Believe it or not, go-karting is one of the world’s most popular motorsports. If you’ve got a birthday party coming up, or you’re planning a fun day out with friends and family, a day at a go-karting track can be seriously fun.
One of the best things about go-karting is its versatility – the sport is enjoyed by both committed enthusiasts with their own karts and families with young children on the hunt for a thrill.
Here in Canberra, we have a few go-karting tracks. In this article, we’ll share some information on what makes go-karting so much fun, as well as a handy guide to some of Canberra’s best tracks.
What makes a great go-karting track?
Not sure what you’re looking for in a go-karting track? No worries. The following traits should be top priorities:
- A smooth, enjoyable track.No two go-kart tracks are alike but the very best have a few key things in common: a smooth, well-maintained surface, interesting turns that vary in difficulty, enough space for multiple karts to race, and more.
- High quality, fully functioning karts. If you need to hire a go-kart, you want it to be high quality and fully functioning. No slow, sluggish, or dodgy karts allowed.
- Friendly and experienced staff. If you’ve never been go-karting before, look for staff with plenty of experience and a friendly attitude. Go-karting can be dangerous so you should feel confident in the staff’s ability to keep you safe.
- Fairly priced. Go-karting is fun for the whole family. The best places keep prices fair so you come back again and again.
- Conveniently located. Go-karting tracks take up a ton of space so you’re unlikely to find one in the city centre. That being said, you shouldn’t have to drive too far to get your go-karting kick.
The best go-karting tracks in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Perfect the more experienced go-karter, the Canberra Kart Racing Club offers a 750-metre track of non-stop action. The track is open to club members every day from 9 am to 5 pm. It’s a great place to improve your skill and fine-tune your racing style.
As ‘Local Guide’ Maxine Cooper writes in their Google review, “A great Track to attend ! The Operators are always willing to go that extra way to help make your event run smooth.”
With a 320-metre track of super smooth, manicured concrete – all lined with F1-style barriers – and top quality Italian go-karts for hire, Powerkart Raceway is one of the best places in the region to try go-karting. The track has been expertly designed to deliver a fun, safe go karting experience for newbies and seasoned racers alike. Suitable for all drivers over the age of six, the whole family can have fun at the Powerkart Raceway.
On Google, Mark Lucking writes, “Had a ball. First time go karting in many years and i loved it. Great track and electric karts were faster than I thought they would be.”
Go-karting can be an excellent choice for a party venue – if you’re looking for more ideas, check out our articles on the best kids’ birthday party venues and the best function and event venues in Canberra.
Your experience with go-karting in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Share your experience in the comments area below.