Man extradited to NSW over alleged murder of partner

Michael Reid 13 July 2016

ACT Magistrates Court

The man accused of bashing to death his former partner at Bundeena in Sydney’s south on the weekend has been extradited from Canberra to NSW.

Stephen James Boyd, 51, appeared before the ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday afternoon wearing a neck brace and green tracksuit.

Crown prosecutor Shane Drumgold told the court NSW Police sought to extradite Boyd so he could face Queanbeyan Local Court.

Police had issued a warrant for Boyd’s arrest for a series of charges, including the murder of his former de facto partner, Tina Kontozis, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and breaching a protection order.

Under questioning from Mr Drumgold, Detective Sergeant Belinda Abdy, of Sutherland Local Area Command, said Boyd had prior convictions for breaching the protection order, and for violent offences against his partner and son.

Mr Drumgold said there were concerns Boyd would fail to appear at court, given the difficulty police had in apprehending him, and could commit further offences if released from custody.

Boyd did not apply for bail and declined to make any comment. He was handed over to NSW Police custody and is expected to face Queanbeyan Local Court on Friday.

Boyd was arrested in Braidwood on Sunday after a police chase. He was transferred from Queanbeyan Hospital to Canberra on Tuesday to receive treatment for a broken jaw and injured neck sustained in the chase.

Police believe he hit his head on the steering wheel when his car hit an embankment.

About 3pm on Sunday, NSW emergency services were called to a home on Beachcomber Avenue, Bundeena, on Sydney’s outskirts where they located the body of a 51-year-old woman.

Upon arrival police also found the woman’s 17-year-old son with an injured arm. He was taken to Sutherland Hospital for treatment.



What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter


Search across the site