Whether you are working through a particularly difficult period of life or would simply like some emotional support and guidance, a qualified psychologist can make a world of difference.
A psychologist is a university-trained mental health professional with expertise in emotional well-being and human behaviour. The best psychologists listen to your thoughts and feelings and teach you practical coping strategies that can change your life for the better.
Finding a psychologist that you can trust is no easy task. To help you with this process, we’ve read through our users’ feedback, and put together this list of the top three psychologists in the Canberra region.
What Makes a Trusted Psychologists
Psychologists often work with people in vulnerable positions. The best professionals are capable of understanding each client’s unique needs so they can lead them towards recovery. This is something that takes more than just a degree in order to do well.
When looking for a trusted psychologist, we suggest keeping an eye out for the following traits:
- Full qualifications. This should go without saying. Psychologists are medical professionals that must work through years of rigorous university and on-the-job training.
- Experienced. Psychologists who have practiced for many years have seen and heard a lot. This experience gives them a unique insight into the human condition, and may better equip them to help you with your issues.
- Specialist. Some psychologists choose to specialise in certain areas. You may like to work with a professional that specialises in an area relevant to you.
- Compassionate. At the end of the day, you will be sharing personal, sensitive information with your psychologist. You want them to respond with compassion and understanding, never judgement.
- Effective. Even if the psychologist you work with is compassionate and experienced, their diagnosis and treatment must be effective. Otherwise, you are wasting your time and money.
The Top Psychologists in the Canberra Region
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Keith Baker is a Counselling Psychologist will all necessary qualifications and registrations. He offers effective therapy and counselling psychology to help his clients work through mental health challenges, work place issues, and life transitions.
Commenter birder had a fantastic experience working with Keith. “I found psychologist Keith Baker through the APS’s “find a psychiatrist” service,” they wrote. “He was empathetic, caring and professional, and most of all, effective. With his help, I was able to work through my particular issue in about 5 months.”
With more than 45-years of experience, there are few more qualified psychologists in Canberra than Tom Sutton. Hospital trained, the incredibly patient Tom helps his clients work through tough times and trauma using highly effective, evidence-based treatments.
Here is what commenter Red Robin wrote: “Tom Sutton, in Deakin, is very compassionate with a very caring manner and all the patience in the world.”
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commentators who have provided insightful feedback on the best and worst Canberra Psychologists.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra based Psychologists? Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?