From sun dried bricks in the Middle East circa 7,500 BC, to fired bricks in China circa 4,000 BC, there is plenty of speculation around who first used bricks and when. Regardless of its origins, the art of bricklaying remains as popular today as it did all those years ago.
And this is with good reason! Bricks have a stack of great qualities that continue to make them popular. Firstly, they offer incredible thermal mass, providing both warming and cooling as the seasons require. Secondly, they offer excellent acoustic insulation keeping internal noises in, and external noises out. Thirdly, they are durable and stand as beautifully now as they did decades ago. And last, but certainly not least, they require little maintenance.
While brick colours and tones may come and go, one thing is certain. Quality is the name of the game. Whether you are considering single brick, double brick, or brick veneer you know that you will benefit from well laid masonry for years to come.
But to whom can you entrust this mammoth task? Well, if you are searching for a bricklayer in Canberra then you have come to the right place. We have put our ears to the ground and complied a list of the best brickies in the region. Without further ado, let’s continue!
What makes a great bricklayer?
The best bricklayers are not only skilled and experienced trades; they are specialists in delivering marvellous masonry that is structurally sound and stands the test of time. Here are our tips on finding a great bricklayer:
- Qualified, licensed, insured. When seeking a bricklayer trade qualifications and appropriate licencing are key. The best bricklayers hold a trade qualification in bricklaying, along with stone masonry from TAFE. If your contractor also works in surrounding NSW, they will hold a bricklaying licence issued by Fair Trading. Last, and by no means least, ensure your bricklayer is adequately insured.
- Highly experienced. A bricklayer with more years in the game than not, is often a good indicator of experience. So, look for trades with a minimum of five years and ideally those who have been hands on and managed teams. Experienced teams are great operators, completing jobs as safely as possible – and to high standards. The quality of finish is particularly important for those walls where brick masonry is exposed. In this instance the first fix is also the last, and experience makes all the difference. Finally, bricklaying can be messy business. Experienced bricklayers are tidy, keeping messy mortar away from neighbouring structures.
- Great reputation. While expertise is always key, reputation goes a long way to assessing your brickies credentials. An experienced brick contractor will have a proven track record of consistently producing high-quality projects. While supplied testimonials are useful, reviews on third party websites and past customer reviews are most beneficial. This is so important as erroneous walls can not only reduce stability, but also be costly to repair in the years that follow. Remember, exposed brick masonry must be done correctly the first time – there are no second chances!
- Portfolio match. To get a good steer on the type of projects your contractor delivers request to view their portfolio. Some may specialise in repair work, while others may have expertise in both bricklaying and stone masonry. Ensure you seek a contractor with experience delivering projects akin to your own. Doing so ensures they are equipped to complete the project to perfection; and address any issues that arise. A quick review their portfolio will allow you to assess their compatibility with your project, and the quality of finish.
- Project perfection. As with many trades, bricklaying works require comprehensive scheduling of people, tasks, and material. While brick quality is often assured by manufacturers, it is nothing without a perfect mortar setting. The best brick contractors will provide comprehensive schedule plans with transparency over head count, material, and time frames.
The best bricklayers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Since its inception in 1994, locally owned and operated CTR Pacific have been delivering commercial bricklaying to the Canberra region. Their specialisation in brick and block laying for large scale construction has seen countless projects for both private and public sectors.
With experience delivering office blocks, aged care facilities, schools, factories, car dealerships and more, you can rest assured with CTR Pacific. With an impressive portfolio and projects of varying sizes, look to CTR Pacific for your next commercial project.
Locally operated owner Dean Wickham, DW Bricklaying is Canberra’s premium brick contractor. With over ten years-experience Dean and the team come well regarded for all manner of brickwork, from new construction, to renovations, through to repairs and maintenance.
DW Bricklaying can also assist with in-home projects including BBQ areas, pizza ovens, letter boxes, chimney’s, and fences. For this team quality is the name of the game, with a first-time right approach. With over 700 buildings built DW Bricklaying are an excellent choice.
The Brickboys are a bricklaying service company providing complete bricklaying solutions for both residential and commercial clients alike. For them, bricklaying isn’t just a job – it is a passion.
Offering general bricklaying works, residential and commercial construction, along with materials management they can assist with project planning all the way through to completed project works. For quality finished brickwork with a personalised touch look to the Brickboys.
Aleksandar Mitrevski had this to say about Brickboys on Facebook, “I highly recommend Brickboys, easy to deal with, fair quotes and quality work.”
If you’re looking for more information on business related legal services in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best concreters, the best carpenters, the best fencing contractors, the best builders and renovators, and the best landscapers Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with bricklayers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the bricklayers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.