Cemented as a permanent fixture on the annual events calendar, the Canberra Comedy Festival will return in 2015 for the biggest festival yet.
Now in its third year, the 2014 festival attracted a whopping 7,600 comedy loving canberrans and reunited the Doug Anthony All Stars! The 2015 festival will run from 17 to 22 March, kicking off with the annual star-studded Opening Night Gala. Over the next 6 days 60 shows will be presented by the world’s best comedians, and by festival favourites.
The festival will be run in venues across Canberra, including Canberra Theatre Centre, ANU Arts Centre, Novotel Canberra and The Civic Pub. Shows will also be co-presented with Enlighten. Now a major venue partner, more shows than ever before will be held at Canberra Theatre Centre in 2015, as we turn the theatre complex into a buzzing Comedy Festival hub.
Canberra Theatre Centre Director, Bruce Carmichael said about the partnership; “I am so pleased to be a part of such a great event for the Nation’s Capital and to host such an acclaimed group of National and International comedians in our venue.”
Among the highlights;
- The 2015 festival has a true international flavour, as we welcome superstars such as Jason Byrne (Ireland), Mike Wilmot (Canada), Urzila Carlson (South Africa/NZ), Wil Sylvince (USA) and Sarah Kendall (UK).
- After a smash-hit season at the Edinburgh Fringe, The Umbilical Brothers return to Canberra with their new show KiDSHoW (Not Suitable for Children).
- One of the biggest comics in Australia right now, Ronny Chieng (It’s a Date, Problems, Triple J, Melbourne International Comedy Festival) returns to Canberra with his new show You Don’t Know What You’re Talking About.
- Australian favourites Peter Hellier (Rove Live, The Project), Akmal Saleh (Have You Been Paying Attention, Good News Week), Cal Wilson (Melbourne International Comedy Festival, Good News Week, Slideshow), Nazeem Hussien (Legally Brown, Triple J), Sammy J & Randy (Barry Award Winners 2010, Good News World) will all be presenting shows at the festival.
- John Safran (Ned Kelly Award Winner for True Crime 2014, Triple J) will present a very special performance and Q & A based around his award winning book, Murder in Mississippi.
- Plenty of Festival favourites are returning to Canberra in 2015 with brand new shows, including; The Stevenson Experience (Channel 10, The Comedy Channel), Daniel Connell, Luke Heggie, and Alice Fraser (SBS, FBi Radio).
- Matty Grey will again headline our children’s comedy program with his new show, Game On 2.
- The Late Night Festival Club, will return in 2015. Comics letting their hair down, late night bands, it’s wild and loose, you never what will happen.
- Locals Harris Stuckey, Chris Endrey, Sophie Rutzou, Toby Halligan, Andrew and Danny Bensley and Sparrow Folk, will all be presenting festival shows.
Associate Director Benjamin Stevenson says, “It’s only our third year, but in 2015 we’re not only delivering more shows in more venues than ever before, but we’ve also thrown the doors open to more international acts. Canada, UK, USA, Ireland, and New Zealand, as well as red hot Aussie and Canberran talents. I’m excited to see Canberra can now enjoy world class comedy right on their doorstep.”
The Canberra Comedy Festival is proudly run by Canberrans from the local Comedy scene in Canberra. Production is assisted by volunteers who are local amateur and professional comedians. The festival will allow the wider community to experience Canberra’s vibrant and burgeoning arts community centred on stand-up comedy.
For more information, and to purchase tickets, visit: www.canberracomedyfestival.com.au
(Canberra Comedy Festival Media Release)