Whether you need to relieve tension, reduce discomfort or just want to relax and unwind, a great massage therapist can do you the world of good.
Trained massage therapists manipulate the body’s soft tissues to improve your health and wellbeing. Many types of massage therapy are available, each with benefits.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a massage therapist, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great massage therapist?
Choosing the right massage therapist will make you feel better as quickly as possible. Massage can your stress away.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a massage therapist.
- Experience. Massage therapists don’t legally require formal qualifications to practice in Australia. However, you should look for a therapist who is experienced and also registered with the Australian Association of Massage Therapists.
- Style of treatment. Not all massage therapists specialise in all types of massage. This means you’ll need to choose one who can meet your needs. Some, for example, specialise in pregnancy massage. Others specialise in remedial massage. Some massage therapists have a specific style like Thai or Swedish.
- Friendly. Quality massage therapists are friendly and personable. They make you feel comfortable and at ease during your massage.
- Pleasant environment. Great massage therapists have treatment rooms that are calm, clean and pleasant, not cold and uninviting. A pleasant environment helps you relax and enjoy the experience.
- Price. The price of your massage will vary on various factors. This includes the type and length of your massage. It’s best to shop online, or make some phone calls, to ensure you pay a fair and competitive price.
The best massage therapists in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With studios in Braddon and Phillip, Siam Senses Thai Massage and Day Spa provides high-quality treatments at reasonable prices. Massage styles include remedial, traditional Thai, hot rock, prenatal and postnatal. Appointments start at 30 minutes and go up to 135 minutes. Only the finest organic products are used. Siam Senses is an accredited massage provider with an Australian Traditional Medicine Society registration.
On Google, Christie Barry wrote, “Very professional remedial massage with good pressure and communication.”
Clinic 88 operates three clinics in Canberra – Macquarie, Deakin and Woden. Each is a multidisciplinary clinic that assess and treats aches, pains and injuries. Remedial massage and sports massage are two services available. Clinic 88 has a large team of therapists who are all trained, experienced and caring. With remedial massage, all therapists are registered for health insurance rebates.
Kellie Lane wrote on Facebook, “Great staff. Great service. They really know what they’re doing.”
Massage for Health has a large team of therapists and specialises in remedial, relaxation and sports massage. All therapists are trained and have years of experience. Several styles of treatment are available, including remedial, relaxation/deep tissue, sports and corporate/workplace massage. Traditional Chinese medicine and massage is also available.
Penelope Hanley wrote on Google, “Definitely five stars from me for Emma and all the therapists who have looked after me over many years when I’ve had different injuries.”
Therapy Masters offers a wide range of massage services with all therapists trained and experienced. Massage styles include relaxation, remedial, hot stone, and pregnancy. All practitioners are members of professional associations such as the Association of Massage Therapists and Massage Australia.
On Google, A Solo wrote, “I have been to this clinic many times and love the variety of modalities, friendly accredited therapists, city location, the loyalty program …”
Elite Massage Solutions is about improving the way clients move. Through a personalised and individual approach, Elite Massage Solutions offers remedial, sports, deep tissue and relaxation massages. The business is a member of the Association of Massage Therapists.
On Google, Matt Hayes wrote, “Kellie takes great pride in providing a clean, calm and comfortable space for her clients. She is extremely professional in her manner and service, always discusses treatment options … and genuinely cares …”
If you’re looking for more information on massage services, you might like our articles on the best remedial massage clinics, the best massages in Belconnen, the best Thai massage, best Chinese massage centres and best pregnancy massage that Canberra has to offer.