A garage is a luxury that many Canberran homeowners desire and enjoy. A great garage not only adds value to your home; it also enhances your way of life. Whether you have a single, two door, three door garage or more; its first and foremost role is to house a vehicle.
A garage provides a secure space to shelter and protect our cars, along with all the equipment that comes with home and garden care. Many of us can attest to having a bike, lawn mower, hedger, and the odd trestle table, all neatly housed in the sanctity of our garage.
Indeed, the automated garage has become a mainstay for suburban homes the region wide. With its sheer convenience and single touch functionality it is not hard to see why. Property owners can access what they need without so much as lifting a finger – and even lock it securely once done.
The only challenge is knowing where to start. With a myriad of product options available all styles and colours, the possibilities are endless. This is where the regions garage door experts really come into their own.
Canberra’s garage door installers and repairs know a thing or two about the largest moving piece of our homes. But tread carefully. Choose the wrong team and you could end up with misaligned door that does real damage to your home.
So, if you are staring at plans for a new build or looking upgrade your retro wares then you have come to the right place. We have done our homework and hunted down the finest garage door installers and repairers in the region.
What makes a great garage door installer and repairer?
Great garage door installers and repairers can seamlessly transition a gaping cavity into an enclosed auto sanctuary. They can mend, repair, and replace all manner of garage door styles and are available when you need them most. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Reputable & experienced. Often, you can only determine the result of an installation or repair once the job is done. That is why selecting a reputable and experienced garage door expert is so important. A good reputation provides peace of mind, with endorsements from customers or family and friends. And a few years of proven experience means that are more adept to the nuances of their trade. So review past customer feedback, testimonials, and business credentials.
- Accredited & insured. The best garage door installers and repairers come assured. This means backing by professional bodies, accreditation, and insurance. Look for supplier accreditation, including vendor specific training on installation and repairs. Finally, ensure your installer or repairer has public liability insurance to project anyone on site.
- Rounded offering. Not all garage door installers are created equal. Some specialise in a type of product or installation, while others focus on a specific market segment. Aspects may include design, supply, and installation of a new garage doors; conversions from manual to automatic; and door replacements. Consider your project needs and match accordingly. A well-rounded offering with experience in your area of need points to a quality installation and peace of mind.
- Quality installations. In many cases a garage door is the single largest moving component of a home. A component of this scale should only be handled by expertly trained technicians. Consider your installers previous projects, the brands they support, warranty periods, and experience levels within their team. These are all indicators which can help you assess the quality of installation.
- Maintenance & emergency services. Like any other piece of machinery, garage doors require regular maintenance to ensure reliable and safe operation. And, as some warranties are conditional, preventative maintenance is required to ensure validity. Components may need the occasional repair or replacement from wear and tear. The best garage door experts will be able to repair, maintain, and replace any parts as needed. Whilst reviewing your options with installers, consider those who offer maintenance and emergency services under the one roof. Centralised services provide long term cost and time savings, along with help when you need it most.
The best garage door installers and repairers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Since 1967, WR Engineering has provided high-quality garage door installation, repair and service. This family-owned business is B&D accredited so clients can rest easy knowing their garage door is safe, secure and reliable. WR Engineering only stocks quality Australian-made garage doors.
The experienced team at WR Engineering gets the job right the first time, paying close attention to detail.
WR Engineering’s range includes three styles of roller doors. Sectional doors – minimalist, modern straight line and classic styles – come in 61 colours and finish options. A Designer Series Range is available and WR Engineering custom designs doors.
Garage doors come with up to a 10-year warranty. WR Engineering offers a one-stop, easy-to-use warranty assistance, a price-match guarantee and free measure and quote.
Lachlan McLean wrote on Google, “Bit of drama at our place this morning. Garage door came away from the wall. Rang WR Engineering- they were awesome, came in a couple of hours. Then it got fixed ...”
Canberra-based Specialised Garage Doors boast over 19 years of experience in the garage door industry. Expertise sits within the premium residential sector, offering garage door installation, service, and repairs.
Specialised Garage Doors work with some leading manufactures including Steel-Line and Taurean. Their range includes panel, roller, and sectional options in a variety of finishes and colours. For some of the best brands and even better service look to Specialised Garage Doors.
Pamela shared her wonderful experience on Google, “On two occasions now we have called on Specialised Garage Doors to assist…. Both times they have arrived on the same day and shown upmost professionalism and thoroughness to their work. I highly recommend this company to anyone seeking to purchase, service or repair their garage doors.”
Locally owned and operated, Capital Doorworks specialise in the design, construction, and installation of quality garage doors. Operating across residential, commercial, and industrial markets Capital Doorworks can install everything from single roller doors to those spanning 10 metres high.
Their team of experienced and professional technicians can also assist with servicing and repairs Canberra wide. With a reputation for quality and value and two convenient locations Capital Doorworks are a great choice.
Sam Irvine was wrapped with his experience sharing this review on Google, “Great service, timely response to enquiry and the delivery and installation was on time.”
Locally owned JMC Garage Doors are the go-to for property owners, builders, and property managers, across Canberra and surrounds. As local garage door experts they specialise in garage door and motor repair, supply, and installation.
Products include an extensive range and colourway of roller and sectional doors, along with door insulation, openers, and remotes. They can also assist with custom designs made to exact specifications. Should your door need attention, the team offers comprehensive servicing and repairs from adjusting tracks to spring suspension and more.
Erin Smythe shared her great experience on Google, “Excellent service…. I highly recommend these guys, not only for their quality service but also for their attitude and pride in their work.”
Owner operated ACT Garage Doors, have built a reputation for their personalised service and quality installations. Their team of D&B trained technicians have supplied and fitted thousands of doors in the Canberra region.
Specialising in tilt, roller, and sectional garage doors they can also assist well beyond installation. Offering a 24-hour emergency assistance and regularly scheduled maintenance your doors will run quieter and smoother. For comprehensive garage door services at competitive prices look to ACT Garage Doors.
Pete Sake shared this great review on Google, “Great service, timely response to enquiry and the delivery and installation was on time.”
To integrate your new garage door have a read of our article on the best electricians and the best home automation system installers that Canberra has to offer. For other home repairs, you might like our article on the best gutter repair and replacement services, the best plumbers and the best drain relining services in the region. And, for some professional help with your broader project check out our article on the best builders and renovators and the best architects in Canberra.
Your experience with garage door installers and repairers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the garage door installers and repairers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What materials are garage doors made of?
Garage doors are available in a variety of materials including steel, aluminium, or timber, along with various composites. Steel is perhaps the most used material, regarded for its durability and affordability. Aluminium is gaining popularity for its lightweight construct and rust resistance. There's also timber, which lends itself well to aesthetics however does require significantly more maintenance.
What types of garage door are available?
When it comes to garage doors there are three core types with some minor hybrids also available. These include a roller, sectional, and tilt door. The most common is a roller, with the door stored in a roll while open. A sectional door, characterised by panels that allow a degree of articulation while folding away at the ceiling. Tilt doors operate on a spring-loaded mechanism that folds up and out.
Can I install a new garage door myself?
If you have a background in construction and are handy with tools you may be able to install a new garage door as part of a DIY project with assistance from others. Bear in mind that garage doors are incredibly heavy and need proper installation and fitting to operate smoothly. A professional installation may be a quicker option, and one that produces a long-lasting quality finish.
What does a garage door installation cost?
Due to size and material options available, costs for supply and installation vary quite significantly. These rates typically range from $600 on the lower end for a single roller door, all the way to upwards of $5,000 for a double sectional door. Custom doors or those that span more than a double are inherently more expensive. For the most accurate quote contact your local garage door installer.
How often should a garage door be serviced?
While garage door use varies from household to household most door manufacturers suggest a regular maintenance scheduled every 12 months. This preventative servicing and maintenance will keep a door at its optimum whilst also monitoring for any wear and tear. If in doubt, check in with your installer or repairer for their recommended servicing schedule.