Planning your special day? Congratulations.
One of the most important decisions you and your partner will need to make is the wedding venue. The venue can make or break the wedding, and will determine the overall look and feel of the ceremony.
Whether you’re inviting 300 guests or 30, our list will help you discover some of the best wedding venues in Canberra.
What Makes a Great Wedding Venue?
Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life. It’s a celebration of love, the future, family, and of being alive. Of course, you want it to be as special – and run as smoothly – as possible.
When looking for the perfect venue, we suggest keeping an eye out for the following features.
- Picture perfect. One of the most important aspects of your wedding venue is how it looks. The location should be picture perfect, and fit in with whatever theme you are going for. Look for natural beauty – such as sweeping views – and man-made beauty – such as unique architecture.
- Conveniently located. If you, your friends, and your family live in the Canberra region, it’s best to book a wedding venue that is conveniently located. This can make transport to and from your wedding much easier and cheaper.
- Well facilitated. The best wedding venues have all the necessary facilities to ensure you and your guests are comfortable during the event. That means enough bathrooms, tables and chairs, music facilities, kitchen facilities, and whatever else is important to you.
- Well priced. Chances are, you’ve come up with a realistic wedding budget. The venue will be one of the most expensive aspects of your wedding, so it’s best to look for somewhere that’s priced fairly.
- Excellent staff. If the venue provides any sort of servicing staff (such as waiters), you want them to be friendly, attentive, and skilled.
The Top 5 Wedding Venues in Canberra According to You
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
1. Contentious Character
With an enchanting backdrop of rolling hills, and incredible views of the Snowy Mountains, Contentious Character is a stunning destination choice for your special day. Contentious Character is a cold-climate winery situated in Wamboin, about 30km east of central Canberra, and is perfect for weddings with character.
Contentious Character offers a number of district locations for your celebration: the vineyard lawn complete with real peacocks, the sprawling deck with awe-inspiring views, and the intimate fireside lounge to name a few.
All buildings are architecturally designed, and stand in harmony with the spectacular surrounds. These, as well as the idyllic scenery, make for the perfect wedding photographs.
Offering a bespoke wedding service, the friendly, local staff are more than willing to meet your specific needs and go the extra mile to ensure your wedding is one to remember.
“We don’t want to be a wedding machine, we want to join you in creating a bespoke day that brings out your character and the magic of the moments as the day and evening roll on. That’s why we provide a range of options across food, beverages and staging. That’s why we don’t pretend to be experts in everything wedding. Rather we have trusted partners who can work with you directly keeping costs down on items such as flowers, photography, accommodation and transport.
What we do well is presenting food the way you like it, paired wines of your choice, chosen from an enormous range all grown and produced on the property. So the experience is full of local character as well.” Tony Mansfield, Contentious Character.
A wedding at Contentious Character truly is something special.
2. Pialligo Estate
Celebrate your big day in elegance and style at the spectacular Pialligo Estate. Situated on the stunning banks of this historic Molonglo River, the estate is a multi-purpose venue with an olive grove, orchid, fine-dining restaurant, and vineyard.
Couples and their beloved guests can select from a number of venues:
- The Glasshouse – an open space of peaceful elegance and timeless tranquillity, with the capacity to seat between 30 and 230 guests.
- The Garden Pavilions – a collection of unique and private areas with panoramic views of the breathtaking surrounds.
- The Lawns – a causal outdoor space that makes the most of the natural environment.
Whether opting for a morning, midday, or evening wedding, the Pialligo Estate’s restaurant can provide a custom menu, catering to your unique dietary requirements and preferences.
With rustic charm and a natural appeal, the Pialligo Estate is truly a wonderful place to host your very special day. There is no shortage of photo backdrops and the serene and sophisticated decor will help make your wedding one to remember.
3. The Boat House
Tucked away in its own private parklands, The Boat House is a stunning location for a wedding. This unique lakeside venue recently took home the Best Wedding Venue in the ACT at the Restaurant and Catering Awards.
Couples work directly with owner James Souter to design a day that reflects their personal wants, needs, and values.
Offering breath-taking views of the Kingston Foreshore, plus creative, fine-dining food, you simply cannot go wrong with the ultra-classy Boat House.
4. The Royal Canberra Golf Club
Set among the Westbourne Woods, the Royal Canberra Golf Club is a spectacular backdrop to your special day. Their committed wedding coordinator and award-winning chef work closely with you to create a day to remember.
The Royal Canberra Golf Club’s all-inclusive wedding packages can be held in the Garden Terrace and/or the Formal Dining Rooms. Decorated tastefully, these charming venues overlook the perfectly manicured fairway.
The Royal Canberra Golf Club is suitable for weddings of up to 130 guests.
5. The National Museum of Australia
Looking for something unique? The National Museum of Australia offers an architecturally inspiring location to say, “I do”. Discover sweeping decks, huge windows, and mountain, city, and lakeside views at every turn.
Museum weddings are serviced by Broadbean Catering & Events, the highest-awarded caterers in Canberra. They offer exceptional food designed especially for you and your guests’ needs.
For something truly memorable, consider a wedding at The National Museum of Australia.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra wedding venues.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based wedding venues? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?