Police have uncovered $100,000-worth of allegedly stolen property at a Kingston house after a man told them he had seen items burgled from his home advertised for sale online.
Liam Jay Martin, 23, has been charged over the incident and was granted bail in the ACT Magistrates Court on Monday (9 August).
In court documents, police said a man contacted them to say he had seen items belonging to him being advertised on Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree that had been stolen from his home during a burglary on 28 July 2021.
Martin was arrested on 8 August after police allegedly found a red Honda motorbike in his dining room and a white Nissan Skyline in his backyard. Police claim both had been reported as stolen.
Martin told them he had possessed the motorbike for years and that a mate had dropped off the Skyline at his place.
Police also allegedly found a large number of power tools, many of which had labels of other people’s names, as well as laptops and mobile phones.
“The defendant stated as he was unemployed he engaged in buy swap sell to make some extra money,” police told the court.
ACT Policing believes the allegedly stolen property was worth more than $100,000.
During the search of Martin’s home, police also allegedly found a box containing ammunition of various calibres.
When Martin appeared in the Magistrates Court on Monday (9 August), his lawyer, Lauren Skinner, entered not guilty pleas on his behalf to charges of receiving stolen property and possessing ammunition.
After the Kingston man applied for bail, Ms Skinner described him as “very vulnerable” due to his physical and mental health. She said he had diagnoses of autism and ADHD.
She said he had been on a disability support pension since he was 16 years old due to a disability, adding that he was well-supported in the community, lived with his mother and was willing to comply with bail conditions.
He previously worked as an apprentice panel beater.
The prosecutor opposed bail, alleging there was a likelihood of reoffending.
Magistrate Robert Cook noted that in March 2021, Martin had been convicted over a charge of obtaining property via deception in relation to an incident from 2019.
He said he would grant bail, but added that Martin would be brought back before the court if he reoffended.
The case was adjourned to 18 October.