Are you considering filing for bankruptcy? Feeling overwhelmed from being constantly pursued by debt collectors? Or do you simply have too much debt and want to learn about your legal options?
If any of the above ring true for you, you may benefit from engaging a bankruptcy lawyer. A bankruptcy lawyer works with individuals and businesses to reduce or eliminate debt through court proceedings, or to proceed forward with bankruptcy. They can also help protect your assets from debt collectors, and find smart ways to free you from financial responsibilities.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when hiring a bankruptcy lawyer, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great bankruptcy lawyer?
You might be reluctant to hire a bankruptcy lawyer if you’re already in financial trouble. But the reality is that a skilled bankruptcy lawyer can actually save you money by finding the most cost-effective ways to solve your financial problems.
If you’re unsure what to look for when researching bankruptcy lawyers in Canberra, we recommend starting with the following traits:
- Relevant knowledge and experience. Specialist bankruptcy lawyers are typically better equipped to help with financial issues than lawyers who specialise in other areas of law. However, it’s important that your chosen lawyer is also well-versed in a broad range of legal matters so they can help you claim what’s yours, especially if your issue extends beyond finances.
- Honesty and transparency. Look for a firm that gives you practical, realistic, and actionable advice. While your lawyer may occasionally need to be the bearer of bad news, he or she shouldn’t gloss over the unpleasant parts or promise a result that just isn’t feasible.
- Customer service. Since your lawyer works for you, they should always act with your best interests at heart. The best bankruptcy lawyers demonstrate their unwavering dedication to customer satisfaction – from being proactive about communication to keeping you updated about cost estimates.
- Compassion. The best bankruptcy lawyers are compassionate and understand the emotional toll that any type of demanding legal situation can take.
- Fast-acting. When it comes to bankruptcy and insolvency, acting quickly is almost always the ideal course of action. If this is the case for you, or you just want to get the issue resolved in a timely manner, look for a bankruptcy lawyer who is proactive and responsive.
The best bankruptcy lawyers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Located in the heart of Canberra, Bradley Allen Love Lawyers (abbreviated to BAL Lawyers) boasts a strong reputation and impressive track record for achieving positive client outcomes in all aspects of commercial law – including bankruptcy issues.
Its commercial law team strives to serve clients with efficiency and integrity, and is committed to always meeting the highest standards of performance. The team also leverages the expertise of BAL Lawyers’ real estate, planning and employment law experts to ensure that you receive personalised advice that considers every relevant aspect of your financial situation.
Whether you’re at risk of bankruptcy, already bankrupt, or a creditor who wants to recover debt from an insolvent debtor, Meyer Vandenberg Lawyers’ bankruptcy law experts are ready to help. With a thorough knowledge of each party’s powers, duties and entitlements, its team is committed to protecting your interests. They have strong connections with local bankruptcy trustees, which which enables candid and productive discussions to resolve issues and achieve optimal outcomes for all parties.
Meyer Vandenberg is Canberra’s largest independent law firm. When it comes to bankruptcy issues, you can expect to receive frank and fearless advice about the strength of your legal position, the likely outcome of any dispute, and full disclosure of all legal costs along the way. The team’s stellar qualifications speak for themselves – four of Meyer Vandenberg’s expert lawyers have recently been recognised amongst the best in the country, named in The Best Lawyers in Australia 2021 List. Rest assured that not only are you in extremely capable and professional hands at Meyer Vandenberg, but that you are also receiving the best service in the country.
As Julian Bahamon writes in their Google review, “Great company. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a solicitor in Canberra.”
With an extensive knowledge of the courts and legal systems, as well as an understanding of the stresses and anxieties that go along with financial issues like bankruptcy, the team at Kamy Saeedi Lawyers is both hardworking and compassionate. Recognising that there is no one-size-fits-all legal solution, its lawyers, solicitors, and support staff are committed to the success of each and every client.
Kamy Saeedi Lawyers is dedicated to the Canberra community and prides itself on being accessible to everyone. It offers honest, upfront representation, high-quality legal advice, and a comprehensive emergency service. And if you’re worried about the ongoing costs of working with a lawyer when you’re already in financial difficulty, you can breathe easier knowing that Kamy Saeedi Lawyers continually provides updated and detailed cost estimates as your matter progresses.
Emergency After Hours Contact: 1800 531 467
Baker Deane & Nutt (also known as BDN Lawyers) is a full service law firm that has helped Canberrans resolve issues like bankruptcy for more than 150 years. With so much experience, you can trust its team to help you make informed decisions about your debt.
Whether you need advice, guidance, or representation, BDN Lawyers delivers tailor-made legal services that will help you secure the best possible outcome. Committed to demystifying complicated legal situations, BDN can help you navigate your way to financial freedom.
Your experience with bankruptcy lawyers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the bankruptcy lawyers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.