Second only to water, concrete is the single most used material on earth – and it is easy to understand why. As a building material concrete strength improves over time, it is built to last.
For the most part concrete resists weathering and erosion and needs little maintenance. It creates firm foundations, stable slabs, and offers excellent support for structures great and small. Concrete can also be beautiful! Suspended slabs are the backbone for some of Canberra’s architectural delights, and our landscapes glisten from Deakin to Dunlop with decorative concrete features.
So, if you’re looking for a top-notch concrete contractor in the Canberra region you have come to the right place. Whether your concreting needs are residential, commercial, or industrial, there is no doubt that you are seeking excellence from the piers up.
The challenge however is making a confident decision when you really only know what you’ve paid for once it is poured. Fortunately, we have selected a curated list of the best concrete contractors in the region. These companies can do it all, from driveways and slabs, to tennis courts, entire car parks and more.
What makes a great concreter?
The best concreters are not only highly skilled and experienced trades, they are specialists in delivering top notch finished products that are structurally sound and stand the test of time. Here are our tips on finding a great concrete contractor:
- Qualified, licensed, insured. When seeking a concreter trade qualifications and appropriate licencing are key. The best concreters hold a trade qualification in concreting, formwork, or construction carpentry at TAFE. They will also operate with a building license issued the ACT Planning and Land Authority. If your contractor also works in surrounding NSW, they will hold a General Concreting licence issued by Fair Trading. Last, and by no means least, ensure your concreter is adequately insured. Chemicals used in concreting can be toxic and operations dangerous, so request for proof of their public liability insurance.
- Highly experienced. A concrete contractor with over five years experience can signify that you are dealing with a stable trade with a reliable commitment. Experienced teams are smooth operators, completing jobs as safely as possible – and to high standards. Moreover, an experienced contractor can more readily attend to any challenges and is more likely to provide the right advice for the pour and thereafter.
- Great reputation. While expertise is always key, reputation goes a long way to assessing your concreters credentials. An experienced concrete contractor will have a proven track record of consistently producing high-quality projects. While supplied testimonials are useful, reviews on third party websites and past customer reviews are most beneficial. This is so important as erroneous pours can not only reduce stability, but also be costly to repair in the years that follow.
- Solid portfolio. To get a good steer on the type of projects your contractor delivers request to view their portfolio. Some may specialise in large scale commercial, while others are more suited to residential projects. Ensure you seek a contractor with experience delivering projects akin to your own. Doing this will ensure they are well equipped to handle any issues that arise. A quick review their portfolio will allow you to assess their compatibility with your project, and also assess the quality of finish.
- Tight project management. As with many trades, concreting works require comprehensive scheduling of people, tasks, and material. Given the sensitive nature of mixed concrete, finding a contractor that can efficiently manage a project is key. Sub-standard formwork and a late pour can compromise quality and structural integrity. The best concrete contractors will provide comprehensive schedule plans with transparency over head count and time frames.
Important essentials to check before engaging a concreter
To ensure a quality installation to avoid a mediocre contractor spend a couple of minutes to review the following:
- Confirm that the concreter runs a registered business through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Ensure your concreter holds an appropriate builders licence by checking the Access Canberra list of Licenced Builders.
- Verify that the concreter hold the appropriate level of public liability insurance.
- Be clear on contracted inclusions, terms, and conditions.
The best concreters in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Founded locally in the 1970’s by husband and wife duo Tom and Leonie Elvin, Elvin group has grown from humble beginnings to a multi divisional organisation anchored in concreting supply.
Elvin Group supplies premix concrete from their Mitchell and Hume plants, servicing the ACT with their fleet of concrete trucks. Additionally, they offer a comprehensive concreters warehouse stocking equipment, accessories, and supplies, and Fastreo – a range of steel products used for laying concrete. Look to Elvin Group first for all your concreting supply needs.
Mark Foster shared this great review on Google, “Just great to deal with. Wonderful staff.”
PC Concerting Canberra is a locally owned family business operating in Canberra and surrounds. As a one-stop solutions for all concreting needs they cater to both commercial and residential projects.
PC Concreting offers an array of new concrete products from slabs to driveways and retaining walls. Additionally, they also offer resurfacing, cutting, grinding, and edging
With years of experience and demonstrable craftsmanship you can rest assured you are in very capable hands.
Robert Small left this review on Google, “Great job extending our existing driveway. Competitively priced, professional service and high attention to detail.”
With highly skilled tradespeople, a fleet of industry-leading machinery, and the best quality tools, Gungahlin Concrete Services are one of the leading concreting companies in the Canberra region.
Committed to project success, safety, and client satisfaction, the team uses their 20 plus years of on-the-job experience to help residential, commercial, and industrial clients with their concreting needs.
From excavation and site preparation, to new slabs of all forms, concrete pumping and decorative services Gungahlin Concrete Services are a great choice.
Simon Parr shared his feedback on Google, “Professional concrete services covering large commercial as well residential needs with a fleet of modern concrete pumps.”
Established in 2003 by owner operators Phil Page and Todd Royal, Concrete Makers are a local concreting small business offering specialised services for residential and commercial premises.
As their name suggests, Concrete Makeovers offers comprehensive repair and refurbish services. Moreover, they also install new concrete for driveways, footings, and house slabs and add decorative finishes like stencils and coloured concrete. Notably, they offer Kwik Kerb, a superior edging product. For exception service, quality finishes and competitive pricing look to Concrete Makeovers.
Lucinda McIntyre had this to say about Concrete Makeovers on Google, “Todd and Phil were great to deal with. On time, affordable, honest, and provided a great finished product. I can highly recommend Concrete Makeovers.”
Established by owner operator Steve Elliot forty years ago, Ellcon Concrete deliver some of the best concreting solutions across Canberra. They pride themselves on delivering quality as sound as their slabs; and have an excellent reputation for doing just that.
Catering to clients from all sectors Ellcon Concrete supply and install new concrete for primary structures, along with secondary structures like driveways and pathways. With a highly experienced team and application of advanced methods Ellcon Concrete are a great choice.
Tom Ryan shared this review of Ellcon Concrete on Google, “Great to deal with, 100% recommend.”
If you’re looking for more information on concreters in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best builders and renovators and the best landscapers, or these articles on the best plumbers and the best electricians Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with concreters in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the concreters listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.