Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Excellence in Public Sector consulting

Use of fog lights when there is no fog?

By JC 13 March 2011 44

What is it with all these clowns with modern cars fitted with fog lights that choose to drive with them on even when there is no fog? Rule 217 of the national road rules, link below, clearly states “The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog lights must not operate the fog light unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.”,  so why do people use them?

Had a bit of a scare the other night on William Hovell Drive when I had a car coming towards me using their fog lights with no fog around. The passenger side light was out so could see 3 lights coming my way and being so dark and their lights so bright I couldn’t actually see their vehicle. With the passengers side out the drivers side fog light look all the world like there was a motor bike overtaking the other vehicle in my lane. So not good, almost gave me a heart attack. So one good reason why these things should not be used except in fog as stated in the rules.

As a test I turned the ones fitted to my car on the other night to see what they actually do with no fog around (of course their were no other cars around at the time). All I found was they lit up the road for about 5m in front of my car, so really pretty useless things to be using if there is no fog.

Would love to hear from one of these clowns that use them as to what they are hoping to achieve?

http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/ni/2010-113/current/pdf/2010-113.pdf

What’s Your opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
44 Responses to
Use of fog lights when there is no fog?
Filter
Showing only Website comments
Order
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Pandy 9:22 pm 17 Mar 11

Holden Caulfield said :

JC said :

Maybe in the Audi they also double as ‘parking’ lights, which can and do stay on when the headlights are on.

Yes, they do. And when the headlights are on the formerly quite bright DRLs should become less bright once the headlights have been activated. Similarly, when the light switch is on the “parking” setting the DRLs will be less intense than when left in the “auto” setting.

there’s more to, but I’ll save from boring the audience too much, haha.

So mum bought you an Audi for Christmas then hey?

Couln’t afford a Porche then what?

EvanJames 1:34 pm 15 Mar 11

People heading to the coast might have noticed the lit-up sign as you clear Qbn with a message about it being illegal to operate fog lights when it’s not foggy. Maybe the NSW Plod are planning to go after idiots who use them.

Holden Caulfield 1:01 pm 15 Mar 11

JC said :

Maybe in the Audi they also double as ‘parking’ lights, which can and do stay on when the headlights are on.

Yes, they do. And when the headlights are on the formerly quite bright DRLs should become less bright once the headlights have been activated. Similarly, when the light switch is on the “parking” setting the DRLs will be less intense than when left in the “auto” setting.

there’s more to, but I’ll save from boring the audience too much, haha.

davecdp 10:14 am 15 Mar 11

99% of people think they look cool or it makes their car go faster. The other 1% have either forgot to turn them off or are to lazy to read the manual to find out what that pesky light on the dash means.

As for Daytime Running Lights, Audi’s look ok and don’t bother me but the HSV equivalent looks like they went to Tandy and glued a $2 light strip on the front of the car!

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2018 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site