Finally got to planning that bucket-list trip to Perisher? Or perhaps the alpine bug is calling your name back to the black runs at Thredbo? If you are planning a trip to the snow this season you will need to organise your gear before you even so much as look at a lift pass!
Much like every sport, skiing and snowboarding requires a few pieces of equipment to get going. Unlike other sports, these pieces are a lot more specialised and can be rather confusing for even the well initiated.
Once you tally up a checklist of all the essentials it can get a little pricey; particularly when your intended use may be a week here or a weekend there.
This is where ski and board hire services can help. Ski and board hire services offer a practical, convenient, and affordable solution to ensuring to have the right gear every time you hit the slopes.
Being in such close proximity to some of Australia’s most renowned alpine ranges; Canberra offers a number of great ski and board hire options a little closer to home.
What makes a great ski and board hire?
Skiing and snowboarding are technical sports which require some equally technical gear! Choosing the right ski and board hire service will ensure you have the right kit fitted like a glove, so that even in the toughest alpine conditions you remain warm, dry, and safe.
When considering where to hire your ski and board equipment it may be helpful to keep the following in mind:
- Location. When it comes to hiring equipment there are a couple of options; consider your needs and available time when it comes to the service’s location. Ski and board hire can be found closer to the powder in surrounds like Cooma; and on the resorts themselves. Demand may be higher here; as well as prices as they cater to a raft of clientele many of which have travelled from afar. A great alternative is sourcing gear locally in Canberra, allowing you to collect ahead of time, avoid the ques often found at the slopes, and take advantage of the more competitive rates.
- Fit Experts. With such specialist equipment in place, you will want to ensure you are being fitted by someone who knows their stuff. Take skiing for example – there are boots; bindings for the boots; poles; and all manner of apparel. Then there are the skis themselves. A ski has a raft of variables think camber, radius, flex, and profile – each to match a specific fit and purpose. The best ski and board hire services employ highly experienced staff to ensure you not only have the right gear for your skill level, but also that which is comfortable.
- Condition and Cleanliness. When selecting a ski and board hire service in Canberra take note of equipment condition and cleanliness. Great hire services keep their gear in top notch condition and clean thoroughly after each hire. You will spend a considerable amount of time wearing each piece so check hygiene practices at the store and take the time to peruse any past client reviews.
- Quality and Style. One of the pros with hiring snow gear is that you can take advantage of seasonal trends and styles. Great hire services not only stock a wide range of the latest gear; they also pride themselves on superior quality. Hired equipment is put through its paces during a busy season and quality products go the distance when it comes to durability on the slopes.
- Flexible Hire. The best ski and board hire services provide options that cater to the individual needs of its clientele. When shopping around for hire equipment consider your skill level and the frequency that you expect to hit the slopes. While single day options are perfect for last minute trips, it may be more economical to hire gear for the season if you anticipate that you be skiing or boarding more frequently.
The best ski and board hire in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Straight Line Sports is Canberra’s premier sports adventure store specialising in ski, snowboard, scuba diving, spearfishing, scooters, and inline skating.
Established in 2006 by ski and scuba aficionado Andy Nicholls; the stores expert staff share his enthusiasm and love of the great outdoors. The team pride themselves on their exemplary service, superior knowledge and the best boot fit in town.
Stocking the latest products from leading brands in snow, scuba, and more Straight Line Sports offer an expansive range of specialist gear for all skill levels. In addition to their storefront Straight Line Sports also provides a convenient and locally based hire service for skiing and snowboarding equipment.
Servicing all equipment needs great and small, hire is available for hardware and apparel in men’s, women’s, and children’s sizing. Bet it a helmet, some bindings, or the whole ensemble Straight Line Sports has you covered.
Hire options are incredibly flexible with single day to an entire snow season available. Straight Line Sports offers competitive rates on both hire and insurance, as well as added value services like complimentary tuning on products under seasonal hire.
Proudly boasting some of the best maintained rental equipment around; you can be assured of highest quality and the best fit every time. Whether you are chasing the next cold spell or just beginning on your snow journey our 7-day a week support and advice are here to help.
Alexander Gould shared this glowing review on Google, “I’m here way too often. Amazing staff that are very knowledgeable and will give you the best advice. A massive selection of gear at reasonable prices. I highly recommend for all your snowboarding and skiing needs!”
With over thirty-five years in the game, Belconnen Ski and Board is locally operated by Steve Chait, an ex-professional skier and now business owner. Steve’s years of experience has translated into a comprehensive range of products from some of the world’s top ski and board suppliers.
Belconnen Ski and Board offers a variety of hire options catering to all skill levels, from single items to larger packages available from a day to a week’s hire.
Ian Holland shared this great review on Google, “Armed with a million first timer questions Steve was friendly and patiently answered them and gave us great advice. The gear we rented was super clean and in excellent condition. The pick-up and drop-off was convenient too. I’d definitely recommend them to anybody looking to hire ski gear.”
Your experience with ski and board hire in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the ski and board hire services listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below