North-South Divide, or 10 things I like about…

rosebud 22 August 2008 93

Top 10 things I like about the Northside:

— Walking up to Mt Ainslie from behind the War Memorial, particularly when the Balloons are up and there is snow on the mountains
— Dickson pool in summer
— Lonsdale St trendy shops
— Corroboree Park trees
— The Dendy
— Bollywood Marsala Indian takeaway at Dickson
— The AIS learn to swim program (I love the idea of kids learning to swim at an elite athlete college!)
— Cycling to work in 10 minutes…downhill!
— Gorman House
— Not living in Weston Creek!

93 Responses to North-South Divide, or 10 things I like about…
miz 11:18 am 24 Aug 08

Southside is unreal. I look out of my (govie house) bedroom window onto a wide vista of the Brindabellas. I never have to go to Civic and pay outrageous parking fees (been once only this year, and proud of it). The Hospital is south if we have an emergency. Having Woollies, Coles and Aldi in Tuggeranong makes groceries cheaper, plus there are a couple of thriving local shopping centres nearby with fruit and veg, butcher, PO/newsagency, chemist, excellent takeaway and supermarket, and two other local shops each with an IGA nearby. My local public schools are excellent (downside - ovals are lumpy, unuseable weedfests). There is a great vet at Fadden. I am two mins from a direct bus to work which goes the route I would drive anyway. Belco has a lot of horrid grey cement buildings, while Tuggeranong centre has red-roofed coordinated buildings with pleasing architecture. Don't care if people don't come over from the Northside, all the more for us!

miz 11:20 am 24 Aug 08

And finally, Stanhope lives on the Northside and he's a drongo.

BerraBoy68 12:04 pm 24 Aug 08

LOL. No need to explain. My reading of your earlier post was that you'd been drinking outside the take-away pre-stabbing. I think we've all deposited half drink beers somewhere on the way home from an late night binge in our youth (back when binges were more than the now official 'three drinks'that is). That's the other thing about Charny shops though, the amount of people I see there drinking beer just wondering around the shops. Strangely enough there was a couple there just yesterday, stubbies in hand, 'westie' shirts on wondering past the Liberals election stand outside the IGA.

peterh 11:12 am 25 Aug 08

[quote comment="128818"][quote comment="128807"]Drinking a beer in Charnwood doesn't make me a bogan, that's like saying anyone with a croissant in manuka is a snob.[/quote]

BTW: the new female Liberal candidate was there - I can't recall her name but she's about 6 foot 4. Can't say I'd vote for her (not that I'm able - I live Southside) but I found her quite cute.[/quote]

I remember that the takeaway was a short walk from Charny high. for more interesting fun, we'd go to the skate bowl on top of the hill, or down past the primary school on our bikes. living near the top shop was fun too. jumping the fence at csiro and going fishing on one of the dams was good too. (until I got salted by a shottie climbing back over the fence) cops couldn't stop laughing, they let us go. couldn't sit down properly for days.

peterh 11:14 am 25 Aug 08

sorry, was talking to a mate in qld, he was reminiscing. kambah is the same, but there are more mates from charnwood here now. going to organise a catchup soon for charny boys.

Thumper 11:31 am 25 Aug 08

And finally, Stanhope lives on the Northside and he’s a drongo

Miz wins.

dorkus mallorkus 11:44 am 25 Aug 08

Pratt lives on the southside. I think we need a tiebreaker.

peterh 11:53 am 25 Aug 08

[quote comment="129042"][quote comment="128811"]And finally, Stanhope lives on the Northside and he's a drongo.[/quote]

Pratt lives on the southside. I think we need a tiebreaker.[/quote]

wayne berry is on the northside....

Gungahlin Al 12:03 pm 25 Aug 08

Northside has more people (Mael notwithstanding) who know that "your" and "you're" mean two completely different things... :P

dorkus mallorkus 12:16 pm 25 Aug 08

peterh 12:18 pm 25 Aug 08

[quote comment="129050"][quote comment="129017"]I remember that the takeaway was a short walk from Charny high. for more interesting fun, we'd go to the skate bowl on top of the hill, or down past the primary school on our bikes. living near the top shop was fun too.[/quote]

My dad still uses any possible opportunity to tell us about the guy who used to run that top shop who offloaded all his wine for next to nothing because it was "old stock".[/quote]

you mean warren?

peterh 12:19 pm 25 Aug 08

or michael?

Skidbladnir 12:20 pm 25 Aug 08

Gungahlin Al, can you provide the data you're basing that "more people" comment on. :P

Al also sounds like he also spends his days proofreading and consulting Commonwealth Style...

Southside has its fair share of those too, but we Southsiders know that the neighbour with six Toranas and two kids probably doesn't care much for talk about the Commonwealth Style version of proofreading when he invites neighbours around for a bbq.

dorkus mallorkus 12:24 pm 25 Aug 08

[quote comment="129053you mean warren?[/quote]

Yep, the very man.

dorkus mallorkus 12:26 pm 25 Aug 08

Warren at the top shop at Charnwood, that is....

G-Fresh 12:33 pm 25 Aug 08

Kaleen Village. Kaleen Village.

Kippax Fair!

It's all waiting there at Kippax Fair!

Gungahlin Al 12:43 pm 25 Aug 08

"Gungahlin Al, can you provide the data you’re basing that “more people” comment on. :P

Skid: that would be "can you provide the data *on which* you’re basing that “more people” comment."

And no I can't (he says deliberately starting a sentence with And) - was just fishing - got a good nibble too... :)

And yes I do at present. Can't be too careful with a $3.9 billion tender...

peterh 12:48 pm 25 Aug 08

[quote comment="129066"]

And yes I do at present. Can't be too careful with a $3.9 billion tender...[/quote]

prior to peter gershon's report?

that's a bit brave, isn't it?

Clown Killer 1:39 pm 25 Aug 08

For what it's worth, I love living in the south because of:

- Sunsets over the mountains just by looking out my windows.

- Mt Taylor Nature Reserve outside my back door.

- Only 15 minutes drive to my office in Kingston.

- Rama's in Pearce.

- Noble Palace in Phillip.

- Mt Stromlo Mountain Bike park.

- Manuka Pool.

- Wanniassa Supa Barn.

- Acres of playing fields at Mawson and Kambah.

dorkus mallorkus 2:34 pm 25 Aug 08

[quote comment="129089"]- The people who work at Kambah Woolworths who providie my kids with a fantastic example of what can happen if you make the wrong choices in life.[/quote]

I'd second this if my own kids weren't too busy throwing themselves under other people's trolleys to take note of the lesson.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.