GDE and Jerrabomberra Hilton to blame for road decay?

johnboy 19 September 2006 50

Bill Stefaniak has been out for a drive with Steve Pratt and they’ve put out a media release decrying the ongoing decay of our once fine roads.

Bill and Steve blame a failure to draft a replacement to the five year road plan which ended last year, also the poorly contained costs of the Gungahlin Drive Extension, and finally the money being spent building the new prison (floridly described as the “Jerrabomberra Hilton”), for why there isn’t cash to fix the holed and pitted surfaces of Canberra’s roads.

(These are all good points but as Bill and Steve want to lock more people up wouldn’t it be best to stop paying a fortune to NSW to house them?)

In any event I can’t see it getting better until the car hating cyclists are purged from the ACT’s transport bureaucracy. Increasingly bad roads actually work towards the policy goals of the Stanhope Government as near as I can understand them.

50 Responses to GDE and Jerrabomberra Hilton to blame for road decay?
Ralph Ralph 10:36 am 20 Sep 06

Such as our monopoly water, electricity and gas provider. We don’t need TV ads tellings us how wonderful you think you are – because we have no choice anyway.

Unbeliever Unbeliever 11:03 am 20 Sep 06

There are plenty of irreconcilable interests in our little system of democracy here in the ACT, indeed nationally. And until we face up to these, the system will remain broken. But I’m going off topic.

Love RA for news content. In the ACT, there’s no better.

VYBerlinaV8 VYBerlinaV8 11:09 am 20 Sep 06

There’s not a lot of point expecting the public to field better political candidates – the ones who could genuinely do a better job are already much better paid than our elected officials anyway. Besides, it’s much more fun to bitch and moan.

Thumper Thumper 11:13 am 20 Sep 06

“Love RA for news content. In the ACT, there’s no better”

Yeah, have to agree on that score!

Not that anyone here actually agrees on much!

James-T-Kirk James-T-Kirk 11:14 am 20 Sep 06

VY, I agree,

Whinging won’t work. The employees in Government are clueless.

As long as people are happy to work in an environment where some other schmuk sets their salary, you will get clueless people with no drive .

Poor bloody teachers, and bus drivers.

Unbeliever Unbeliever 11:18 am 20 Sep 06

You illustrate my point perfectly. People are easy to criticise but lazy to take on the responsibilities that have a direct impact on their lives. We vote every few years or so, then quickly get back to our important lives, donut munching, tv watching wastes of time and we expect those elected to do the thinking and make all the decisions to run the place for us. What’s worryingly contemptIble isn’t my suggestion to step up and do better – unlike Stanhope I have nothing to gain by this request, but your determination not to directly act and change those things that affect you. Barracking and booing from the sidelines is the very common laziness you suffer from. And the government ain’t to blame for that.

Thumper Thumper 11:26 am 20 Sep 06

And in a way this forum helps address that by making highlighting certain issues.

I think one of the problems with trying to change things is the contempt that a member of public receives when they make a suggestion through letters to an MLA.

Anyway, it may not be a perfect system, but its the best we’ve got.

BTW, I don’t eat donuts and watch TV very rarely. 🙂

Mr_Shab Mr_Shab 11:37 am 20 Sep 06

Lots of people have their wages set by someone else. It’s called a CA, jackhole. If you’re happy with a CA, why the hell not go with it? I’m pretty damn happy with mine. More money would be nice, but who wouldn’t say the same. If I wanted something different, I’d talk to my boss.

I get easy hours, good pay and excellent benefits. Why the hell would I want to change that?

More money? What would I have to do for more money? Work for longer hours?

Some of my friends work in the private sector, and I wouldn’t switch with them for twice the pay. I value my leisure time more than money.

Must be my lack of drive.

Growling Ferret Growling Ferret 11:41 am 20 Sep 06

Thumper

As I have never written to an MLA, what is the response one gets, if any?

The majority agree that the mob in the ACT Legislative Assembly at the moment have their priorities about face – but if building the Jerra Hilton means we can develop a source of income into the future by taking NSW prisoners to make it a near revenue neutral facility, we have used land that could not be developed for residential purposes under a flightpath well…

But saying that, where are the possible revenue growth areas for the ACT Govt? Does anyone have any suggestions that will bring increased revenues, either through business/tourism/influx of residents into the ACT?

Thumper Thumper 11:47 am 20 Sep 06

Ferret,

Pretty much a policy line fob off.

Which I should have expected given my line of work!

Growling Ferret Growling Ferret 11:54 am 20 Sep 06

As you would be well aware, its not just local govt that answers constituents questions with vague, non-committal answers!

Danman Danman 12:11 pm 20 Sep 06

I worked as a chef in the private sector for 7 years.
Most people have heard my (and other RA ex chef posters) rants RE Hospitality and private sector.

I now have a “Guvvie” job I love it.

I get regular annual leave – can have sick days – get public holidays off AND PAID FOR and get weekends off.

When I was a chef Annual leave was just a bonus you got on completion of your tenure at a certain restaraunt. Sick days also just meant that you were going to have a shit day at work. As wrong as it is – most kitchens are understaffed so having a sick day is paramount to asking to be sacked. Bad – but its teh way it is.

I now get to work at 0730 – leave at 1530 – get paid 44k for 38 hours p/w.
Most I got in hospitality was about 38k for up to 70 hrs a week.

Maelinar Maelinar 12:48 pm 20 Sep 06

They could also point to the fact that they have had to put in roads, sewerage, power and all of those other urban niceities to the Airport on behalf of the Federal Government who decided it would be nice to put a shopping precinct out near where the ACT Government was putting one anyway. ACT coffers had to come up with the goods, and our roads are suffering for it.

But since voting labour in Canberra will never deliver a labour federal government there’s not a lot we can do about it really.

simto simto 1:12 pm 20 Sep 06

I’m highly amused by JB’s confidence in the government. You actually beleive if the current mob were paying more attention to local affairs, they’d manage them better? Judging by their approach when they go on national frolics (half-arsed, brainless and guaranteed to antagonise), we’re bloody lucky they’re not

I’d also point out that having a prison locally does mean that we might get a chance of getting a few more people imprisoned – when a judge is making a judgement call whether to impose a custodial sentance or not, one of the considerations is going to be how hard it’s going to be for their family to visit them. A prisoner is far more likely to be drawn into bad behaviour if they don’t have something to expect when they get outside again.

Now, I know there are a fair few enthusiasts for the “chuck ’em up against a wall and shoot ’em” method of justice, but if you’re going to believe in a prison system, you may as well try to work things so that that people who come out of it aren’t likely to reoffend immediately.

VYBerlinaV8 VYBerlinaV8 1:20 pm 20 Sep 06

“Some of us choose to work for the government because we don’t want to work in an environment where an 8-hour day is an aberration and evidence of a “lack of drive”. My drive (if you will) is to do my job properly without spending 14 hours a day engaged in a pissing contest about “who can stay the longest”.”

Hate to burst the bubble, but there are private sector jobs in this town where you work 40-45 hours per week, and make upwards of 100k. Perhaps it has something to do with accountability?

James-T-Kirk James-T-Kirk 1:33 pm 20 Sep 06

Mr_Shab
“Yet again JTK weighs in to demonstrate his superiority ‘cause he doesn’t work for the government. I bow before your private-enterprisiness and admit the failings of all my ilk. Sure, every pube fits the cardigan-wearing stereotype.”

A couple of points:

1 – I wear a cardigan – I like to wear it, as it is comfortable. I don’t wear a tie, except on the *rare* occasion where I really have to. Occasionally, I wear Jeans, and very occasionally, a suit.

2 – I arrive at work at about 9.15am, and leave at about 4pm. Sure I do the occasional Saturday, or night work when it is required, but I certainly don’t spend my life in pissing contests (Except when it comes to stirring up the Riot ACT).

3 – I have spent *many* years in Government, and in the end of private industry where things are set by somebody else. While I did enjoy it, I realised that working 80 hours per week doing Government IT for about $70K was shit! There was the constant threat that my job would be outsourced, and there were *many* pissing contests. Doing 90 hours/week was also not worth it.

4 – I hope that I am not superior. My intentions are to cause disharmony with the thinking group – I want people to think about *why* they work. Whether they enjoy their job, and What they are doing. If they decide that they don’t enjoy what they do, they should do something else. Sometimes starting a company is all that is needed. But do something, don’t complain.

5 – I genuinely believe that there are public servants who are worth something. I also know ofr a fact that there are people who are not worth the oxygen they are wasting, simply based on the additional workload we have to put in to fix their mistakes. (Perhaps we will call them Ministers)

6 – The MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL IS NOT TO COMPLAIN – DO SOMETHING USEFULL.

seepi seepi 2:56 pm 20 Sep 06

As citizens don’t we have the right to ask our govt for things like decent roads? In Germany the roads are in perfect condition – even in the little hick towns.

Unbeliever Unbeliever 3:12 pm 20 Sep 06

Seepi, don’t take this the wrong way, but if the politics (local/national/international) of recent years have illustrated anything is that citizens have jackshit rights to anything, less those pushing the agenda feel that upholding and for that matter denying a right will further their political careers. Legislated rights are incredibly vulnerable and common law rights in this country can just be legislated away.

andy andy 4:28 pm 20 Sep 06

don’t even start on the roads out to the airport….

cranky cranky 6:35 pm 20 Sep 06

The insidious winding back of amenity to motorists in the ACT is demonstrated beautifully by the traffic lights installed at the gate to the Jerra Hilton, This is a bare block of land, with access via a locked gate. Do we really need to fork out for this (fully operational) infrastructure, with its additional ‘early warning system’ and 80K limit, to access a locked gate??!! Just who the hell is given the right to decide that this measure, inconveniencing many, many motorists, is in the best interests of the ACT? Is this twit able to be second guessed? Hargreaves, are you there?

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.