The first person charged over the shooting death of Phillip man Glenn Walewicz has been refused bail in Canberra’s court, which also heard more arrests are coming.
The 48-year-old was shot on the doorstep of his Mansfield Place townhouse on 10 June 2021, shortly after one or more people knocked on his door.
Newly tendered court documents say he was at home with his girlfriend that night before he was shot. She called paramedics for help at about 11:40 pm. He was taken to Canberra Hospital with a gunshot wound but was pronounced dead soon afterwards.
On Thursday (2 June), police spoke to 19-year-old Dunlop man Reatile Ncube. He allegedly admitted he was driving his mother’s Proton Suprema on 10 June 2021, a car police believe went through a red light at the intersection of Ainsworth Street and Hindmarsh Drive shortly after the shooting.
Police captured a phone conversation between Mr Ncube and another man on Friday (3 June), in which he said he had to go to the “cop shop”. He allegedly said, “I’ll just make up some s-t saying I was picking up a mate or maybe I will just say I don’t remember”.
When he spoke to police later that day, he admitted he was driving his mother’s Suprema on the night of the shooting and had been driving around Phillip, although he couldn’t remember stopping anywhere.
He also said he didn’t know anything about the murder and was not involved.
But later, police intercepted another call between him and the man, in which Mr Ncube allegedly said police knew his car was parked outside the place where the murder happened.
“But f-k bro, f-k. I gotta get rid of something – know what I’m saying,” Mr Ncube allegedly said.
The documents state the man allegedly said, “you do know people know. You do know people know [name known to police] shot that guy”.
Mr Ncube and the man allegedly discussed who knew about the shooting and Mr Ncube allegedly said he had to get rid of “two bells”.
“You have me confused about bells now. Just spit it out. We are f-ked anyway if they are listening to your phone you dumb c-t,” the man allegedly replied.
“The shotties. Two 12 gauges,” Mr Ncube allegedly replied.
The man also allegedly told him he could be an accessory to murder if he helped someone get away and lied to police, but Mr Ncube allegedly disagreed and said, “no one is going to know”.
Police raided his home later that afternoon and allegedly found two live 12-gauge shotgun shells in the bedside table in his bedroom.
He was charged with being an accessory (after the fact) to murder when he appeared in the ACT Magistrates Court on Saturday (4 June), with his charge alleging that on 10 June 2021, he assisted another person commit murder knowing the other person would escape apprehension.
He applied for bail, with his lawyer arguing he had “no criminal history to speak of”, was “very young”, had a supportive family, including his mother and brother who were in court, and there had been a delay between the alleged offence and when he was charged.
Due to the serious nature of the charge, Mr Ncube had to prove special or exceptional circumstances existed for him to apply for bail, but the prosecutor argued nothing his lawyer had raised was special or exceptional.
She said Mr Ncube was the first suspect in the matter to be brought before the court and “further arrests are expected to be made very shortly”.
Magistrate James Stewart agreed no special or exceptional circumstances had been identified and refused bail, remanding him in custody for the matter to be heard next on 20 June.
Mr Ncube did not enter a plea.