Pay parking opens up in the Parliamentary Triangle

johnboy 15 May 2013 76

map

It’s been talked about for years, and announced in last night’s budget. Pay parking in the parliamentary triangle is coming.

This will mean the more important departments lose the perk of free parking, but at least some rationalism will come into the parking which will mean visitors can get a spot (even if they have to pay for it).

The National Capital Authority has opened a discussion on the balance of short and long stay parking:

The National Capital Authority invites public comment on the allocation of car parks for long stay and short stay. Four discussion boards, which have been broken down by area, are available for comments.

The aim of this consultation is to determine the optimal mix of short stay and long stay spaces within the overall pay parking arrangements.

One way or another, the pay parking kicks off from 1 July 2014.

76 Responses to Pay parking opens up in the Parliamentary Triangle
JC 6:03 pm 16 May 13

screaming banshee said :

JC said :

That said paid parking is stupid in this area. As for those that want equity, how about we now start charging paid parking in Gungahlin, Kippax, Erindale, Coolaman Court, Fyshwick, Mitchell etc. That way every worker in the town is treated equally!

Most Fyshwick businesses own/lease their own parking, so the businesses are covering the cost of off-street parking and providing it for their customers at no charge.

Parking has been ridiculous in the triangle for far too long. How are visitors who drive supposed to visit the national attractions if every Tom dick and Sally fills the car parks at 8am? I wish we didn’t have to wait until next year.

I was speaking tongue in cheek in case you didn’t realise. Maybe what I should have said is all schools should have paid parking too, for equity reasons you know.

JC 6:02 pm 16 May 13

screaming banshee said :

JC said :

Looks like you have fallen hook line and sinker into that old chestnut. Finding parking to visit the attractions is NOT the issue and plenty can be had for our fine visitors.

Finding all day parking for all the workers IS due to the fact they have built new buildings on what were once car parks reducing space for existing workers and brining in more workers to compete for less space.

JC 5:58 pm 16 May 13

pink little birdie said :

apparently even if departments have limited free parking they are all now looking to make it pay parking to save jobs… so they don’t have to pay fbt on it

Actually as there is already a paid carpark in Barton all the departments around are already liable for FBT on their freely provided carparks. So this really changes nothing in that regard.

screaming banshee 5:35 pm 16 May 13

JC said :

Martlark 4:41 pm 16 May 13

ABS in Belconnen has just announced that their staff car park will become paid parking. Partially to escape paying FBT. It’s one of the last departments in Belconnen to offer it.

Pitchka 3:37 pm 16 May 13

The prepaid parking tags are very easy to duplicate, usualy in 3 month intervals so as to not arouse suspicion..

Only suckers pay for parking.

pink little birdie 3:20 pm 16 May 13

watto23 2:53 pm 16 May 13

JC said :

MMR said :

Defence pays for parking costs for military and APS staff who work at Fairbairn and BP – so those staff unfortunate enough to work at Russell will be effectively taking a pay cut compared to their peers.

The reverse could be true that this will be the end of that ‘perk’ so all will be equal.

I’m thinking this will end, when pay parking is in Russell. It was only done so people would go work in those buildings and not feel like they are worse off than other members of Defence in Russell. So now the airport will probably hike the fees to $11 a day too 😉

steveu 11:28 am 16 May 13

HiddenDragon said :

The true answer to that question, and this revenue grab by the Feds, both serve to remind us that self- government for the ACT was more about money than it was about representative democracy.

You are right. And after 20 + years I would like to see if it has actually saved them any money at all.

Deref 9:04 am 16 May 13

Pork Hunt said :

Can someone in the know please explain why you still have the NCA? Why doesn’t all of the ACT come under the ACT Gov jurisdiction?

Because if the ACT gubmint owned it it’d be full of blocks of flats.

dpm 8:20 am 16 May 13

Valleyboy said :

This has helped to firm up my retirement plans. I’ve been working at Russell for many years, and I was thinking of retiring sometime around the middle of next year, at a logical time when I’d seen swansong projects through for things that I’m the local knowledge silo for and that my workmates haven’t wanted to touch.

Now I know I’ll be going by June 30 next year, projects finished or not. On my marginal tax rate, pay parking would be the equivalent of a gross pay cut of nearly $80 a week. For what — for the privilege of coming to work, in a location that is a public transport backwater, not a hub; where there are no retail or other amenities; and where public servants aren’t competing for parking with anybody else (eg, competing for parking with tourists at a tourist attraction).

For the huge increase in commuting time that it would take to travel using buses from my home in the arse-end of Tuggeranong, I probably would’ve been no worse off for travelling times had I stayed in my home city instead of relocating to Canberra.

F**k all that. I feel fortunate that it will be convenient for me to walk away just before the revenue-raising rip-off commences. I could imagine that transfers to Campbell Park might become sought after by Defence personnel at Russell.

On the positive side for other public servants in Canberra, apparently this move is going to help Joe find his 12,000 job cuts, with people actually willing to quit/retire over having to pay for parking? No wonder the rest of Aus thinks Canberra is full of precious public servants…. I hope no interstate people are reading this thread! Hahaha!

JC 7:26 am 16 May 13

I am not too sure how buses in the triangle can be improved really. For me the killer is not buses in the triangle (this was fixed a few timetables ago) but the time the bus takes to get to the triangle even on the express buses. Once in the triangle you have the 200 serving Barton every 15 minutes, for those down in Parkes there is of course a bus every 5 minutes or so along Commonwealth Ave and the 200 on Kings Ave and of course there are a heap of other buses too including the peak hour expresses. Yes these do require a little walk for some, but not that far!

When I do get the bus it is usually when the wife drives to Civic and I get it from there and they are far from over crowded.

JC 7:15 am 16 May 13

MMR said :

Jethro 6:13 am 16 May 13

As a commuter cyclist I estimate my weekly travel costs will remain somewhere close to zero.

HiddenDragon 11:19 pm 15 May 13

Pork Hunt said :

thatsnotme 11:07 pm 15 May 13

So as someone who’s worked in the City for the past 12 years, paying at least $12 a day when I do drive (and I try to keep that to a minimum), I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for everyone who’s been enjoying free parking. I’ve probably spent $20k on parking that you’ve been able to spend up until now, so forgive me if I’m viewing this as a sensible move.

On the other hand, paid parking in the triangle will put more pressure on the bus service – and I’m sure none of the money the Commonwealth raises from paid parking will find its way back to ACTION.

I’m also sure that once the free parking on the other side of the lake has gone, that those people who work in the city, but park in the triangle, will be looking for other free parking in other areas close to the city. I’ve been amazed at the extent that some of my work colleagues will go to in avoiding parking fees – from walking into the city from the museum, to buying a scooter to get them from free parking. This includes people on $130/hr contracts, who’ll spend 10 or 20 minutes avoiding paid parking, and actually lose more in wages than what a days parking would have cost.

When it comes to paying for parking, people can be batshit insane. Good luck to anyone living north of the lake – your streets may be about to get a whole lot busier.

nothappyjan 11:07 pm 15 May 13

While those who currently pay for parking in Civic have a nice big smug smile after hearing this announcement, do realise this simply means PS drivers will now park in all the cheaper ACT fringe parking spaces, saving themselves a heap of money, and forcing many of those who currently pay less in to the more expensive PS parking up the road. At least there will be some payback for those who currently find it difficult to park in the triangle.

Or the ACT will just match the increase in price and we’ll all continue to suffer with crappy Action buses as the only other viable alternative for many, at a slightly lower monetary expense, but at a much higher cost in time and practicality.

They should just make Action buses free. Even though the bus service will continue to be crap at least we wont be paying extra for it, we pretty much subsidise most of it anyway. Just make it free and have Canberra been seen as truly progressive, rather than just another money hungry city out to gouge all and sundry.

It will be fun to watch as all these departments in the triangle try to cope with the extra demand for bicycle & motorbike parking spots, change rooms etc. And the demand for more pool cars now that taking your own car becomes more of burden than booking 3 months in advance for the pool car.

Let the games begin….

chewy14 10:07 pm 15 May 13

Valleyboy said :

Honestly, how is this area a public transport backwater? Don’t buses go along commonwealth ave every 10-15 mins?
What’s wrong with hopping on one and then walking for five minutes?

Although a loop bus would be a great idea.

sepi 10:06 pm 15 May 13

It is a great idea. People working at Russell might actually be able to get a park now. And visitors to the gallery.

But the ACT should get the money – what reason is there for the NCA to rake it in. they are the ones who keep creating this ridiculous parking situation – eg turning the gravel carpark behind the NLA into lawn to be more photogenic, meaning that less people can actually go there.

This is like a big tax on Canberra if the fed gov get the money.

bigred 10:06 pm 15 May 13

So the cardigan wearers in the Centrals are now going to be treated the same as workers in the rest of town. So what, it was inevitable really. Might provide the impetus to extend the coming light rail line down that way. Toot toot!

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.