Canberra FC triumph over our brave Tuggies

johnboy 12 February 2018

This in from Capital Football:

The loop Premier League has four Golden Boot winners for 2012 as the final round of action saw Alex Oloriegbe join Tigers team mate Stephen Domenici, Belconnen United’s Dustin Wells and Tuggeranong United’s Mark Shields on 21 goals at the top of the scoring charts.

Oloriegbe scored the second of Cooma’s two goals in their 2-2 draw with Belconnen United at McKellar Park with the Blue Devils fighting back from 0-2 down to earn a point. A brace of goals from David Kemp in the final ten minutes earned Belconnen a draw with the point vital in ensuring they become club champions by that sole point. Earlier Robbie Cattanach had given the visitors the lead before Oloriegbe doubled the advantage. Wells had a glorious chance to claim the Golden Boot outright but his the crossbar with a penalty in the second stanza.

At Deakin Stadium goals in either half from Aaron Evans and Lukas Cole helped Canberra FC to a 2-0 win over Tuggeranong United for whom chances for Shields were at a premium. The Tuggeranong hit man did see a late effort cleared off the line though but Canberra FC dominated most of the possession. Evans put the hosts in front in the ninth minute, rounding Matt McDonald to stroke home, whilst the second goal came direct from a corner as Cole, with his first touch, curled in a beauty that deceived the visiting defence.

USA imports Nick Hamilton and Peter Marlette ensured their names won’t be forgotten at Woden Valley in a hurry as they shared all three goals between them as Woden came from 0-1 behind to defeat Monaro Panthers 3-1 at Woden Park. Young striker Darian McGarry-Watson had given the Panthers a surprise first half lead before Hamilton levelled matters in the second stanza. The big defender was to score again later on with his brace sandwiching a goal from Marlette, his sixteenth goal of a productive season.

Over at Hawker Football Centre Canberra City sprung something of a surprise with a 3-0 win over Canberra Olympic. Olympic, who will play finals football next week, were soundly beaten by a City outfit who gave no quarter in a convincing performance. Sam McDonald put City ahead before half-time and a second half double from Pat Ross-Magee, who finally seems to have shaken off his injury curse, and Ben Doyle enabled City to cruise home. Olympic hardly helped themselves though when Jason Ugrinic missed a penalty.


What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter


Search across the site