Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Politics

Chamberlains - complete legal services for business

We need a Mr Fluffy inquiry now: Hanson

By Charlotte Harper - 26 October 2015 5

facebook mr fluffy demolition

Leader of the Opposition Jeremy Hanson has called on the ACT Government to begin a board of inquiry into the Mr Fluffy crisis immediately so that it can report back before the 2016 election.

Mr Hanson said that as the first anniversary of the Government’s decision to go ahead with a buyback scheme for Mr Fluffy properties approached, there was no excuse for the Government not to initiate a board of inquiry.

“A bipartisan committee inquiry last year called on the government to constitute a Board of Inquiry to report by March 2016. To date Andrew Barr has refused to act,” Mr Hanson said.

Mr Barr said it would consider an inquiry but its first priority was assisting affected home-owners.

‘The ACT Government’s priority is to deal with Mr Fluffy. We’re helping homeowners move on and removing the Mr Fluffy problem once and for all, for all Canberrans.

 

‘As we’ve always said, once we have completed this process, we will then look at some kind of inquiry.

 

‘I’m disappointed that once again the Liberal party has chosen to politicise the Mr Fluffy response, rather than supporting the government as we look to help affected homeowners as quickly as possible.’

 

Mr Hanson said there were many different aspects of the Mr Fluffy crisis that need to be thoroughly examined including the ACT government’s knowledge of and handling of the issue since self government.

“Many Canberrans have been deeply affected by Mr Fluffy financially, emotionally and through the adverse health impacts. ACT Labor oversaw the Mr Fluffy crisis; the government should initiate the process to bring it to a close. It’s what the Mr Fluffy victims deserve,” he said.

What’s Your opinion?


Please login to post your comments
5 Responses to
We need a Mr Fluffy inquiry now: Hanson
1
wildturkeycanoe 7:52 am
26 Oct 15
#

Apart from giving victims “closure”, whatever that means, what is the purpose of this inquiry?
The government of the time will escape any repercussion as it no longer exists, just as the “insurance” that was supposed to protect owners.
An inquiry will drag on for years, cost taxpayers more money and will not yield any real benefits to the former owners of the houses involved. This smells of political motivations designed to appoint blame to present government for the mistakes of the past in order to gain favor with voters.
Who will be on the board of inquiry? How much money will they make whilst they are busy finding “facts” from the long shredded paperwork that proves incompetence from a business that has disappeared into the pages of history?
These types of inquest are what rapes our budgets into the red. They are a pointless waste of money and do nothing except manipulate the opinions of voters whilst further lining the pockets of the already quite wealthy political bureaucracy.

Report this comment

2
StevenGibbs 8:26 pm
26 Oct 15
#

wildturkeycanoe said :

… finding “facts” from the long shredded paperwork that proves incompetence from a business that has disappeared into the pages of history?

I think the point of the enquiry is to work out whether the current fluffy scheme was designed and implemented well. Looking into whether it was right to force people from their houses at 2014 value and have them buy their land back at 2016-2019 value after a bubble (Why should they foot the bill? They didn’t do anything wrong). Why is it costing the government $120,000 just for the demolitions when privately it is $80,000 for asbestos demolitions (Normal demolition is about $20,000)? Why is it taking so long and why can they not give any estimates at all for what people will need to pay for their block ahead of time? They can’t even keep to a schedule so land values are going out of control. Meanwhile neighbours are left with a house next door that will go to wrack and ruin, driving their immediate house price down while their neighbourhood soars. Good luck selling a house next to a cordoned off fluffy for a reasonable price in the next few years. Some of them will still be there in 5 or 6 years at least.

Report this comment

3
rosscoact 9:49 pm
26 Oct 15
#

StevenGibbs said :

wildturkeycanoe said :

… finding “facts” from the long shredded paperwork that proves incompetence from a business that has disappeared into the pages of history?

I think the point of the enquiry is to work out whether the current fluffy scheme was designed and implemented well. Looking into whether it was right to force people from their houses at 2014 value and have them buy their land back at 2016-2019 value after a bubble (Why should they foot the bill? They didn’t do anything wrong). Why is it costing the government $120,000 just for the demolitions when privately it is $80,000 for asbestos demolitions (Normal demolition is about $20,000)? Why is it taking so long and why can they not give any estimates at all for what people will need to pay for their block ahead of time? They can’t even keep to a schedule so land values are going out of control. Meanwhile neighbours are left with a house next door that will go to wrack and ruin, driving their immediate house price down while their neighbourhood soars. Good luck selling a house next to a cordoned off fluffy for a reasonable price in the next few years. Some of them will still be there in 5 or 6 years at least.

Maybe the ACT should have taken the federal government’s and the NSW government’s approach and said your problem, you can deal with it?

I know some people have an expectation that there is simply no limit to what they are entitled to but it would seem that while nothing is perfect, they got a pretty good deal.

Report this comment

4
wildturkeycanoe 6:49 am
27 Oct 15
#

StevenGibbs said :

I think the point of the enquiry is to work out whether the current fluffy scheme was designed and implemented well. Looking into whether it was right to force people from their houses at 2014 value and have them buy their land back at 2016-2019 value after a bubble (Why should they foot the bill? They didn’t do anything wrong). Why is it costing the government $120,000 just for the demolitions when privately it is $80,000 for asbestos demolitions (Normal demolition is about $20,000)? Why is it taking so long and why can they not give any estimates at all for what people will need to pay for their block ahead of time?

A) It was right for the government to buy at 2014 prices and sell for profit, because it makes them money.
B) It costs more for the government to do the demolitions because there is a third party involved [some bureaucrat/s] who needs to be paid a large six figure sum for thinking up the scheme in point A.
C) It takes so long because it keeps the person/s mentioned in point B in their job longer, thereby making it a career.
D) Since when have any government estimates been correct and not blown out by billions of dollars? Nobody will ever determine the real reasons why, it is all shrouded in secrecy and red tape.

There you go, no need for an inquiry any more I have answered all your questions in plain English. That’s a whole lot more than you’ll ever get from a government funded probe into the “truth”.

Report this comment

5
gooterz 1:00 am
07 Feb 17
#

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.

Search across the site