Whether you’re after a gift for yourself or something special for a loved one, jewellery can be an excellent choice. From simple necklaces, to sparkling rings and intricate bracelets, there are so many different styles, materials, and adornments to choose from when shopping for jewellery.
Unless you’re already and expert, choosing the right piece of jewellery for your occasion might seem daunting. The price points of different items can be as varied as the items themselves, and it’s always important to go into any transaction with your eyes wide open. So where do you start?
Finding a reliable jeweller who will sell you ethical, high-quality products with transparent costs is crucial to making sure you get exactly what you’re looking for. That’s why we’ve put together this article, with a helpful guide to some of the most highly-rated jewellers in Canberra.
What makes a great jeweller?
Jewellery can be an expensive investment, and you want to be completely confident that your jeweller sells high-quality pieces and has a great reputation. We suggest that you look for the following traits:
- They’re reputable and established. You want to pick a jeweller that has a solid reputation for excellent customer service and high-quality wares. Years in service also means experience and know-how – look for a jeweller who has been around for long enough to know the ins and outs of their profession.
- You can trust them. It’s important that you feel comfortable and can trust your jeweller, not only to answer your questions clearly and help you find exactly what you’re looking for, but to be upfront with you about the cost and source of their jewellery.
- Sustainable and ethical practices. The production of jewellery has long been destructive and exploitative of both people and the environment. However, many jewellery companies are working hard to mitigate this, by sourcing conflict-free jewels, using fait trade materials and being transparent about the source of their products. Look for jewellers who are dedicated to supporting these efforts by selling products made by ethical companies.
- Wide selection and varied services. Look for a jeweller that offers a wide variety of jewellery. Ideally, they’ll have a gemologist on staff to help you find the perfect stone, a bench jeweller on staff to help repair or resize your jewellery and offer custom work.
- Clear policies with fair prices. The policies should be easy to understand, fair, clear and concise. Being surprised with extra costs at the end of your transaction, whether it’s the purchase of a brand-new item or the repair of an old one, is the last thing anyone wants when working with a jeweller.
The best jewellers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Aharoni Jewellery has supplied the residents of Canberra and the surrounds with custom jewellery designs, jewellery repair and re modelling, refashioning, cleaning and maintenance since 1989. Run by a dedicated husband and wife team, they specialise in designing and offering unique pieces that their customers love.
Facebook user Anna Damiano left this review for Aharoni, “Beautiful, unique jewellery. Eytan and Nurit are very friendly and knowledgeable. We had a fantastic experience and highly recommend Aharoni jewellers if you are looking for something extra special that can’t be found anywhere else.“
Harlequin is run by jeweller Matthew Hengge, whose passion for quality jewellery goes back as far as his childhood. He has dedicated himself to producing master cut stones and perfecting jewellery making to create custom pieces for his clients – whether you know exactly what you need or have no idea where to start, Matthew offers complimentary design consultations and promises to help you find the perfect piece.
As happy customer Elizabeth Casling wrote in their Google review, “I’m very happy with the 3 rings Matthew has worked on for me – craftsmanship of the highest quality, beautiful designs. I wouldn’t choose anyone else as my jeweller.”
Established in 2015, KIN has graduated from a pop-up space to a permanent space on Lonsdale Street. Now with over 60 designers and makers across the country making up their collection of casual to formal jewellery and much more, you are sure to find what you’re looking for – and if you don’t, they can make it for you.
See what Facebook user Em Avery had to say in their review for KIN, “Wonderful workshops, fabulous shop, and super talented people running the place! If you want a truly original piece of jewellery, KIN is the place to check out!“
If you’re creative, youthful, vibrant and unique jeweller, Unique Diamonds is the place for you. The staff strives to design each client a piece of jewellery that reflects the clients’ personalities, inspirations or stories. They offer several services including jewellery design, watches, wedding rings, engagement rings and more.
Oliver Tester writes on Google, “Got my partners engagement ring and both of our wedding bands from here. Service is A+ and Mia and Josh really know their stuff! They go above and beyond to make what you are imagining into a reality.”
Harry Rose opened Harry Rose Jewellery in 2008. As well as making hand-made pieces, Harry is able to repurpose old jewellery and turn them into entirely new pieces, so you never have to say goodbye to your precious jewellery. At Harry Rose, it’s all about delivering beautiful, unique, and high-quality items to every customer.
As happy customer Chloe Smith writes in this Google review, “Harry repaired a ring for me and cleaned it up beautifully at the same time. I got my ring back quickly and looking brand new, perhaps even better than it was when I got it.”
Your experience with jewellers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you worked with a fantastic jeweller in Canberra? Did they help you design a gorgeous piece of jewellery that is perfect for your occasion? We want to hear about it. Share your favourite jewellers and your experience in the comments below.