The city is marking the end of its annual musical downtime with a whole host of show announcements and reopenings. With brand new gig series and Canberra’s favourite venues opening up their doors for the first time post-holidays, there’s plenty to look forward to music-wise in the coming weeks.
sideway this week announced their plan to host live music each and every Thursday in 2021. To celebrate, the bar is kitting out its performance space with a brand new portable stage and sound equipment. It all kicks off this week with Sunday Sojourn, Swansink and Alec Randles.
Downer’s Gang Gang Cafe is also getting in on the action, announcing a whole series of shows throughout January and February. Homegrown Sounds already has a sold-out show on its hands, with Lucy Sugerman, Sophie Edwards and Eden Plenty taking over the intimate venue on Tuesday evening. Super Rats will be playing there on Saturday night and tickets are still available.
Elsewhere, jazz and blues make their long-awaited return to Hippo on Wednesday night and The Basement will once again take up its mantle as Canberra’s home of covers gigs and rock and roll with the 10th instalment of their 80s Tribute Night on Thursday.
- Faraway Rhythms: Lunchbox Acoustic @ City Walk – 12:00 pm
- Live Jazz @ No Vacancy Cocktail Lounge – 5:30 pm
- Live Jazz @ Molly – 6:00 pm
- Karaoke Night @ 88mph – 8:00 pm
- Killwater @ Hippo Co – 8:00 pm.
- Llewellyn Osborne Group @ National Press Club – 6:00 pm
- Renae Stone @ Magoo’s Cafe & Bar – 6:00 pm
- sideway Band Night: Sunday Sojourn, Swansink, Alec Randles @ sideway – 7:30 pm
- Molly House Band @ Molly – 9:00 pm.
- The Faumuis: Lunchbox Acoustic @ Garema Place – 12:00 pm
- Bill Olsen @ Magoo’s Cafe & Bar – 6:00 pm
- Wayne Kelly @ National Press Club – 6:00 pm
- Eshan Dean @ PJ O’Reilly’s – 8:00 pm
- FEEL ft Skin On Skin @ Fiction – 9:00 pm.
- Canberra House Social @ City Walk – 12:00 pm
- Kirrah Amosa: Music on the Greens @ Kambri at ANU – 12:00 pm
- Sunset Stranger, Helena Plazza @ Old Canberra Inn – 2:00 pm
- Special K @ Magoo’s Cafe & Bar – 6:00 pm
- 80s Tribute Night #10 @ The Basement – 7:00 pm
- Super Rats @ Gang Gang Cafe – 7:00 pm
- Drinking Lizards Rock Rose Cottage @ Rose Cottage – 8:00 pm
- Rhythm & Girl @ PJ O’Reilly’s – 8:00 pm.
- Kim Yang: Music on the Greens @ Kambri at ANU – 12:00 pm
- Retro Sundays @ Siren Bar – 1:00 pm
- Rhythm Capital @ Jamison Southern Cross Club– 1:00 pm
- Matt Dent @ Magoo’s Cafe & Bar – 2:00 pm
- Cassanovid @ Chisolm Family Tavern – 2:00 pm
- Summer Session: Mojo Street @ Canberra Irish Club – 4:00 pm
- Monica Moore @ Caribou Kingston – 4:00 pm
- Cathy Diver @ Old Canberra Inn – 4:00 pm
- Lazy Summer Sundays: Beats, Beers & Yoga 3 @ Haig Park – 4:00 pm
- Rap FC Presents GAMETIME @ sideway – 5:00 pm.
- Lunchulele @ Smith’s Alternative – 12:30 pm
- Sounds From The Suburbs: Lucy Sugerman, Sophie Edwards, Eden Plenty @ Gang Gang Cafe – 6:00 pm.