RiotGEAR, Come get your RiotGEAR!

johnboy 27 November 2008 95

[First filed: November 26, 2008 @ 14:38]

Just in time for chrimbo we’re finally lifting the lid on the Cafepress RiotACT online merch stand. They make it to order, we get a cut, you get luvverly rioty stuff delivered to your door.

We’ll be changing the specials over on a regular basis to incorporate all your witty ideas and letting you know when it happens.

And because it’s mostly in white you’ll need lots or risk looking grubby.

Do you really want to be the last one on your block sporting ironic RiotACT branding?

No, I didn’t think so.

What’s Your opinion?

95 Responses to
RiotGEAR, Come get your RiotGEAR!
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
ant 11:26 am 27 Nov 08

I couldn’t find any particularly witty ones. I’ll wait for the next phase.

Thumper 11:23 am 27 Nov 08

# 43 P1 – I’ve asked them to produce riot helmets and riot sheilds with no luck so far 🙂

Jazz, I’ll make you a shield this weekend if I get the time 😉

p1 11:22 am 27 Nov 08

I have organised this kind of thing on a small local scale, resulted in it being delivered late, and with spelling errors…

Like everything, there is no way you can be 100% sure that someone you pay won’t f%#kup their job.

Granny 11:21 am 27 Nov 08

Skidbladnir said :

But making -us- _pay_ for merchaniding to promote -your- product? I’m appalled!

As are your grandchildren …

*tee hee*

Cameron 11:17 am 27 Nov 08

I have actually organised this stuff on a national scale. Pretty easy to avoid things going pear shaped, really.

Skidbladnir 11:16 am 27 Nov 08

While it would be ideal to have massive runs of every product, created in Canberra, handcrafted with love by Jazz and autographed by Jb, and delivered to our door by teams of trained dancing bears…
But for now they’re products with untested demand, no upfront-cost, being created risk-free as needed, and with tested supply chains.
In idealism vs practicality, I can partially understand why CafePress is being used (for now).

But making -us- _pay_ for merchaniding to promote -your- product? I’m appalled!
If it works though, I’m just jealous.

poptop 11:03 am 27 Nov 08

Anyone who has actually organised this sort of stuff knows it has the capacity to go pear shaped ridiculously quickly.

Other than bemoaning the current value of the Australian Dollar, Cafe-press is a sensible choice. The really great thing is I can get my RiotGear Tee and my Eating People is Wrong Tee in the same handy envelope.

RiotGear should make the drinking, cycling and other activities easier to spot and the photos more hilarious.

Cameron 11:02 am 27 Nov 08

I disagree. Well… not really, but just to keep it exciting… 😉

Granny 11:01 am 27 Nov 08

It would be a very boring world indeed if everybody agreed all the time, Justbands.

: )

justbands 10:57 am 27 Nov 08

Thanks for the (sensible, non-insulting) reply Jazz. I still disagree with your reasons to send the work offshore, but if we all agreed all the time this would be a pretty boring site.

Granny 10:43 am 27 Nov 08

At the risk of being accused of ingratiating again I still feel I have to say that I think you’ve done a great job, Jazz.

At a meeting a couple of nights ago, one lady and her team had worked hard for weeks putting together a groundbreaking policy on an important issue. I knew how hard they had been working because I had seen all the emails.

It’s amazing how when it was presented to the meeting, people could pick apart in seconds what had taken months to produce. Pick a word here where you would prefer a different synonym. Disagree with all sorts of small points, when it was made clear that this was a first version that could and would be refined in future.

But when they were offered a place on the working party, did they accept?

I just like to acknowledge people’s effort when they have been working hard at getting something off the ground.

Does having one supplier mean you can never change suppliers when an equivalent local service is found?
Does using a drop ship method to start with mean you can’t use another method as the organisation grows and becomes better resourced?

My husband would kill for this kind of opportunity.

In the end, I am just glad I finally will be getting my Riot T-shirt. I love my Riot pin, but this will be so much more obvious. My only regret is that I can’t afford to order the one listing the users and a mug just yet.

Jazz 10:25 am 27 Nov 08

#47 Justbands – Its a trade off. Having previously run a merchandised based business with a far more limited product range than this introduces a number of issues that I dont particularly want to manage again. If it were a core part of RiotACT’s business then i might think differently. Certainly if there were an Australian company with a similar service model to cafepress i would have used them as a preference. However there isnt one that i’ve come across in 6 months of research (happy to hear suggestions) since we first started to think about RiotGear.

# 48 Cameron, Thats possibly true. But given that a quick poll on T shirt slogans produced 200 suggestions in 2 days multiplied by (lets assume) 4 products produces an awful lot of combinations that people might be interested in. Even this thread so far indicates that readers want some more options than the few we put together to get the shop up and running. One of the biggest advantages of the cafepress model is that we can offer something for everyone without having hundreds of boxes filling the garage. Again, if there were a local company that offered us something remotely similar I would use them first.

# 30 Lumnock. I made them and i will acknowledge that graphic design is not a strength of mine. There are more in the works.

Cameron 10:00 am 27 Nov 08

Cash flowing a range of merch without any clue as to the potential demand for those items can be problematic, and certainly not impossible. I tend to agree with justbands and his view that RA should be using a Canberra based business.

The easiest way around the demand issue is to get mock ups made and take orders (and payment too I guess). Once you have enough orders, get the merch made.

Cafepress (in addition to the demand based production) also allow you to have a huge range – I would think that somewhat unnecessary. A few shirt variations, a hat etc… would probably suffice for us lot.

justbands 9:42 am 27 Nov 08

> So you’ve got no reply but you’re going to have a sulk anyway?

JB, you’re very quick to name & shame other Canberra based business that do not support other locals. I think it’s a fair comment to point out that’s exactly what you’ve done. I did reply to your points, shall I spell it out for you again perhaps:

– Production linked to demand (or are you offering to float the cost of the run and store the merch) – A non issue, we’re not talking about thousands & thousands of dollars here. As I pointed out, if a small independant band can afford this outlay then I see no reason why your business cannot.

– Billing and shipping – You already do billing for advertising. Shipping is a doddle.

– Huge range of merchandise options at no cost to us allowing us to research what the market actually wants – You’re quite happy to research just about everything else about your readership, not a big stretch to spend a little time researching this.

Like you said, it’s a free country.

johnboy 9:34 am 27 Nov 08

justbands said :

Oh common johnboy…the fact is that you could easily have got a range of merch made locally with minimal outlay. If Little Smoke could pay for & store the merch, RiotACT could manage to pay for & store the merch. Billing you already do (you sell ad space), shipping is hardly rocket science, storage is a couple of boxes in the back of your garage & you could have easily researched what the market wanted prior to getting anything made.

Your choice I guess, but I still claim it’s pretty poor form for a specific Canberra website. My own little protest will be not to purchase any.

So you’ve got no reply but you’re going to have a sulk anyway?

It’s a free country I guess, sulk away.

tylersmayhem 9:25 am 27 Nov 08

When are the Hammer Pants coming out JB? I’m keen to relive my “Firehouse” days 😛

justbands 9:22 am 27 Nov 08

p1 9:22 am 27 Nov 08

I was kinda hoping for something like this with the riotact logo…

johnboy 9:14 am 27 Nov 08

There are no local options offering this service.

Find me just one that comes anywhere close?

That includes:
– Billing and shipping

Come back when you’ve got it?

Mr Evil 9:13 am 27 Nov 08

Come on guys, what is wrong with some of you? 🙂

I’m no computer genius, but I managed to work out how to make the images bigger so that I could read what was on the shirts, and also noticed that there are other colour choices in some of the items that aren’t just white.

What’s wrong with white anyway – isn’t it the new black?

I’ll ask Elkie, surely she’ll know! 🙂

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.