Hopeless Youth Group (pictured) played their brand of psychedelic guitar rock in front of a packed house at The Phoenix last Saturday as part of the Save The Phoenix benefit. If you were one of the many unfortunates waiting in line to get in that night, you can catch Hopeless Youth Group playing with Sarky Bastard, The New Party and My Pet Ant at Transit Bar on Thursday from 8 pm.
On Friday, The Phoenix will be hosting Newcastle punk band Underachiever, with Helena Pop, Azim Zain & His Lovely Bones and Dalmacia opening the night. Meanwhile at Transit Bar, indie rockers Treehouses will be playing with Sleeping Dogs, Lost Coast, Jim Dusty and Dog Name.
Saturday we see things picking up again in the nation’s capital after the summer break. Of note is electro-wiz one-man-band GhostNoises putting together a whole band! They will be playing at Smith’s from 7 pm. Transit Bar will be hosting a show presented by The Next Movement, featuring hiphop acts Jedbrii, Theory and others, and The Basement will host both Jeremy Costa and folk-star Yhan Leal.
- King River Rising & Pleased To Jive You @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 pm start
- Smith’s Varietal #106 feat. MC The Wrst w/ Marlene Radice, Leon Twardy, Sam & Rosie and Faceless @ Smith’s Alternative, 9.30 – 11.30 pm
- Jazz Music Institute presents Summer Jazz Clinics Faculty Band @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Hopeless Youth Group, Sarky Bastard, The New Party and My Pet Ant @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Gang Gang Gypsy Jazz Jam @ Gang Gang Cafe, 6 – 9 pm
- Treehouses w/ Sleeping Dogs, Lost Coast, Jim Dusty and Dog Name @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Welter @ Smith’s Alternative, 8 – 10 pm
- Underachiever, Helena Pop, Azim Zain & His Lovely Bones and Dalmacia @ The Phoenix, 9 pm start
- Nepal Idol Contestants: Suraj Thapa, Sagar Ale and Kengal Meher Shrestha @ Harmonie German Club, 6 pm start
- GhostNoises @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Teen Angst Night: Bleach It Clean, October Snow, The Woppy Boys and Salad Buoy @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- The Urban Groove Affair: Jedbrii, Pat Psyfa, Theory, Anomic, Cappo and Beats J @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Jeremy Costa w/ Pleased to Jive You and The Postmasters @ The Basement, 8 pm start
- Yhan Leal @ The Basement, 8 pm start
- Sunday Jazz Jam @ Smith’s Alternative, 1.30 – 4 pm
- The Black Horses @ Smith’s Alternative, 4.30 pm start
- Shelley Short and Anthonie Tonnon @ The Front Gallery and Cafe, 5 pm start
- SoundOut presents Sofia Jernberg & Mette Rasmussen @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 – 9 pm
- Bootlegs Sessions: Hello Tut Tut, Zackerbilks and Alec Randles @ The Phoenix, 8 pm start
- Old Timey Tuesday @ Smith’s Alternative, 7 pm start
Check out our Gig Guide for upcoming world-class live music showcasing local talents, Australian artists, and international musical acts at some of the best venues in the country. Find out about the latest gallery and exhibition openings, new restaurants, all-day cultural events, family-friendly activities, and so much more. There truly is something on offer for everyone, no matter what tastes and interests you have.
Our What’s On page details the shows, events, and activities taking place over the coming days. We make it easy to plan your week, with all of the vital information in one place: when, where, who, and why.
So, get your diary ready and start making plans. It’s time to explore Canberra’s lively events calendar, and get the most out of life in our wonderful city.