Energy in Australia is a hot topic these days. Everyone wants to be sure they are getting the best deal available but it’s not always a straightforward matter. More and more people are finding the array of options and providers overwhelming and confusing.
A little bit of homework on your part can make the process of choosing an energy provider a lot less painful. We are here to help. We’ve done some research for you and have come up with some points to consider when comparing your options. Let’s get right into it.
What Makes a Reliable and Honest Electricity Provider?
- Pricing. Let’s be honest, price is probably the first thing to consider when choosing an energy plan. You might like to use an online comparison website to help you work through costing. The other option is to call each provider, ask them all the same questions, and compare them yourself.
- Reputation. Look for a provider that has been in the market for a while. New providers can come into the market with all sorts of incentives, but you want to make sure they are going to be around long-term. If they suddenly disappear, you’ll be faced with switching providers. This can be costly, not to mention time consuming.
- Plans. Does the provider have a plan that is suited specifically to your needs? Every household has different energy requirements and you don’t want to end up paying for services you don’t use.
- Customer Service. When something goes wrong or you have questions about your service you should be able to easily contact your provider, be met with a courteous response and get the relevant information you need. When these conditions fail to be met it is very easy to become dissatisfied and frustrated with your service.
- Transparency. Nobody likes to read the fine print but it’s recommended that you do this when choosing an energy provider. Ask for an Energy Price Fact Sheet. It should include tariff rates, all fees, all discounts and rebates, length of contract, cooling off period, where to access full terms and conditions, green power options, and options for solar customers. There are a number of Government websites that can help: try the Australian Energy Regulator’s My Energy Service and actsmart.
The Top 3 Electricity Providers in Canberra
We’ve done some research on energy providers in the Canberra area and came up with three great options to consider.
ActewAGL is a local energy provider with a history of over 100 years of community involvement. You can be sure they won’t be going anywhere soon.
Combining traditional customer service with state-of-the-art products, ActewAGL offers the best of both worlds. Great plans, very competitive pricing and flexible payment options are just the start of all the benefits you get when you choose ActewAGL.
Feel confident that you’re getting a great product, and at the same time, you’re part of a local company. ActewAGL employs over 800 people and takes pride in their community involvement, including sponsorship, fundraising and philanthropy. ActewAGL guarantees, “When it comes to being your local energy retailer, we’ll always be there for you.”
2. Origin Energy
Origin Energy is the largest energy provider in Australia.
They offer a range of benefits, including an extensive range of energy plans, online account management, flexible payment options, no lock-in contracts or exit fees, simple sign up and next business day connection. That’s a lot of great reasons to consider Origin when you’re looking for an energy provider.
3. Energy Australia
With over 1.7 million customers, Energy Australia is a large and reliable energy provider in Australia.
As well as winning awards for customer service and offering easy online account management, including quick sign up, Energy Australia is able to offer a 100% carbon neutral plan.
Other great benefits include online live chat, an innovative incentive plan and competitive discounts.
Your Experience with Electricity Providers in Canberra
What kind of experience have you had with electricity providers in Canberra? Share your story in the comments section below.