Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Dog poisoning in Canberra

By sandcaw - 15 March 2012 24

As I sit here writing this, our treasured family pet, an eleven year old Jack Russell X, is lying seriously ill in a Canberra veterinary surgery after the diagnosis of being poisoned with Ratsak. On Sunday morning she was a little ‘off’ but, being a typical lazy eleven year old we didn’t think much of it. She sleeps on top of a chair, with her sister, great for looking out of the window and wonderfully warm, especially when the sun comes around.

She’s always been sensitive to her tummy being touched and has skinny female legs. She’s always been a bit precious, stressed, highly strung, but totally loved. She was wobbly this morning, but had a drink and went to her kennel as per usual. On coming home this evening, I found a dog that was disorientated, falling over and unable to hold her head up.

The vet and her colleagues were spot on. With the suspicions of a tick, snake bite and possible stroke, within minutes they diagnosed the poisoning. After several injections, where her blood was as thin and pale as water, our precious girl is now having a blood transfusion and we face an anxious wait.

We don’t know how the dog has been poisoned. We don’t use Ratsak and the dogs are, despite being JR’s, hopeless at catching rats and have never been interested. However, this is not to say that they haven’t taken a liking to something dead and, after all the heavy rains, we cannot discount the fact that it could have perhaps been washed into the garden. As for someone throwing something over the fence? Well, we just won’t go there.

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
24 Responses to
Dog poisoning in Canberra
Goddess 7:40 pm 15 Mar 12

I have many different looking types of mushrooms/toadstools in my flower beds following all the rain we’ve had – do you think it could be that?

GardeningGirl 4:33 pm 15 Mar 12

Mothy said :

Bails said :

Does the dog bark excessively? Specifically at night time?

Point?

General comment, it crossed my mind too that one person’s beloved pet is another’s neighbourhood nuisance, no, actually on second thoughts beloved pets aren’t likely left abandoned in yards too small for their breed bored and lonely with no exercise on a long term basis which is the type of thing that can result in endless irritating barking. But whatever the owner does (comment not directed at this poster) the dog never deserves such cruelty.

Sandcaw, I hope your little dog will be alright. Is it possible she came across a new plant or bulbs for spring somewhere that are toxic, I’d hate to think it really was deliberate.

thy_dungeonman 4:21 pm 15 Mar 12

My mini fox-terrier who goes after (but does not consume) rats has swallowed both rat and snail poison .Fortunately we got her to the vet quick enough both times and had her stomach pumped and she had to take some medication. Funnily enough she would eat the pills straight out of your hand seeing as how unwary she is of strange substance unlike most dogs. She is now safe and happy, I hope your dog pulls through.

dungfungus 3:59 pm 15 Mar 12

carnardly said :

are they ever out without being on a lead? They could’ve snaffled some just walking past anyone’s garden.

I hope it was just an accident.

Did you give the doggy some leftovers from Gus’?

Mothy 3:41 pm 15 Mar 12

Bails said :

Does the dog bark excessively? Specifically at night time?

Point?

buzz819 said :

This is bad, where abouts in Canberra do you live?

+1, want to know how worried I should be.

Bails 3:36 pm 15 Mar 12

Does the dog bark excessively? Specifically at night time?

steveu 3:16 pm 15 Mar 12

Sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted. 🙁

vet111 2:47 pm 15 Mar 12

That sounds horrible, I hope it all turns out well for you.

Post on here if you need donors for blood, but it sounds like you’re sorted.

Good luck….

EvanJames 10:25 am 15 Mar 12

Little terriers are very good at rats, so it’s entirely possible that the dog got poisoned the old fashioned way. I want to believe that! I hope the dog pulls through.

carnardly 9:51 am 15 Mar 12

are they ever out without being on a lead? They could’ve snaffled some just walking past anyone’s garden. I hope it was just an accident.

SupaSal 9:44 am 15 Mar 12

Hope your ‘Baby’ gets over this. I have a Jack Russell who does chase, catch and consume mice – Neighbour had Chickens for a while – there where no mice insight just tails – I do NOT and never will use rat sack, I just wish everyone else out there would do the same, and snail bait!

schmeah 9:36 am 15 Mar 12

Oh no, I hope she’s ok. Hopefully it’s not a case of deliberate poisoning but maybe just that she’s eaten something toxic. I hate the thought of people poisoning family pets, it’s the lowest form of cruelty.

Chop71 9:24 am 15 Mar 12

Best of luck, I hope you (or the Vet) inform those who should know.

buzz819 9:14 am 15 Mar 12

buzz819 said :

This is bad, where abouts in Canberra do you live?

Dog owner.

That sounded pretty bad, sorry about that, I forgot to add,

I hope the girl get’s better soon!

buzz819 9:05 am 15 Mar 12

This is bad, where abouts in Canberra do you live?

Dog owner.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site