of your reception this Canberra Wedding Band are to get those hands in the air.
Paula shared their great experience with Something Like This on RiotACT, “Had them play for us at our reception a month or two ago. FANTASTIC! Super easy to deal with and got everyone up and dancing the whole night…highly recommend.”
Performing at over 60 weddings each year Hitparade are a multi-talented four-piece band with each artist clocking over an impressive 20 years in the industry.
Featuring a live guitar with male and female vocals they are known for delivering rich harmonies, broad arrangements and super stylish presentations to an ever-changing list of classics and hits.
For a Canberra wedding band who are small in size but big in sound look to Hitparade.
Joe Condi gave Hitparade a glowing review on Google, “We would highly recommend Hitparade for any function. Everyone at our wedding enjoyed, and danced the night away. My wife and I loved the performance that much that we stayed till the end.”
Looking for more wedding musicians, bands or DJs? The Canberra Fair is designed to help create your perfect wedding. Fair access will allow brides to explore and experience an array of premier wedding bands on show, a bridal runway, foodie fair and more. Keep an eye on the Canberra Fair for details of the next showcase.
Your experience with wedding bands, DJs and musicians in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the wedding performers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a wedding band cost?
Wedding bands have their own fee structures based on their size, number of live instruments and vocals, their set length and incidentals including travel, accommodation and crew meals. Costs typically range from $2000 to more than $8000.
How long will the band play and what happens during breaks?
The typical set length for a live wedding musical performer is four hours for a reception. If your act is also playing during the ceremony and canapes, then the overall time is obviously longer. Each musician, band or DJ will require some breaks for drinks and meals, and will manage this time accordingly. During reception breaks, some may offer to play recorded instrumentals or songs of choice.
What stage, audio or visual equipment do we need to provide?
Most musical entertainers will come well equipped with all that is needed on the day. In most cases all that is needed is space, and should a stage and additional equipment be available, great bands will make the most of it. Be sure to run through venue facilities with your band ahead of time to ensure they are comfortable with the set-up and allow ample time for this.
Do musical performers tailor their song lists and take requests?
Each musical performer generally reflects a unique style and with it an accompanying song list. Great bands will work with you to create a list that reflects you and your guests, and will be open to taking a few requests on the day.
Can we extend the set?
Most entertainers will be more than happy to extend their set, subject to their schedule on the day. It is worth defining an extension plan alongside the contract, to agree on when the decision will be made and respective costs.