Lifestyle

One great brand after the next

Pet mince

Watson 9 May 2012 48

Does anyone know of a butcher in North Canberra selling good quality pet mince?

I tried the Dickson butcher, but for some reason neither my dog nor my cat would touch their pet mince, and they are not particularly fussy.

48 Responses to Pet mince
shauno shauno 12:17 am 13 May 12

Speaking of dogs my bull dog cross and a mate where up in the brindies walking mainly looking at little streams. And I was across a big log that had fallen over the valley and I was standing on it looking down at the big ferns and saw a large a large copper head snake going under a big fern. And a few sec later my dog went under the fern. We raced down to the car and drove to Canberra with Bill in the back seat and as I got to the vet he was foaming at the mouth and paralysed in the back feet. I had to carry him in the vet and he was heavy. I laid him down on the floor and he saw a cat there and raced after it dragging his back legs haha it was funny to watch he didnt care about his snake bite. Vet gave him anti venom cost me a heap to lol but he lived. He was actually bitten about 3 different times he seemed to have a good resistance to it.

farnarkler farnarkler 8:07 pm 12 May 12

You should give them some chicken wings too. The bones are great for keeping their teeth nice and clean.

shauno shauno 2:32 pm 12 May 12

jesse said :

shauno said :

jesse said :

I like what MsCheeky said. We feed our 2 yr old pup on Proplan mixed with a little cooked lean mince. I buy lean mince, cook it in water, fridge overnight to set (and then get rid of) the fat – amazed at the fat, even on lean mince – and freeze small containers. His breed has a tendency to be overweight, but he also gets fruit, veg, egg yolks and chicken necks as a treat. He’s not fat, has great teeth. A happy pup:-)

Give him bones to[/quo

You are right! Forgot to mention that he has a shank twice a month and he LOVES it. We have had 8 of this breed over the years and each has succumbed to mitral heart disease. Hence the avoidance of fat.

If you get Kangaroo mince its really lean as long as they dont add some fat to it. I dont like it much myself as i like a bit of fat in the meat for flavour.

David M David M 1:51 pm 12 May 12

CB43DW said :

As an aside, Andy’s is great for other meat as well and has a great selection of smoked meats that he smokes on site.

Couldn’t go past this comment, most smokers use tobacco or other herbal materials! Will have to visit him, to check out the produce, it can be a challenge to get good smoked meat products.
Seriously, I’ve read all this advice here and found it very useful. We started feeding some of that packaged mince from the supermarket, the nice red stuff, they must put colouring in it because our dogs started passing red loose motions so we cut that out quick smart.

jesse jesse 1:18 pm 12 May 12

shauno said :

jesse said :

Give him bones to[/quo

shauno shauno 12:25 pm 12 May 12

jesse said :

Give him bones to

jesse jesse 12:10 pm 12 May 12

astrojax astrojax 6:44 am 12 May 12

and yes, ms cheeky, my girl gets mainly dried food, high in protein, etc… with the raw meat an extra source of minerals (hearts are excellent!) and teeth health (wings). she also gets a marrow bone to gnaw on every so often, and a whole egg she enjoys cracking, or a can of sardines with brekky two or three times a week… chivalry is not dead; it just got gender non-specific 🙂

EvanJames EvanJames 11:46 pm 11 May 12

I use dog biscuits because they really are formulated to have all the various substances dogs need… currently using the stuff with that Bondi Vet chappie on it, but might try Supercoat after what MsCheeky had to say. I also make up wet stuff from chicken legs… simmer them with the ends snipped off. I get the juice to freeze as stock, dog gets the meat and the bone ends, compost gets the bones. I simmer the meat/bone ends with lentils, zucchini, celery, carrot, spuds, beans, peas, and at the end mix in some cooked rice and bacon skin (from smoking my own bacon) and freeze it in baggies, and mix in a few spoonfuls into the dog biscuits.

The resulting stock is brilliant, it turns to jelly in the fridge. Dog loves the food and especially the bone-ends. And the dog biscuits ensure he’s getting all the correct things. Absence of horrible dog farts is good too.

shauno shauno 9:46 pm 11 May 12

I can vouch for Kangaroo meat I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback and it was fed on roo meat for the first 12 months and it was a great dog really large and healthy and massive stamina.

imarty imarty 9:25 pm 11 May 12

What MsCheeky said.
We feed our two 18 month olds on supercoat (as recommended by our vet) with some leftover dinner scraps (rice/veges/potato) or raw egg mixed in occasionally and they are in better than excellent condition.
A chicken wing or neck a few times a week as a treat in the morning and you can’t go wrong IMO.

Watson Watson 8:08 pm 11 May 12

MsCheeky said :

I’m going to disagree with some of the posters, particularly those who say that pet food is rubbish. There’s pet food and there’s pet food. A wise old vet told me that tinned pet food is an expensive way to buy water, and it is indeed bulked up and rubbish. It’s made to appeal to the human eye, that is, to make it look like the dog is getting a decent sized meal. In fact, most of it comes out the other end looking pretty much how it went in. And anyone who’s fed their dog on tinned food knows the resulting fart cloud.

But the high end dried food tend to be quality products. The wise old vet, and a wise old dog breeder, both had the view that you look at the contents, and where protein (as opposed to cereal) is the first on the list, you’re headed in the right direction. The wise old dog breeder put me on to Supercoat, which he said was as good as the madly expensive ones, but sold in supermarkets.

I appreciate people who wish to make their own dog food, but I think it would be pretty difficult to get a properly balanced diet. I agree with an earlier poster that meat is definitely not sufficient on its own. A dog in the wild eats a wide variety of plant food in between eating meat.

All of that said, my bluey survived just short of 16 years on mostly dried food (Supercoat), usually but not always mixed with wet stuff, such as a bit of water sloshed around a frypan where meat had been cooked, some table scraps, raw chicken, beef bones, some vegetables, a variety of fruit – particularly after a run, when she was happy to eat apple, watermelon, orange, mango, banana, fallen plums – and she was cow-like in her constant grazing on grass. And yes, she also got the odd treat, a sliver of chocolate, a bit of a biscuit etc – who can resist their face ALL the time. She was never overweight and active until the very end.

Oh I agree on not just feeding meat. Which is why I do use a ready-made supplement to add to my dog’s meat. Has all the vitamins and minerals and stuff in it.

And I do still feed dry food on the side too. They try to avoid it because they know dinner is going to be way yummier though. But it’s there if they’re really hungry.

Thanks for the heads-up on Supercoat.

Overheard Overheard 7:55 pm 11 May 12

An ex feeds her cats and dog on kangaroo meat from the stock foods place in Phillip. If I had the energy, I’d look it up but stock food or pet food and something Close in Phillip will get you there. I realise this is not North but it’s good stuff, reasonably priced and one of the cats tries to rip the sliding door apart every morning in the anticipation……. ok, maybe that last bit is not so much of a selling point!

MsCheeky MsCheeky 4:28 pm 11 May 12

Watson Watson 4:00 pm 11 May 12

TP 3000 said :

I just buy regular mince from the Meatway’s Butcher (Kambah) for our dog. I just cook it up with a cup or two of peas & an egg every week. It keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days without going off. However the mince from Woolworths is rubbish & when my butcher closed for a month earlier in the year, this was the only month my dog became ill each night.

The advantages with using normal mince is that you can cook up some spaghetti bolognase & my dog thinks I’m cooking his dinner. Of course he gets me back by being a cheeky old bugger.

But I do have to ask young Watson, is there any spefic reason behind the pet mince for your dog & cats? I feed my dog mince as he is around 13-14 years old & his digestive system can’t handle anything else.

Because commercial pet food is basically junk food for dog. Has lots of “fillers” with little or no nutritional value. Even the most expensive brands – passionately plugged by vets – are really just very well marketed rubbish.

Human grade mince would be too lean for a young dog like mine. They need fat, bones and some organs too. Hence my search for pet mince. And because it is basically a waste product, it can be as cheap as your average tin food, but much healthier so a good way to try and avoid vet bills down the track.

I must say, my old dog loved Chum and ignorance was bliss. But in the meantime I’ve come to enjoy feeding my new dog “real food” instead of overprocessed slop.

TP 3000 TP 3000 2:00 am 11 May 12

Watson Watson 11:51 pm 10 May 12

Diggety said :

Feed it cat.

Do I feed the cats dog, then?

Diggety Diggety 8:45 pm 10 May 12

Feed it cat.

POK POK 8:16 pm 10 May 12

Costco sell these packs of chicken drumsticks or chicken wings for $3kg. If you do go with getting fresh meat, make sure to give them some organs every now and then for minerals.

Watson Watson 12:38 pm 10 May 12

Madam Cholet said :

Not being presumptuous, but if you are feeding your dogs fresh meat, make sure that they are also getting veggies and/or dried food – meat is not enough on it’s own and can result in deficiencies. Avoid table scraps as well as these can also cause nutritional and weight problems.

I add Phuds supplement to my dog’s dinner. There’s also Vet’s All Natural. Contains all the minerals, vitamins and what not that they need.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.