Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Dog poisoning in Canberra

By sandcaw 15 March 2012 24

As I sit here writing this, our treasured family pet, an eleven year old Jack Russell X, is lying seriously ill in a Canberra veterinary surgery after the diagnosis of being poisoned with Ratsak. On Sunday morning she was a little ‘off’ but, being a typical lazy eleven year old we didn’t think much of it. She sleeps on top of a chair, with her sister, great for looking out of the window and wonderfully warm, especially when the sun comes around.

She’s always been sensitive to her tummy being touched and has skinny female legs. She’s always been a bit precious, stressed, highly strung, but totally loved. She was wobbly this morning, but had a drink and went to her kennel as per usual. On coming home this evening, I found a dog that was disorientated, falling over and unable to hold her head up.

The vet and her colleagues were spot on. With the suspicions of a tick, snake bite and possible stroke, within minutes they diagnosed the poisoning. After several injections, where her blood was as thin and pale as water, our precious girl is now having a blood transfusion and we face an anxious wait.

We don’t know how the dog has been poisoned. We don’t use Ratsak and the dogs are, despite being JR’s, hopeless at catching rats and have never been interested. However, this is not to say that they haven’t taken a liking to something dead and, after all the heavy rains, we cannot discount the fact that it could have perhaps been washed into the garden. As for someone throwing something over the fence? Well, we just won’t go there.

Please be vigilant. If your dog seems unwell, keep a close eye on it. Our girl only showed minor signs but started to go off her back legs, before it affected her whole body. We would just like to alert dog owners here in Canberra that dogs do get poisoned; it’s something that we always read about happening to other people. We never imagined it would happen to our precious girl. We wait anxiously for tomorrow.

What’s Your opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
24 Responses to
Dog poisoning in Canberra
Filter
Showing only Website comments
Order
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Merle 11:51 am 20 May 12

Unfortunately deliberate dog poisonings do happen in Canberra, and not all that rarely either. It would be good if you could call and notify the RSPCA inspectors and Domestic Animal Services. That way, if they get other reports of similar things in your area they can at least warn the public (it’s really hard to catch these people).

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 9:48 am 20 May 12

Swines.

Harlequinade 7:04 am 20 May 12

I live in Belconnen and a neighbor informed me yesterday that her dog has been killed by poison 🙁

Our fences back onto an alley way and kids will often come and stir the dogs up to make them bark.
Ive caught them a few times throwing things over the fence or kicking the fence…but I end up just looking like the crazy old dog lady :/
Unfortunately one of my dogs has been debarked by its previous owner, so it has a bark thats amusing to the kids.

I double checked my backyard and i found about 5 or 6 tennis balls all grouped together..
but when i inspected them they seemed normal…unless theyve been sprayed with something, but would that really be anough to kill a dog? has anyone heard of someone doing this?

People suck.

EvanJames 11:39 pm 16 Mar 12

Spectacular news, I didn’t expect to hear that. And another vote of confidence in the vet at Hall, there was a thread about her here a while back.

so glad your friend is OK.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2018 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site