Wollongong-based indie pop artist India Sweeney launches her album at Transit Bar this Friday, supported by locals Peach Lane and Endrey.
A classically trained pianist, Sweeney studied Jazz at university then formed and played in several bands before exploring her own take on ‘delicate pop’. Since releasing the dreamy Fly in 2017, she has gained a large following on Spotify and rave reviews, while performing and releasing two more singles, Go Try It and To the Ground.
Her music fuses pop with electronica, drawing upon personal themes to create warm, dancey tracks that blend vocal harmonies, playful electronic beats, piano, horns and strings. Combined with the sounds of Endrey and Peach Lane, the launch is set to be a great night of indie pop.
Wednesday, famous climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson share stories from their journey leading up to the ‘world’s hardest rock climb’, the Dawn Wall at the Canberra Theatre Centre.
Revellers can celebrate Jacinda Ardern’s birthday on Friday at Smith’s, with bands, comedians and poets including The Burley Griffin, Maddy Weeks, Miranda Lello, The Cashews and An Inconvenient Groove. While award-winning singer/songwriter Tate Sheridan returns to Smith’s for a show on his birthday, this Saturday.
As always, there’s another week ahead full of awesome live music in Canberra. Local electronic artist Truples emerges after a long break to launch his latest single Iso on Thursday at Transit Bar, supported by a line up of local DJs: Sgt Sprinkles, Thryve, Strides and Reubok.
If dancing is your winter medicine, ‘No Lights, No Lycra’ is celebrating 10 years with a free disco on Friday night with Canberra Dance Theatre. Or enjoy Colombian music and culture with music from Traditional vallenato band Mi Hermano y Yo (‘My brother and I’) as well as Momposina at Saturday’s Colombian Independence Day party.
‘Art Sparks’ is a series of free community art workshops, on Fridays and Sundays at the Belconnen Arts Centre. This Sunday, join resident artist Maria Cofinas, to create your own face collage: ‘a powerful and quick tool that allows you space and time to gain some insights into your life.’
- Winter Warmer Workshop with Studio Connect @ The Pod, Woden Town Square, 10 am start
- Midwinter Madness @ Smiths, 5:30 pm start
- Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson ‘The Dawn Wall’ @ Canberra Theatre Centre, 7 pm start
- Improv Cage Match @ Smiths, 7 pm start
- CBR DIG Crop Up Sessions w/ Hoon, Scab Baby, Sarky Bastard and Babe Fiasco @ sideway, 8pm start
- Rewind @ 88mph, 4pm start
- N.R Trio @ Smiths, 7 pm start
- Mixtape Chorus come and try night @ Gorman Arts Centre, 7:30 pm start
- Live Late Night Jazz @ Molly, 7:30 pm start
- Taikoz – the Beauty of 8 @ Canberra Theatre Centre, 8 pm start
- Music and Art @Pot Belly Bar, 8 pm start
- Truples ‘Iso’ single launch w/ Sgt. Sprinkles, Thryve, Reubok and Strides @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- CanbeRage Ep4 w/ Endrey, Jayne Hoschke, Fvceless and Lady Denman @ Smiths, 9pm start
- Soul Sessions w/ DJs Nigel Gentry and Pete Middleton @ Bar Rochford, 9 pm start
- Christine Jane w/ Good Gosh @ The Front, 7 pm start
- No Lights, No Lycra 10th birthday free event @ Canberra Dance Theatre, 7:30 pm start
- Superwog live @ Canberra Theatre Centre, 7:30 pm start
- India Sweeney Album Show w/ Endrey and Peach Lane@ Transit Bar, 8pm start
- The Narcissists w/ Dickie Birds, Danny Pratt and Jack Bird@ sideway, 8pm start
- TroPicando! Afro Latin selections w/ DJ DeDe Da Cruz@ The Highball Express, 8 pm start
- Beyond Comedy with Rose Piper@ Beyond Q Bookstore, 8pm start
- Jacinda Ardern’s birthday w/ The Burley Griffin, Maddy Weeks, Miranda Lello, The Cashews, An Inconvenient Groove, Cuddlefish, Little Bambi Valentine and Subspace Radio Marriage @ Smiths, 8 pm start
- Vybz Fridays: AfroHEAT w/ DJ Visu @ Treehouse, 9pm start
- World Tequila Weekend w/ Los Chavos, Tayuco Duo, DJ Rafaga and Rodrigo Percussion@ Old Canberra Inn, 12 pm start
- Make the beat DJ workshop w/ Brittany de Marco @ Mr Wolf, 12 pm start
- Winter Songwriter Sioree w/ Kim Yang, Alec Randles, Rebecca Mann and Bobby James @ Smiths, 3 pm start
- Colombian Independence Day celebration w/ Mi Hermano y Yo and Momposina @ Albert Hall, 5 pm start
- A conversation on ‘Narcos’ @ Canberra Theatre Centre, 7:30 pm start
- Harvey Sutherland + Loure @ UC Hub, 8pm start
- Tinderry ‘Stumbling Around’ tour w/ Pleased To Jive You and Verticoli @ Transit Bar, 8 pm start
- Tate Sheridan @ Smiths, 9 pm start
- THROB #3 queer party w/ Whiskey Houston @ sideway, 10 pm start
- Art Sparks free workshop: face collage insights @ Belconnen Arts Centre, 10:30 am start
- Sunday Jazz Jam @ Smiths, 1:30 pm start
- Carnival Road album launch @ Smiths, 4 pm start
- Jeff Lang @ Smiths, 7 pm start
- Lunchulele @ Smiths, 12:30 pm start
- That Poetry Thing w/ Elizabeth Allen and Tug Dumbly @ Smiths, 7 pm start
- Capital Club open band rehearsal @ Smiths, 9:30 pm start
- Lunchtime singfling @ Smiths, 12 pm start
- Winters’ Freezin’, Smiths is Hot w/ The Calum Stenning Band and Scroggin @ Smiths, 7:30 pm start
- Kira Puru w/ Kinder @ UC Hub, 8 pm start